• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About the Texas massacre and easy access to guns.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leftists (actual ones, not democrats) leave others alone until a group of intolerable people, start slaughtering or threatening others. We're tolerant of all, except the intolerant. Because if we try to be tolerant of a group that is intolerant, we get another holocust. Which is what happened. There was no leftists anymore in germany, since Hitler killed them all. And the left over liberal faction (liberal being anywhere from just barely to right to full right. Not liberal like democrat liberal) was unable to argue or fight off that. Resulting in that happening.
makes sense, but calling for the death penalty for people who just happen to accidentally make mentally ill people go and shoot everyone seems a little far, especially since they aren't doing it directly.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
makes sense, but calling for the death penalty for people who just happen to accidentally make mentally ill people go and shoot everyone seems a little far, especially since they aren't doing it directly.
It doesn't just happen. Tucker hasn't talked this once. He's been talking about it since 2014. that's 8 years. I don't take that lightly though, taking a life or saying it should be removed is... honestly a terrifying thing. You really have to ask yourself if that's the correct decision, for weeks on end. I would of said that it's not a good choice of action if you asked me in 2018. however, seeing it still repeated, seeing the lives that are being lost. It's really difficult for me to keep that position.
However I believe that people should at least vote on such a decision, one person should not speak for the all, it doesn't feel right.

Reactions: cracker

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't just happen. Tucker hasn't talked this once. He's been talking about it since 2014. that's 8 years. I don't take that lightly though, taking a life or saying it should be removed is... honestly a terrifying thing. You really have to ask yourself if that's the correct decision, for weeks on end. I would of said that it's not a good choice of action if you asked me in 2018. however, seeing it still repeated, seeing the lives that are being lost. However I believe that people should at least vote on such a decision, one person should not speak for the all, it doesn't feel right.
Cite from the manifesto where the shooter says he watched Tucker Carlson and that he got conspiracy theories about Jews trying to replaces whites from his show.. You won't find it. It's pretty obvious that this shooter was fucked in the head and spent way too much time on /pol/. The media trying to grasp at straws to try to link the buffalo shooting to Carlson is just another attempt to shutdown anyone they don't like

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't even the case. Again, if you read the manifesto, the shooter explicitly says that he

Again. Cite from the manifesto where the shooter says he watched Tucker Carlson and that he got conspiracy theories about Jews trying to replaces whites from his show.. You won't find it. It's pretty obvious that this shooter was fucked in the head and spent way too much time on /pol/. The media trying to grasp at straws to try to link the buffalo shooting to Carlson is just another attempt to shutdown anyone they don't like
i literally know that, i was responding to
We're talking about the TX massacre here, not health care. The TX massacre was also not racially motivated. Tucker Carlson should be publicly executed along with Alex Jones and several others I could name.
at the time

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that there's a strong correlation that more educated people are more left leaning. Which means if a news outlet tries to dump a pile of shit, to that audience, it doesn't fly, due to being able to realize it is a pile of shit.
You are, in fact, an elitist. And super far up your own ass. As long as elitists keep thinking like this about their political opponents, and disregarding any of the real concerns people have about stuff like immigration, federal overreach, and the insistance on butting into people's lives. they can keep expecting people to give them the middle finger.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
Again. Cite from the manifesto where the shooter says he watched Tucker Carlson and that he got conspiracy theories about Jews trying to replaces whites from his show.. You won't find it.
No your correct, I won't find it. Because he doesn't mention specifically Tucker Carlson. But he does mention the Great Replacement Theory, something that Tucker gave a megaphone to for years. and spoke about it almost every night he could.
However I don't have to have the person say it directly. If someone is saying something for over 8 years, something that is a conspiracy theory to that level, something that you would find on 4chan of all places. It's hard to believe that Tucker was not, in any shape or form, responsible for the killer's mindset. I didn't even mention jews. The replacement theory primarily pertains to illegal immigrants, and that somehow they are all going to flood vote for democrats and take away your culture and some other bullshit.

You are, in fact, an elitist. And super far up your own ass. As long as elitists keep thinking like this about their political opponents, and disregarding any of the real concerns people have about stuff like immigration, federal overreach, and the insistance on butting into people's lives. they can keep expecting people to give them the middle finger.
Then why are you proposing that guns should be banned then?
And if I was super far up my own ass, why would I agree with someone I have historically disagreed with?

