about the rom requests

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I know this has been asked many times before but why not put a stop to this once and for all. I have a good idea.

Let's be honest here, about 90%+ of all noobs will most likely not read the rules posted in the forums, they'll just see pics of the latest roms and go "where can I download this?". I'm sure most of us have have done this or replied telling others to read the rules but it's not going to have an affect on many people, the topic will get closed and dissapear into the thousands of other topics never to be seen. (for a noob anyway)
Yes we do supply people with links to sites with roms but come on now how many people would know that gba roms would be in the "gba scene links" section? I actually asked a few people what they thought would be in a link with that title and only 1 of them were able to actually say that it may contain rom links.
The first thing I suggest is to rename the page to something much simpler like "gba links page".
Another idea would be to put an information bar (see below) with some helpful information such as where to find the roms, info on gbatemp2 (like, "make sure to check out *gbatemp2 our backup board*") and where to get the latest emulators etc... The bar could show different information each time you visit the page.

gbalinkspage.gif

cerberus

Trophies
Website
www.gbarealm.com
XP
Country
I agree to. If people are clever enought to find GBATemp, then they must be clever enough to find sites which hold roms! Just remove all rom holding sites from the scene links. Leave the other links.
^ instead of linking to a disclaimer, why not just put under each rom release, 'not available on this site (do not request)'.

aj1288

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
why not just put under each rom release, 'not available on this site (do not request)'.

Because believe it or not they will still request for roms, giving a pathetic excuse such as i am a newbie- (that does not mean you can't read), my opinion is just ignore those who request for rom links, then they will realise- i know it may seem harsh.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
why not just put under each rom release, 'not available on this site (do not request)'.

Because believe it or not they will still request for roms, giving a pathetic excuse such as i am a newbie- (that does not mean you can't read), my opinion is just ignore those who request for rom links, then they will realise- i know it may seem harsh.
I say just state that you dont have the roms, and if a n00b asks for roms, auto ban his ass, and make an example out of him. Now thats harsh
smile.gif
. If they dont like it, they should learn to read. But i also suggest you make it as an announcement, not a sticky, an announcement, so everyone can see it on the forum. As well as that, put it in every new released game thread.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
^the sites mentioned in that thread are for bit torrent. Bit Torrent enjoys certain loop holes that allow the site giving out Bit Torrent links to be perfectly legal. There's nothing wrong with having links to a site abiding by the law.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you could otherwise have the text "Requesting roms are forbidden, please refer to this page (faq/info) for more info" on the page where u register a new account for the forums, right above the box where u choose a nickname.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM