About to hardmod Wii, what softmod should I keep (or not)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sobtanian, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Sobtanian
    OP

Sobtanian Newbie

Hello,

Following on from an earlier thread, I have decided that my wii's drive is dying (very poor reads of legit and backups).
    It is a PAL launch wii, v3.2e and is softmodded using TP hack + "The backup suite v4.0" which essentially installs:

...WiiGator 0.3g NeoRame WiiIsh V3 edition with 002 fix (aimed at 249)
    ...WiiGator 0.1 NiceColorEdtion mod by WiiPower with entryholder (aimed at 247)
    ...SoftChip SVN r76 (selectable IOs, recommend 248 and 249)

I also have the following installed:
    Gecko OS
    Gamecube Backup Loader
    Starfall.

I have ordered a replacement drive which is premodded with WiiKey 2, should be coming soon.

Now I don't run much homebrew, the softmod is just to play backups with. I know the hard/soft mods can live together, but I was wondering:

a\ is it worth removing any of these? especially since they're not really needed?
    b\ if so, is it just a matter of using wad manager to uninstall the wads?
    c\ should I just update the system and that will sort everything out? or is it silly and should I keep it 3.2e
    and
    d\ would not removing anything have any detrimental effect on the performance of the chip?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

2. Hideki-kun

Member Hideki-kun GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You're better off uninstalling the channels, since you wont really need them, just use WADManager

3. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It wont hurt the chip for them to be installed. Keep the HBC just incase you need it, and I would install Starfall so if you brick the Wii you could boot a copy of the WAD Manager Autoboot Disk (or install preloader and boot to HBC). Best to stay on 3.2 if you can, no sense updating just make sure to install any of the IOS files that certain games may require.

4. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    I would not delete:

-Homebrewchannel (MUST-HAVE)
    -Starfall (MUST-HAVE too)
    -GeckoOS/SoftChip-Channel (If you want to play NTSC-Games...Region free don't always work with Chips...)

I also have this combination, and I'm very happy with it [​IMG].

If you are interested, here are two nice Channels, one from me, one from NeoRame, both are Up-to-date.

GeckoOS-Channel
    SoftChip-Channel

5. Sobtanian
    OP

Sobtanian Newbie

I see, thanks for this advice and the links.

Can I just clarify something, before installing the linked channels, should I uninstall the ones already installed?
    Do bear with my noobidity [​IMG]

6. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    I would, yes. The Channels that you now have are (probably) all outdated and only need Space, and you I think you need Space, right [​IMG]? Just delete them with WADManager, if you have the .wads still on your SD-Card.