Hacking About cracked DS Lites...

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Nintendo replace the whole shell, replace the whole machine, or just repair it?

If they do make a replacement, does anybody know if it would be possible for me to send in my cracked white DS Lite and get one in the new Onyx color one back?

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is luck of the draw, no one except the Nintendo rep handling your ds can answer that question. Getting a new black one sounds out of the question though.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
i'm with tama_mog on this one...i severly doubt they'll send you another color. but they will send you a new unit. The new colors are going to be in such high demand that they would much rather give you back what you paid for, since they already have your money and give the new colors to people who've been waiting or simply willing to pay for the new shell. but dont hate on nintendo for it, i'd do the same thing. it's business. but the good part about having your ds break under warranty, is that you get another YEAR of it. which is sweet.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do they really reset the warranty when they replace it? Normally a company wouldn't do this I don't think.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
normally they dont. but i just sent mine in. and they sent me a completely new DSL. and in the very few emails and phone convo's i had with them, they told me the warranty is good for another year, which is good considering i've had it since it came out.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's surprising and awesome. Congrats.
smile.gif

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to gamestop today after getting the product replacement plan for my white DSL, and my whitie had a hinge crack. They had two onyxes left and before I could even ask he told me I could have a new color if I wanted. Now happily playing around with my onyx woohoo!

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's hillarious how America operates when it comes to the return policy, it just screws the manufacturer in the end....the most extreme being costco. In Japan there is no swapping for even dead pixels. Then again Japanese products are high quality for sure.

mono666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey guy i also have a hinge crack on my DSL. but i bought mine on ebay and it's flashed... do i still have warrenty? and possibly get a replacement DSL?

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hey guy i also have a hinge crack on my DSL. but i bought mine on ebay and it's flashed... do i still have warrenty? and possibly get a replacement DSL?

I don't think so unless the seller gave you the original receipt. I'm not sure, you could try calling Nintendo and tell them it was given to you as a gift.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since the DS lite hasn't even been out for a year (outside of Japan) I think they should honor the warranty without a receipt! They probably will never notice that it's flashed if you used the stealth version.

Dankrigannon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sent my cracked ds lite to nintendo, no recipt, serial number wasnt registered with any store. and to top it off it was flashed. They sent me a brand new one.

JoeB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't be fooled by their replacement. They are not new. They are refurbished units!!! I got mine replaced by a unit that clearly states it's refurbished.

The problem with the new unit is that it has 2 stuck pixels (my old one had none) and the cover has scratches on it!

To top it off, the serial number on the back seems to identify it's a refurbished unit. The original serial can be seen sticking out from under the new number!

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sending a refurbished unit is total bullshit. You bought a brand new product and it's defective due to their poor manufacturing. You should receive the brand new one that you paid for.

This is totally different than iPod sending you a refurb when you send it in for battery replacement, that's not a manufacturing defect!

stonefry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hillarious how America operates when it comes to the return policy, it just screws the manufacturer in the end....the most extreme being costco. In Japan there is no swapping for even dead pixels. Then again Japanese products are high quality for sure.

If Costco screws the manufacturer, it's the manufacturers fault. They knew what Costco's return policy was when they started doing business with them. Obviously, the added sales make up for the late returns; else they would stop doing business with Costco. It's not like Costco is twisting their arm.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's hillarious how America operates when it comes to the return policy, it just screws the manufacturer in the end....the most extreme being costco. In Japan there is no swapping for even dead pixels. Then again Japanese products are high quality for sure.

If Costco screws the manufacturer, it's the manufacturers fault. They knew what Costco's return policy was when they started doing business with them. Obviously, the added sales make up for the late returns; else they would stop doing business with Costco. It's not like Costco is twisting their arm.

Coming obviously from someone that has had no dealings with Costco and have no experience in manufacturing. But that's beyond the case, point was a general comment about American return policy, it's too laxed on the consumers in my opinion.

stonefry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Coming obviously from someone that has had no dealings with Costco and have no experience in manufacturing. But that's beyond the case, point was a general comment about American return policy, it's too laxed on the consumers in my opinion.

Well, I am a Costco member, but I have no experience in manufacturing. I am using my common sense. If I can't make money selling stuff through Costco, then I won't sell my product to them.

Having said that, if I return a VCR to costco 7 years after I buy it, they will give me a new one. Do they return the 7 year old VCR to the manufacturer? I really doubt it, but I could be wrong.

I agree that return policies are WAY too lenient here in the states, but they are what they are and I take advantage of them sometimes. It sickens me to hear of people abusing them though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: