About the R4i Save Dongle... has it any future?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Bonny, Jan 23, 2013.

Jan 23, 2013
  1. Bonny
    OP

Member Bonny 34 years old and the leisure time of a kid

Germany
    As the topic says. Will the device get any more updates? Is it completely dead? As far as i know from my personal experience: It looks like it's not compatible with newer games anymore (Paper Mario / PAL, for ex.) I failed to backup/save the save data. -> http://gbatemp.net/posts/4485191/

I'am afraid of using it with my Mario Tennis Open Cart (DATA LOSS!) :(

On the offical website ( http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/SaveDongle.asp ), the last uploaded save files are from 11.13.2012

Is there any other place where i can find saves?

2. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    The main problem seems to be that Nintendo changed the kind of encryption used in games, so only older games can have their saves shared between users.

The R4i Save Dongle can still be used for personal backup and for uploading/downloading saves from the older games that still use the older encryption.

3. Bonny
    OP

Member Bonny 34 years old and the leisure time of a kid

Germany
    To keep it short: the device is not compatible with newer 3DS games anymore. And for personal use, it can also only be used with older games. Cause since Paper Mario i know, that even backing-up the save to the PC can corrupt the savedata on the card, as it happend to me.

So, even for personal use (no sharing), the device is useless now. Right?

4. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    If yellows8/neimod's save game hack is released, there might be some use to it

5. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    well it will have to be one of the pre-2.1.0-3 games too for Neimod as newer games are personal for each gamecard, unless neimod has a method for decrypting them too

RodrigoDavy likes this.