Hacking About to Get a DSi What Card Should I Get?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about ti get a DSi and i was wondering which is the better card? What card is future proof and can be updated to stop Nintendo's FW updates? I just don't want to spend money on a card that 3 months later wouldn't be worth it.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I did some researching of the AK2i. Does this card (the AK2i) have the ability to preload a .nds file. I used to have a Max media dock and one of the things I liked about that was the ability to change my menu (from MMD to DS Organize or DSision2) by using a bootme.nds file. I'm really interested in getting it but I would like to use DSision2 so that the menu theme stays in line with my DSi menu. Any thoughts?

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
though mine broke,i would say,the M3(i) Zero. its kind of an annoyance to update it with the cable though. also,the cable is very fragile,so you have to be careful with it. i had very much fun with it,until it broke somehow while updating it with the cable,a problem that many others have never had happened.

brissmas

Trophies
XP
Country

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
I'm about ti get a DSi and i was wondering which is the better card? What card is future proof and can be updated to stop Nintendo's FW updates? I just don't want to spend money on a card that 3 months later wouldn't be worth it.

M3i Zero is really your only choice if you don't have access to a DS original or Lite since it is the only card made currently that can have the bootstrap (includes the area that the DSi checks for validity) upgraded via USB. The reason why is that you are probably guaranteed to get a DSi with 1.4 FW if you buy it brand new. And also for later FW updates that reblock flash cards (if you jump the gun and install it before knowing if it is safe or not).

However, if you do have access to an older DS then an AK2i is a very good cart.

As a runner up the EZVi... They are making some pretty good progress on getting save states working pretty reliably and they also have an in game guide viewing feature (say for reading a FAQ for Castlevania) and also a cheat menu that can have cheats optionally turned on and off seperately. The downside is that there are still some bugs but they are constantly working on getting everything ironed out.

QUOTE(ifish @ Nov 1 2009, 04:33 AM) get a acekard 2i a great unofficial team supporting it

Actually, AKAIO is the official loader for the AK2/i/RPG now.

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Acekard 2i is better and cheaper
wink.gif
I have it for months and never had any problem with it.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it my personal favoritte:
it has m3 sakura the best flashcart menu ever
it has many extra features like real time sav
real time guide
FULLY skinnable
dont need moonshell for media it can play it directly
2 official firmware Failpod and sakura
update bootloader via usb ports so you dont need another ds

acekard is good but m3 is my personal pick
smile.gif

i respect you choice too
smile.gif

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oo sounds pretty nicee
huh.gif

but most likely its the features I won't use...(Or maybe I'm just saying this cause I don't have it lol )
Maybe I'll try when my acekard dies
nyanya.gif

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acekard 2i gives the best bang for the buck right now.
The reliability and simplicity of use have it over the other cards.
I have purchased several and have never had a failure nor has any of my friends experience a failure with this card.
It is simple to use and update.

That said, it is possible to ruin the card by removing the memory chip improperlly.
If you pull the chip straight out without pushing it in first you can bend or break the little retaining clips that hold the memory card in destroying the memory socket and rendering the flashcart unusable. This is true of many flashcarts. The DS/DSi console game slot will survive and occasional pull out but the flashcarts aren't that robust.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering I'm strapped for cash I'm thinking about the AK2i. From what I read, it looks like I'm going to have to be super careful but after I stick on it what I need on it... I hardly ever take anything out. I was that way with the Max Media Dock. That thing stayed in my old DS like...forever. My new question is this. Is the MicroSD slot fairly weak also? From what I see of the pictures, it looks like I can pretty much keep the AK2i in the system at all times and just remove the MicroSD card whenever I need to move files. Also, what exactly is the workaround for DSi FW 1.4?

Nevermind: I found the 1.4 workaround
tongue.gif

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rockstar99 said:
acekard 2i=cheaper
m3i zer0=better

got it memorized?

m3i zero= crappier build, bad homebrew compatibility, ok rom compatibility, boot flashable without DS

acekard2i=better build, excellent rom compatibility, excellent homebrew compatibility, reliable, boot flashable

acekard2i > m3i zero.
tongue.gif

Got it memorized?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr