About M3 Adapter and the Expansion Pack that comes with Opera DS

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by dvelez1985, Sep 4, 2009.

1. dvelez1985
    OP

Newcomer dvelez1985 Newbie

United States
    What I want to know is if it is the same exact thing as the GBA expansion pack that M3 provides or is it different?

2. Escape

Member Escape GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think they're different.
    the one you get with the M3 is just basically a rumble pack which is used only for vibration.
    the one you get with the Opera Browser is a cartridge with 10MB RAM expansion and it cannot be used for vibration purposes.

3. dvelez1985
    OP

Newcomer dvelez1985 Newbie

United States
    Nope that is not what I'm talking about. I already have the M3 adapter with the dumb rumble pack, which scared the crap out of me when I put it in for the first time. M3 however offers a "RAM Pack" and "GBA Expansion Pack". I have no idea what the difference is between the two is but they are labled differently on the distributers sites. Now my question is if I where to buy the "Opera Lite" pack which comes with it's own "Expansion Pack" will it be the same as the M3 "GBA Expansion Pack"?

4. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    No they are 2 different things. The opera memory expansion pack does not let you play GBA games. Its only for Ram it has 8mb of ram. The M3 GBA Expansion pack lets you play Gba games and is Ram not sure how much MB. If you need a slot 2 to play GBA games I recommend get the Ez-flash 3in1 it has Rumble,GBA Support, Lets you use the Internet Browser, and 16Mb of ram. I will be writing a Ez flash 3in1 review soon.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    not at all

M3 GBA Expansion Pak comes with 32MB of ram + the ability to play GBA games + can use the built in features of the M3 Real/Zero and Sakura / Touchpod

all the opera has is I think 4-8MB of ram and thats it

6. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    The M3 GBA expansion pack, unlike the EZ-Flash, has the full 32 MB of RAM the bus can adress, allowing it to play any GBA game from its RAM, which is also necessary as that is the only storage on the pack. It also provides enough SRAM for Real-time saving and includes a clock, both exclusive to the M3 expansion.

The Rumble RAM Pack however is utter crap. Not only does it fail to provide the necessary RAM (M3 Sakura reads it as a 2 MB device, which is not enough to run a browser designed for an 8 MB expansion, resulting in frequent crashes during use, also, DSLinux tries to access 32 MB on it, and of course fails), but the Rumble is also awful, making both functions of the device essentially useless.

7. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Do you think its worst than a Ez-flash 3in1? I never new it had 32Mb and it allowed RealTimeSaving because 3in1 doesn't.

8. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Its usefulness depends on what you intend to do with it. The EZ-Flash features NOR flash, which helps with dumping and use as a standalone GBA card, however flashing times are longer for NOR writing, so quick on-the-fly GBA loading and using the DS as a memory expansion are limited to the 16 MB of PSRAM. Also, the 3in1 has an awful, but not horrible rumble, whereas the M3 Rumble Pack is seperate and pure junk. On the other hand, M3 does excel in GBA compatibility, when loaded through a GBAlpha REAL card in Slot-1, you get features on par with those found on Slot-2 M3s, which are probably the best GBA media adapter flashcarts out there.