Hacking About to tear my hair out

mafoose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii that started out as v3.1u, the DVD drive is toast.
I bannerbombed and got HBC installed.

Played some snes9x and whatever. That all works.

Tried installing USB Loader 1.5 with cIOS38 rev13b.
Everything installed fine.
BUT No backups boot.

Followed this:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

And got sysmenu 4.0u installed. Followed everything to the "T", and everything installed without fuss.
Reinstalled USB Loader and still nada, except Super Paper Mario gets "Exception (DIS) occurred!".
Nothing else even tries to boot through USB loader (screen stays black).
BTW this is with cIOS36 rev10.

Followed the same tutorial and revert to 3.2u.
(beforehand I run cIOS Uninstaller, and AnyTitleRemoverMOD to delete IOSs 249 and the USB Loader channels)
Again, everything installs without a hitch.

The guide uses IOS36 rev10, so I install the original USB Loader 1.5.
Still NOTHING BOOTS VIA USB!!!

Any ideas??
How do I "start fresh" without internet? If that's not doable, should I just get a wireless router and do update? Will that clear ALL of the cIOSs installed and patched ones as well?
I'd like to start from the very beginning. I don't mind bannerbombing it again and starting from scratch.
Is this the only way to go "factory fresh" without a DVD drive?
Any other ideas I should try before I do this?
Or should I put the Wii in an SNES case and call it done?

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just try installing cIOS rev11 and then use USB Loader 1.5 from the HBC (rev13 is unstable imo). When you say nothing boots via USB, what exactly happens when you open USB Loader? Are you using games that are the same region as your system?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to install the usb loader everytime you want to just test it. Try just using the .dol of it from the hbc to test before installing channels and such of it.

Also getting to a point of "starting fresh" alone will probably just be harder than continuing from where you are now. Updating will not touch any cIOS, only the normal IOS's will be updated and you probably don't want that.

What wbfs manager are you using to put games on your hard drive?
And the usb loader you tried sees those games, but just doesn't load them properly?
And since you say you don't have a router did you install the cios's via a wad installation?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Stop that updating and downgrading! That's absolutely useless.

The only factors that matter for usb loading are(in that order):
- The used port. cIOSrev12 and up require you to use the top port, for all other cIOS it does not matter
- The installed cIOS. You can only have one installed at the same time.
- The enclosure
- The used loader. No need to reinstall 100x times, no real difference if started via channel or from HBC
- The method how you got the games on the HDD, via wbfs manager or via loader
- The HDD

Everything else has 0 influence on the loading, so stop messing with your firmware, especially when you have NO idea what you are doing.

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe its just your drive?
Some kinds of hds need to be plugged out then in or some other ways to get to work, but if it actually sees them it might be something else maybe the iso?

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the doublepost ,but I found your solution!
I started having the same problem with my maxtor 250 gb drive ever since I installed cios rev10 into my wii and that was yesterday,but with my other cios(I forget which it was but I think it was 9) I could load games fine.Try reinstalling cios rev 9.
I figure rev10 has less compatibality than rev9.
Edit:sorry i had it the other way around I installed rev 9 from some other rev that was lower.try that?

576ZR673tf

And I keep preaching : Rev9 + UsbLoader GX.

And I keep considering all following Revs as betas 'til now.

True Grit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:

- The used port. cIOSrev12 and up require you to use the top port, for all other cIOS it does not matter
- The enclosure
- The used loader. No need to reinstall 100x times, no real difference if started via channel or from HBC
- The HDD

Everything else has 0 influence on the loading, so stop messing with your firmware, especially when you have NO idea what you are doing.

Don't forget about game compatability. I wonder what games this dude is using.

576ZR673tf

> How many wii's are you basing your bible on ?

My own
smile.gif
No ego here, just an opinion.

And I don't see many people bugging with Rev9.

mafoose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tagg7 said:
Just try installing cIOS rev11 and then use USB Loader 1.5 from the HBC (rev13 is unstable imo). When you say nothing boots via USB, what exactly happens when you open USB Loader? Are you using games that are the same region as your system?
USB loader works fine. All of them do. They load up just fine. At first I was using a usb ->ide converter but it was more unreliable then shit (I blame the REALLY old HD I was using).
Now I'm using a 16gig USB flash drive. It loads up the installed files quick, never has a problem finding what it need.
I'm using games from my region (NTSC-U). All but one are rips from another friends Wii that works just fine.

