JVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to make the jump to Gateway. Here's some background information:

• I am using a 3DS XL on Ver. 9.2.0-20U
  • I have Cubic Ninja and have been using it to play SNES games and I have a custom home menu
  • I *DO* get a notice every time I open my 3DS that a new firmware is available. I always decline the update prompt, but this is probably never going to go away
Time for the questions! :lol:
  1. I want to continue using my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire *physical copy* as well as some other physical copies. Once I create a 9.4 emuNand, which version should I boot up the physical games on to keep my save file? 9.2 sysNand, or 9.4+ emuNand? (I am working on a Living Pokedex, so I REALLY don't want to lose my data --- I'll backup to Pokemon Bank first, just to be safe)
  2. I have eShop games downloaded. Full games and Virtual Console. Will these disappear after installing Gateway and emuNand? If not, do I still boot them up from sysNand or emuNand?
  3. I may want to access the eShop in the future. For example, Codename: STEAM released a demo today. Should I download the demo from the emuNand eshop, or should I just find a cia/3ds file of the demo?
  4. I want to play new games for free (sorry, Student, and I don't have lots of money). For example, when Majora's Mask releases, how can I install it to the microSD card that I am ordering to put inside the Gateway cart?
  5. Are emuNand and sysNand completely separate? As in, will I have 2 separate NNIDs, one on each?
Thank you!
Glish

krzz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. yes you can dump your save and play with it

2. yes you keep your eShop games

3. yes you can access the eShop

4. yes you should be able to play with new games

5. your system nand will always boot up first, then you have to boot emuNAND by yourself with Gateway exploit -- you keep your NNID

in fact, emuNAND is a copy of your sysNAND but you can boot .3ds files on this one

and yes my english sucks but i'm trying

Reactions: JVG
D

Deleted-355425

1. yes you can dump your save and play with it

2. yes you keep your eShop games

3. yes you can access the eShop

4. yes you should be able to play with new games

5. your system nand will always boot up first, then you have to boot emuNAND by yourself with Gateway exploit -- you keep your NNID

in fact, emuNAND is a copy of your sysNAND but you can boot .3ds files on this one

and yes my english sucks but i'm trying

you write better English than some of my friends who are English :)

Reactions: gamesquest1 and JVG

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to make the jump to Gateway. Here's some background information:

• I am using a 3DS XL on Ver. 9.2.0-20U
  • I have Cubic Ninja and have been using it to play SNES games and I have a custom home menu
  • I *DO* get a notice every time I open my 3DS that a new firmware is available. I always decline the update prompt, but this is probably never going to go away
Time for the questions! :lol:

1. I want to continue using my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire *physical copy* as well as some other physical copies. Once I create a 9.4 emuNand, which version should I boot up the physical games on to keep my save file? 9.2 sysNand, or 9.4+ emuNand? (I am working on a Living Pokedex, so I REALLY don't want to lose my data --- I'll backup to Pokemon Bank first, just to be safe)
  2. I have eShop games downloaded. Full games and Virtual Console. Will these disappear after installing Gateway and emuNand? If not, do I still boot them up from sysNand or emuNand?
  3. I may want to access the eShop in the future. For example, Codename: STEAM released a demo today. Should I download the demo from the emuNand eshop, or should I just find a cia/3ds file of the demo?
  4. I want to play new games for free (sorry, Student, and I don't have lots of money). For example, when Majora's Mask releases, how can I install it to the microSD card that I am ordering to put inside the Gateway cart?
  5. Are emuNand and sysNand completely separate? As in, will I have 2 separate NNIDs, one on each?
Thank you!

Glish

I'll answer what I can, but don't take it as gospel.

1. You can use either sysNAND or 9.4 emuNAND in classic mode--there are two modes for emuNAND--Gateway (for roms) and classing (retail). I generally use emuNAND for everything and ignore sysNAND except for bootup.
2. You can backup your SD card before making emuNAND, then put it back on the card. It SHOULD allow you to keep everything, but I'm not sure on this. I separated my emu and sysNAND.
3. Either is fine, both work on emuNAND anyway.
4. I won't go into this, as it's probably against the ToS. However, if you rip your own ROM, it rips to the internal SD card (inside the 3DS). Then you just move the .3ds file onto the MicroSD inside the Gateway (rename to .3dz for online functions) and it plays in Gateway mode in emuNAND.
5. When you first make emuNAND, they are linked. You can separate them to get rid of a few minor glitches, which should all be covered in the sticky at the top of the page.

EDIT: And a quick side-note, my update nag went away when I separated sys and emuNAND. Probably because it formatted everything, but I could be wrong there. I keep WiFi off in sysNAND anyway.

JVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the above person is an anti-piracy freak that won't answer questions, the roms go on the root of the microsd.

I know there are two file formats: .cia and .3ds, both of which can contain roms for retail games, including downloadable eShop games and DLC. Which goes where, and which is for downloadable eShop games (be it retail eShop games or DLC) and which is for retail cart games to put on the microSD?

JVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll answer what I can, but don't take it as gospel.

1. You can use either sysNAND or 9.4 emuNAND in classic mode--there are two modes for emuNAND--Gateway (for roms) and classing (retail). I generally use emuNAND for everything and ignore sysNAND except for bootup.
2. You can backup your SD card before making emuNAND, then put it back on the card. It SHOULD allow you to keep everything, but I'm not sure on this. I separated my emu and sysNAND.
3. Either is fine, both work on emuNAND anyway.
4. I won't go into this, as it's probably against the ToS. However, if you rip your own ROM, it rips to the internal SD card (inside the 3DS). Then you just move the .3ds file onto the MicroSD inside the Gateway (rename to .3dz for online functions) and it plays in Gateway mode in emuNAND.
5. When you first make emuNAND, they are linked. You can separate them to get rid of a few minor glitches, which should all be covered in the sticky at the top of the page.

EDIT: And a quick side-note, my update nag went away when I separated sys and emuNAND. Probably because it formatted everything, but I could be wrong there. I keep WiFi off in sysNAND anyway.

Thank you!

In regards to number 4, just changing it from .3ds to .3dz allows it to be played online? What is it that I read about headers and stuff like that? When do I use that?

And if it is a download-only game, and I find a .cia of it somewhere on the internet, can that be played online just by installing the cia with a program?

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you!

In regards to number 4, just changing it from .3ds to .3dz allows it to be played online? What is it that I read about headers and stuff like that? When do I use that?

And if it is a download-only game, and I find a .cia of it somewhere on the internet, can that be played online just by installing the cia with a program?

If you ripped the game yourself, you do not need a header as it's already your own from the ROM. The rest should be Google'd easily enough, don't want to get too far into it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: