About to dive into the wii-u scene but have a few questions

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by veraci_00, Mar 20, 2016.

1. veraci_00
    OP

veraci_00 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    I understand that the wii-u hack uses the internet in order to gain kernel access. I have a question about that. if I were to block Nintendo updates via tubehax dns, since the system updates automatically, will I be unable to access the websites to initiate the hack? does that mean I should spoof? from what I've read, the spoof is permanent. is that a good thing or ill advised? also, what is a recommended sd card to use? I may have more questions. thanks.

2. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    no, the websites you are using for hack are not from nintendo. so obviously tubehax won't block them
    you don't need to spoof if you only want to run apps like loadiine

and if you're paranoid, you can host your files on your PC so you won't be needing internet connection on the wii u

any sd card from good brand with uhs-I speed should be enough. I personally use a 128gb sandisk sd card like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP3OHU
    try this thread for more info on the sd card https://gbatemp.net/threads/which-sd-card-to-buy-for-loadiine.399140/

3. Phantisy

Phantisy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    United States
  4. codychaosx

codychaosx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
  5. veraci_00
    OP

veraci_00 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    okay. I thought the tube hax dns blocked all internet access.

6. Fatih120

Fatih120 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2016
    Canada
    Cornwall, Ontario
    On the upside of spoofing, you'll be able to go online and access Miiverse and all those things, and play online with games that you actually have on discs.

7. veraci_00
    OP

veraci_00 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    another question - using the tubehax dns is all I need to do to prevent accidental updates, correct? I want to make sure before I put in my router credentials. thanks!

8. TiMeBoMb4u2

TiMeBoMb4u2 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    A few points to consider...
    • Most modern home routers have the capability of blocking the Nintendo Update Servers—some even at the device-level. If you choose this method, you do not need TubeHax DNS.
    • TubeHax DNS does not block all Internet traffic.
    • The Kernel Exploit does not need the Nintendo Update Servers to function.
    • Only advantage to spoofing is online disc and eShop usage. Loadiine does not support DLC or online play, even with spoofing, and it may never (WiiU thinks Loadiine is MiiMaker or SSB).
    • Spoofing cannot be undone, without IOSU access, which at this point may never happen. (I won't tell you not to spoof, but personally I'm choosing not to.)
    • Everyone has their own recommendations for SD Cards. Here are some pointers:
    • Ask a lot of questions – Search the forum, first, but feel free to ask your questions. Everything is still a little beta-ish, so you should always ask before doing.

veraci_00 and Garou like this.
  9. veraci_00
    OP

veraci_00 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    unfortunately, my router can only block 4 urls at a time, so I chose the non-Canadian urls to block. I have tube-hax enabled along with those four urls. how do I know if it's working? I did notice that it says "system update failed to download" in the download manager. does that mean it's working?

10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    obviously i only use tubehax and so far it has stopped the downalod everytime, i just advise turning off the quick start menu and standby downloads.