Heiopeio said:
u know that some games will not boot from usb without a working dvd drive?
I've only heard that about Metroid Prime.
I'm trying Super Paper Mario, Madworld, and Puzzle Quest.

nabster92 said:
You don't need to install the usb loader everytime you want to just test it. Try just using the .dol of it from the hbc to test before installing channels and such of it.

Also getting to a point of "starting fresh" alone will probably just be harder than continuing from where you are now. Updating will not touch any cIOS, only the normal IOS's will be updated and you probably don't want that.

What wbfs manager are you using to put games on your hard drive?
And the usb loader you tried sees those games, but just doesn't load them properly?
And since you say you don't have a router did you install the cios's via a wad installation?
I'm not reinstalling it every time now. I'm running USB Loader 1.5/USB Loader GX/ USB Loader 1.5 +cfg5 off of the SD card.
I'm using WBFS Manager 3.0.
The USB Loader sees the games, identifies settings I can change, but just won't load them.
Super Paper Mario -> once it loads I get a "exception (DSI) occured!".
Madworld -> Flashes pink (used to be green) and then the screen stays blank.
Puzzle Quest -> USB Loader will return Error = -1 or sometimes freeze on the "Loading Game".
I installed the cIOS's via certified with mooSFV WAD downloads.

WiiPower said:

- The enclosure
- The HDD

For which ones? Such as Wanikoko's cIOS36/cIOS38 rev12+?
I think I deleted all of the other IOSs, I currently have IOS249 installed with all the IOS WADs in the originally stated turtorial.
No longer using a USB enclosure, just a USB drive.

Posts merged

Dinoguy said:
Sorry for the doublepost ,but I found your solution!
I started having the same problem with my maxtor 250 gb drive ever since I installed cios rev10 into my wii and that was yesterday,but with my other cios(I forget which it was but I think it was 9) I could load games fine.Try reinstalling cios rev 9.
I figure rev10 has less compatibality than rev9.
Edit:sorry i had it the other way around I installed rev 9 from some other rev that was lower.try that?
QUOTE(Eagle687 @ Jun 5 2009, 04:28 PM)
And I keep preaching : Rev9 + UsbLoader GX.
And I keep considering all following Revs as betas 'til now.
I'll try that. I was trying USBLoader GX because Paper Mario supposedly works with that one.

QUOTE(True Grit @ Jun 5 2009, 05:21 PM)
Don't forget about game compatability. I wonder what games this dude is using.
Super Paper Mario and Puzzle Quest should work.
Madworld I heard is iffy, and requires newer IOSs (such as IOS38, 53, 55) installed, which are.

mafoose

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I am a total n--b at this, but not at the modding scene. I've done (long ago) PSXs, PS2s, Xbox, 360s, DSs, but this is my Wii cherry, and it's been a bitch.

576ZR673tf

You seem to know your business. Can you still try with another USB device if possible ?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah, still sounds like your usb device just doesn't fully work @ the wii, it can be quite strange
smile.gif
Try another datastick or external usb drive. The fact that you can install them @ pc with wbfs manager doesn't say much..

ineedhelpbad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As some people who tried to remove their dvd drive to make room for a hard drive found out. USB LOADER NEEDS A DVD DRIVE TO WORK. if your drive is toast (and not just a bad laser or other non essential part ) usb loader will not work no matter what.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ineedhelpbad said:
As some people who tried to remove their dvd drive to make room for a hard drive found out. USB LOADER NEEDS A DVD DRIVE TO WORK. if your drive is toast (and not just a bad laser or other non essential part ) usb loader will not work no matter what.
Well as long as he didn't remove the drive etc I wouldn't necessarily say it was that dramatic.. He's using some 16gb drive, he needs to try some proper usb drive first. (or another datastick..)

ineedhelpbad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well he said his drive was toast. So what seems more likely, that both his usb drives fail to load games at all but work fine for other homebrew apps or that his dvd drive is causing the problems. And if i remember correctly just leaving the controller board connected didn't work either you needed the whole dvd drive for usb loader to work. I think it has something to do with the way the cios reroutes dvd read commands.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah, would make sense.. he doesn't reply much tho (only three posts) so would be nice if he could tell us more
smile.gif
(what happened to the drive n such)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)