• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About the new tax law eBay, offerup,etc

fst312

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never thought I would ever be posting a thread on this section of gbatemp but with the new year arriving I’m still a bit confused. Are all these selling apps going to share that $600 tax law combined or will they be separate for each. If they aren’t separate I really can’t see many people selling stuff through out the year for some extra cash. Just asking because I got back the mercari app and they say if I don’t fill out a form they won’t let me sell passed $600, not sure if they will have connections to other app sells like eBay or offerup.

Attachments

• 9CB379AB-EE94-412A-A659-9E868BDF56B9.png
    9CB379AB-EE94-412A-A659-9E868BDF56B9.png
    200 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by fst312,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt there will be a centralised server just yet (ever seen the insanity that goes for most government websites/IT programs?), though someone might offer a service that a few subscribe to a la places that buy in credit card handling rather than doing their own.

The issue for you will be that as the data all goes to the government in a ready to digest manner that they could in theory audit that more easily (practical realities vary as to who they go after) than they do now where they would probably have to file a bunch of requests or go to state level actors and... even government lawyer time is less than that.

Short version. Get used to paying capital gains tax (or whatever the local equivalent is called), use tax if that is a thing around you (some places don't do it) and sales tax where it was something of a wild west before, and you might also have to file taxes properly if you have a bit of a hustle going on in such places or deal in bigger ticket items. I have not looked to see what exemptions there are and fiddlings you can do (sometimes if you are married you can combine things here, and certain classes of good, usually personal vehicles in most places I look that try it on here, also might dodge it) but go look up those as well to see if any apply.

Reactions: GeekyGuy

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't read enough about it yet, but I wonder if that will also apply to folks who are selling their own used vehicles privately (NOT used cars saleman/lots/etc.). If so, shit's gonna get real real fast.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's bad enough with eBay's fees as it is.

What are the alternatives, Amazon, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist? Not very good, I'd say.

Once I sell all that I have up, I'm done with it though I'll still buy if there's something I actually want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.