About to take the plunge - couple of questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by delt31, Oct 4, 2014.

1. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    1) Seems like Gateway is the best card. Best place to buy it/cheapest? Any recommendations?

2) Are there multiple versions of the gateway card itself or are they all the same with just software updates?

3) Gateway now allows you to have multiple roms on the card right? No more of the hot swap correct?

4) I'm aware of the serial number check but any hot spots retail to buy a 3ds with the right FW?

5) Online and eshop is supported by gateway right?

Thanks!

2. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    1. Yes it is, do not buy any other makes ;)

2. No all the same, you update the Gateway flashcard through there firmware updates of there web page. :)

3. Yep for sure, you get a nice little selection menu when you press Select in Emunand. :)

4. If your going to buy one of a selling site like Ebay, the best question to ask is, "has the 3DS got a green Miiverse icon in the top right hand corner" and if he/she comes back and says, "oh yes it has", then do not buy it! You want one on firmware 4.5.0 or below cause you can always update your 3DS if its below 4.1.0 with a retail game. :)

5. Yes sure is at the moment, well at this time all depends on what happens when Nintendo release firmware 9x this month sometime, we may be back to square one again waiting on Gateway to crack it! ;)

Hope this helps you buddy :)

Ryanrocks462 likes this.
  3. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States
    VERY helpful thanks

4. Wildblood

Wildblood Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    I'll add a couple of things: Make sure you buy your Gateway from one of their official retailers (check their site), even if you find a cheaper version somewhere (you won't find an official gateway card cheap, anywhere).

Pay special attention to Reecey's advice on point 4 - there have been issues using gateway with some 4.5 firmwares, and it's said it's because they've been partially updated. You're from the States, so I can't help you find a brand new 3DS on the right firmware, but have a look around shops. Maybe ask a shop if they've had a 3DS bundle sitting around for a long-ass time (like the Monster Hunter 3 one), and check the serial on that. Also, if you can find an unopened special edition 3DS from the right time (like the Yellow Pikachu 3DSXL), then go for that.

Finally - be aware that a new 3DS is being released soon, with upgraded hardware. Obviously Gateway won't work on it (unless they have some trick they've kept hidden), but Smealum apparently has a softmod hack he's sitting tight on, until the new hardware is released. If you're desperate for a 3DS now - get one. If not, wait until early next year.

5. delt31
    OP

delt31 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2003
    United States

Question about the FW. I ended up finding a brand new one in a store with FW that starts with S12. Based on the FAQ, that should be a good fw to use so I bought it. I haven't opened it yet so can you please confirm this is right? What happens if it has 4.5, it's still good right? I'm in the US.

6. Wildblood

Wildblood Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    I don't know the firmware versions or what specific numbers to look for. Check the list and if it looks good, take the plunge :)