About GBA Emulation -Don't get mad, hear me out.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Arneshie, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Arneshie
    OP

Arneshie Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Hello, this is my first post. Anyways, i had an idea.
    Does anyone remember, MEGAMAN ZERO Collection? the NDS game which contained 4 GBA games? Well i was just thinking, it's a port, right? Well why don't we port some of the best GBA Games or something, or create some sort of software to port a GBA game to NDS? Wouldn't that work? Sorry if this is a really bad idea, but dont flame me please!! Im just thinking here [​IMG]

Thanks for your time! [​IMG]

2. wessel261

wessel261 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    every gba game is compiled differently
    'nuff said

3. Overlord Nadrian

Overlord Nadrian Banned

Banned
    Jul 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Riviera
    Sorry, but due to internal hardware differences in the DS and GBA, this is impossible.

4. Arneshie
    OP

Arneshie Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Oh i see, thanks.
    Err to the second person who posted, if the hardware differences are so great, how come Megaman Zero Collection can run? im just asking, cause i already know an EMULATOR wont work, but im talking about porting a game.

5. twiztidsinz

twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    It would be possible...

But seeing how difficult it is to get a game translated (little code editing then script translation), I don't see a group of people --all of whom have the editing skills needed to port the game-- staying together on the project long enough.

6. Zood!

Zood! Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Yeah right... you go ahead, and if you're half-way done, the rest joins in :wtf:

7. Sülf

Sülf Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Gambia, The
    GBA: the cardridge is pluged on the same bus as the ram, it has a high bandwight.
    NDS: the Slot1 cartridge has its own bus, but slower as the ram bus of the GBA. But GBA games needs this fast bus, so you need to put the whole rom in the ram of the NDS, but the ram without expansion isn´t big enough. As for professional ported games from GBA to NDS, they rewrote the access system and the filepointers and compiled it, because of that, simply injecting a other rom wont work, because every rom is different, with different filepointers and so on...

AFIAK

someone correct me if i´m wrong [​IMG]

8. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Also in order to " port " a game you need the SOUCE code and only the original developers have it.
    Without the SAUCE, (source code ) no code to work with=no port.

9. link491

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    cant you get the source by unpacking the rom?

10. Berthenk

Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

May 16, 2008
    Netherlands
    Most of the time, the source is encrypted to keep hackers out.

11. Supersonicmonk

Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    Cymru
    I'm pretty sure that a small team could eventually port a GBA game to the DS and do a pretty good job of it but it would take a hell of a long time and no one would want to spend that much effort when other better options exist like slot 2 cards. OK DSi owners will loose out and have to resort to emulation but im sure most people would prefer work going into emulation which could be used for all GBA games instead of porting a single one

12. 9th_Sage

9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 30, 2008
    United States
    Compiling an app and encrypting something are two entirely different things.

13. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    No.

14. dan80315

dan80315 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    USA
    DSTWO can emulate GBA ROMS can't it? I believe there's also a team making an n64/PS1 emulator as well for said flashcart.

15. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    The DS is completely capable of playing GBA games on it's own. Problem is hardware config. Anything Pre-DSi, you're better off with am Expansion port. DSi, get a Supercard. Other methods require way too much hardware adjusting to be worthwhile.

16. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Capcom made the original MMZ games. They are fully capable of recreating their own game. Which is why MMZC exists.
    And you can't really port a game without having the code (read emphasis in last sentence).

17. Warrior522

Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

Jul 21, 2010
    United States
    Link please?

18. Bunie

Bunie #1 Princess

Aug 19, 2010
    United States
    Pleasureville, KY
    the DS cannot emulate 64. if the card has a rather fast processor built into it, that runs its own process to interpret and convert the 64 rom on-the-fly, fast enough to be playable, a card like that would cost ALOT of money, more than the DSTWO.