TG4K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
upload_2021-6-14_17-33-32.png
Is it normal for it to only say this for like, 5 minutes straight?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Often NUS will be slow to download or not work at all and it has nothing to do with things on your end. If you keep trying, it should eventually succeed. You can use ModMii to download this stuff using the cmd line version of nusd if you want to give it a shot and see if you have better luck

TG4K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Often NUS will be slow to download or not work at all and it has nothing to do with things on your end. If you keep trying, it should eventually succeed. You can use ModMii to download this stuff using the cmd line version of nusd if you want to give it a shot and see if you have better luck
why wasn't i notified of this, thank you

TG4K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1638932028748.png

what did i do this time?

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@XFlak - Kudos for continuing to maintain the Wii stuff. After 13 years, I finally updated nusd :) I grabbed the latest "NUS Downloader" source that was already archived from Google Code, and updated nusd. Very minimal testing so far though. If you think it's still useful, feel free to use.
https://github.com/wiiNinja/NUS.downloader.command.line
Question though: I use the latest .NET 4.8, but if it is useful keeping the older version of .NET, let me know.
I also found that WB3000 merged the CLI code into his code, but I could not get that to work using the command line. That and the occasional chatter about nusd prompted me to give this a spin.
Are there still people hacking the Wii these days?

Last edited by wiiNinja,
Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@XFlak - Kudos for continuing to maintain the Wii stuff. After 13 years, I finally updated nusd :) I grabbed the latest "NUS Downloader" source that was already archived from Google Code, and updated nusd. Very minimal testing so far though. If you think it's still useful, feel free to use.
https://github.com/wiiNinja/NUS.downloader.command.line
Question though: I use the latest .NET 4.8, but if it is useful keeping the older version of .NET, let me know.
I also found that WB3000 merged the CLI code into his code, but I could not get that to work using the command line. That and the occasional chatter about nusd prompted me to give this a spin.
Are there still people hacking the Wii these days?
Yes, people are definitely still modding their Wii's these days!

Out of curiosity, with the update, are their (slight) differences to the output /wads? I imagine so, which would make me hesitate to incorporate it into modmii as the many people that have cached these files may have to re-download (unless I build in logic to accept both the old and the new).

Regarding net framework, is 4.8 common on Windows 10 and older OS' like Win7? How does it compare to 3.5? If you're not sure that's fine, I haven't gone searching for answers yet, just thought I'd ask in case you happen to know off the top of your head.

Reactions: jeannotte

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, people are definitely still modding their Wii's these days!

Out of curiosity, with the update, are their (slight) differences to the output /wads? I imagine so, which would make me hesitate to incorporate it into modmii as the many people that have cached these files may have to re-download (unless I build in logic to accept both the old and the new).

Regarding net framework, is 4.8 common on Windows 10 and older OS' like Win7? How does it compare to 3.5? If you're not sure that's fine, I haven't gone searching for answers yet, just thought I'd ask in case you happen to know off the top of your head.
Yeah, although the file sizes are the same, the MD5 sums show that the files are different.
I know there have been quite a few releases between .NET 3.5 and 4.1: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/do...ide/versions-and-dependencies#net-framework-4, but I haven't kept up with all the changes.
You have to maintain ModMii, so it's your call. Just thought I'd make it up-to-date with the GUI version.

Reactions: SaulFabre and XFlak
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    same
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    TRJ, I learned all those in school/college.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As part of some course or other.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I forgot to list Assembler, Pascal and Matlab scripting.
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    I know some pascal, c, php
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    and I'm a History teacher
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Went over the basics in all of them, never took it anywhere.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I do use bash for my job though. It's useful.
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    Assembler is something I always wanted to learn
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    but.... nah
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    No point really.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Even the simplest device these days runs some sort of high level language.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Veho all the IT stuff i've learned in school has been extremely basic... i knew most of it already
    Gift
    it's better to learn on your own, it goes much faster than the snail pace they teach you at in school
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembly is actually great, gets you to run everything about 80% faster than C massaged code
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembler syntax is dead easy, but "how to put pieces together" logic requires to have in mind the original idea, and the CPU layout, and that's like double the work of C stuff. It's best to write C first, add some unit tests, then go assembly, then run the unit tests
    Gift
    it can run faster than compiled code, but modern compilers are really good at optimization and you need to be even better at assembly to do a better job
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    with that all your assembler base will actually work
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    even on embedded systems, without a damned debugger
    Gift
    syntax is easy but the code is hard to read, you can't look at a piece of code and expect to understand it without looking at all the code around it to see how it all works together so it takes much longer to read the code, it takes longer to write it too because what might be 1 line of code in C might be 20 lines of assembly
    Gift
    the language is very simple to understand (because it's barely a language at all) understanding how all the instructions work together to form a whole is another matter, in general it's such a pain to work with that i would never recommend it unless you have a need for it. don't listen to this guy and learn assembly just because you want to make your code run faster, you are wasting your time, but if you run into a situation where your code isn't fast enough even after you enabled -Ofast and you NEED it to be faster, then you can consider assembly
    Gift
    @Coto have you tried -Ofast btw? ;)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have o fast before but I suspect we are talking different Os lol
    Gift
  • Gift
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/bDoEWJP4D_Q