Reactions: cracker

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No your correct, I won't find it. Because he doesn't mention specifically Tucker Carlson. But he does mention the Great Replacement Theory, something that Tucker gave a megaphone to for years. and spoke about it almost every night he could.
However I don't have to have the person say it directly. If someone is saying something for over 8 years, something that is a conspiracy theory to that level, something that you would find on 4chan of all places. It's hard to believe that Tucker was not, in any shape or form, responsible for the killer's mindset. I didn't even mention jews. The replacement theory primarily pertains to illegal immigrants, and that somehow they are all going to flood vote for democrats and take away your culture and some other bullshit.
ok.. but the Great Replacement theory that the shooter spotted was specifically about an apparent secret elite of Jews that is trying to replace the white race. You'll have to show me the time Tucker said that.. oh wait, you won't.

Again, conflating Tucker Carlson talking about illegal immigration and worries about said folks not integrating into American culture with the Great Replacement theory, which is explicitly anti semitic schizo shit is just brushing off people's genuine concerns about illegal immigration.

Then why are you proposing that guns should be banned then?
And if I was super far up my own ass, why would I agree with someone I have historically disagreed with?
??? I never said guns should be banned. I am a proud gun owner lol

• Sad
Reactions: Nikokaro

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
ok.. but the Great Replacement theory that the shooter spotted was specifically about an apparent secret elite of Jews that is trying to replace the white race. You'll have to show me the time Tucker said that.. oh wait, you won't.
No because I didn't mention jews either. I mentioned the holocaust, but I didn't mention jews with the great replacement theory.
And since you challenged me to prove that tucker made such an argument (except obviously not jews) here, let me go ahead and find it.

Specifically, he is linking illegals (which is already a whistle for Mexicans) to helping the democrats gain electoral power (even though, that's not how that works in the slightest) That their (tuckers base) power is being replaced.
??? I never said guns should be banned. I am a proud gun owner lol
this part I do have to apologize I mistook you for a different user here was bashing on me for my mental health stance, saying that Europe solved the issue. sorry for putting words in your mouth.

As long as elitists keep thinking like this about their political opponents, and disregarding any of the real concerns people have about stuff like immigration, federal overreach, and the insistance on butting into people's lives. they can keep expecting people to give them the middle finger.
Back the whole "I'm an elitist" I'm not. I work a bit a decent bit over minimum wage. I have a boss that is causing my coworkers and I pain. (when your boss screams at your coworker that they don't know how to do their job, and when my coworker asks if they know how to do our job, he respond with he doesn't)
Leftists, not democrats, don't want to butt into people lives. but here we are.
We have a party who wants to remove abortion rights (Sure the removal of Roe v Wade makes it into states rights, and doesn't outright ban it. But a little under half the country has trigger laws, which might as well be the same action as banning it)
We have the fact those same justices are also looking into removing gay marriage. We have a Texas governor who blatantly does not understand trans people in the slightest or how the process works out.
We then have that same party party non stop saying "They're out to take your guns, they're out to remove your vote, they're evil, they're xyz"
And so we end up having to constantly defend ourselves.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the school shootings are the only abortions the GOP actively support. otherwise they would do something to protect the tens of kids killed every year. abortion in the 21st-54th trimester is juuuust fine.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have just woken up to find, to my utmost surprise, that the title of my thread has been slightly changed (guns instead of arms), and that it has sparked some interest. I will calmly read all the posts and possibly reply to some, time permitting. 😉

So, someone rightly noted the connection between this issue (easy access to guns) and mental health care. But I would like to point out that, almost always, those who have mental problems do not know they have them, do not want to admit it, or simply do not want to treat themselves. He would rather blow himself to hell along with everyone else than get treatment.
And then, a person who has always been considered normal, from one moment to the next can have a rapture, a seizure, a momentary insanity, go on a killing spree, and then become lucid again, and perhaps repent.

No!, mental illness (potential, latent or overt) is too prevalent nowadays to consider it rare, accidental or a distant danger.

Besides, how far can self-defense be considered lawful? A guy punches me, and I shoot him? What if he taunts me, provokes me? What if he looks at me threateningly, and I fear he will attack me (instead maybe he was simply brooding, looking into the void)?

Again no!...Your selfishness, mistrust, closure, possessiveness, extreme materialism, lack of solidarity, will be what will lead you to ruin if you all do not find a new balance, based on free integration of others, acceptance of the different, solidarity, without that obsessive fear of losing your property and being deprived of your selfish rights.

So thinks, a humble, distant admirer (but critical and partially repentant) of the american dream and its freedom at all costs.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
We do need more common sense gun laws, including federal red flag laws and more comprehensive background checks. We also need to fund better mental healthcare in this country, preferably universal mental healthcare. The problem? Republicans are not interested in doing either of these things. They just use the mental health talking point as a delay tactic until everybody moves on to the next big story. American suffering is a major feature of their policy platform, not a bug.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just like to know where these two 18 year olds who committed these recent shootings got the money for the weapons, the ammo, and the body armor and bulletproof helmets? That shit costs a lot of money. A LOT of money. The Uvalde shooter was "bullied because he was poor," lived with his grandmother in a shack-house, and had a part-time job at Wendy's. But on his 18th birthday he bought two Daniel Defense rifles, each at least $2000. Plus the ammo and the body armor, estimates put his "gear" investment at about $6000. Did you have that kind of money put together when you were in high school???

Reactions: _47iscool

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you guys read or hear news from Texas? I wish I could say this surprised, but it didn't. Shooting happen every day and even if you banned guns, it's not as if people couldn't get them, anyway.

The ones you'd be punishing would be law abiding citizens by banning. Instead of banning, make more background checks and tests to see if the person is mentally and physically eligible to own one.

If he'd use a knife or a crossbow it'd be less deadly although there'd still be victims. Or if he used a car to run over people, or a truck. Anything can be used as a weapon, to be honest.

Reactions: budDRY and AlexMCS

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
the problem is mental health, not guns.

gun control just leaves us law abiding citizens without self defense, since criminals don't follow the law and will keep their guns.
You have mental health problems everywhere. What other countries do is make sure you are mentally fit to have a gun. Also tighter background checks or extensive gun safety training like in Switzerland, bullet serialization and registry, limits on what kind of guns you can have at home, etc.

China had school attacks a few years back, but because kids don't have access to guns, death count was in the order of units. Guns are tools made for the sole purpose of killing. If people have easy access to them, without checking if they are fit, capable and without ill intention, you're gonna multiply tragedies in number and in numbers.

This narrative goes in circles everytime a shooting happens in USA:

- What can we do?

- Regulate guns.

- That won't work, and guns aren't the problem look at X (typically Switzerland).

- Switzerland checks and balances you don't want to put in place, starting by intensive gun and gun safety training.

- That's authoritarianism! (lol)

I mean, what do you want? Safety, security and civility, or anarchy? You can't have both. The choice has been anarchy, in detriment to hundreds and thousands at this point of innocent lives, mainly children.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have mental health problems everywhere. What other countries do is make sure you are mentally fit to have a gun. Also tighter background checks or extensive gun safety training like in Switzerland, bullet serialization and registry, limits on what kind of guns you can have at home, etc.

China had school attacks a few years back, but because kids don't have access to guns, death count was in the order of units. Guns are tools made for the sole purpose of killing. If people have easy access to them, without checking if they are fit, capable and without ill intention, you're gonna multiply tragedies in number and in numbers.

This narrative goes in circles everytime a shooting happens in USA:

- What can we do?

- Regulate guns.

- That won't work, and guns aren't the problem look at X (typically Switzerland).

- Switzerland checks and balances you don't want to put in place, starting by intensive gun and gun safety training.

- That's authoritarianism! (lol)

I mean, what do you want? Safety, security and civility, or anarchy? You can't have both. The choice has been anarchy, in detriment to hundreds and thousands at this point of innocent lives, mainly children.
mental health plays a huge point in shootings, so if we banned guns, that doesn't take care of the mental health part, or vice versa.

We could use a better background check, but that's literally about it. Mental health should be focused on way more.

Also, we have so many guns at this point, that if we banned guns, criminals can go on the black market and shoot all of us law abiding citizens, considering the fact that since we abide by the law, we are now easy pickings for robbers, rapists, and serial killers.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The cops just stood around outside the school for 90 minutes letting it happen. These pigs aren't going to save you and it usually just puts you in even more danger if you call them. If anything, this is a case for more guns if you want to be able to protect yourself since the cops definitely won't.
While this does have the potential to keep peoples' homes safe, it also has the potential to make public spaces more unsafe. It's insane to let everybody continue to have easy access to guns, because almost nobody has easy access to good therapy. And this is the country that wants to force a baby boom. Fix yo shit, America.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE