about Gommba color... is their anyway to extract the saves from that p

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Tac 21, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Tac 21
    OP

Member Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    file that we created when converting our GB games for use on the GBA? I want to use those old saves so I can continue playing those games on Lameboy (spasifcly, I don't want to start over on mario tennis)

is there any program or way to extract those saves?

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    There is, yes, using VBA's memory viewer. First get the *.sav file for the entire compilation, and the *.gba compilation itself. Open it up in VBA and make sure that your save is working. While in the game you want to extract save data from, go to Tools - Memory Viewer, and click the Save button. For the address, use 02038000, and for the length use 8000. Save it as whatever you want (I think VBA will force it to have a .dmp file extension), then after it's done rename it to "GameName.sav" so in your case it will be "Mario Tennis.sav" or similar. Open up the GB/GBC game with VBA to make sure that you dumped the save properly.

Instructions taken from http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/How_to_exchan...mulators_and_PC

3. Tac 21
    OP

Canada
    thank you so much- I haven't had my GBA programing and hacking work this swell in SUCH a long time. That was easy.

4. DanTheManMS

United States
    Not a problem, glad you didn't have any trouble with it. The only part I've had trouble explaining before is that if you wish to do the opposite (inject a GBC save into a Goomba Color compilation) you must rename the .sav file to end in .dmp instead or else VBA's file selector won't see it (and then once finished you must press L+R to send the updated SRAM you injected into the *.sav file).

5. Tac 21
    OP

Canada
    oh wow, really? like the "import save" feature? how does that work (curious)

6. DanTheManMS

United States
    I'm talking about doing the exact opposite of what you just did, like if you played through a game in Lameboy or VBA but wanted to continue it in Goomba Color. Since Goomba Color compresses all its save files into its single *.sav file, you must use the memory viewer to inject your save file into the place in memory where it's been uncompressed, then press L+R to bring up the Goomba menu, which automatically updates the SRAM (and thus the .sav file).

7. Tac 21
    OP

Canada
    thats right, of course remembering that L+R saves it onto Gommba.

Glad to here you can do it both ways- hell, glad to hear you can even do it.