Hacking About changin the score of the predocut's review..

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
VVoltz 13/08/07 18:17:10
I'll post a comment about it.

Bowser128Â 13/08/07 18:10:28
Yes but if you were new and you were looking at the GBATemp reviews to help you make your flash cart buying choice, wouldn't you want to know the current state of each cart?

VVoltz 13/08/07 17:55:01
hehe, I meant fair. But in any case, the reviews are not suppose to change in time. I'm not defending the DS-X. I did get new carts instead of my DS-X, but I really think it's not what reviews are...

Bowser128Â 13/08/07 17:52:47
I don't know about fare, it is fair though
wink.gif
Seriously, a 9 suggests almost perfect, and at this moment time, is that true?

VVoltz 13/08/07 17:45:28
I don't think it is fare to actually change the score on the DS-X review. I mean, At that time, it was a 9.

My point is that I really don't think it reflects the objectivity of the original review. I mean, back when shaunj66 did the review, everything was working OK, and now it is not that everything got wrong, it's just that the team's public relations are at their worst point yet....

In my opinion, and this goes to the GBATemp crew, I think you should consider creating a "buyer's guide" rather than "reviews" if that is what you are suppose to reflect, I mean, you can take out the scores on the reviews and just post them on the reviewers guide, in that way you can update the guide regularly.
What would happen if the R4 factory indeed stops making the carts? will you re consider the cart score?.

Just an opinion. And no, I'm not against or in favor of any groups of teams. I want to be as objective a possible, that means my opinion also applies to the other cart reviews.

Thanks.

stefer

Trophies
Website
stefer.weebly.com
XP
Country
Canada
I personally don't think that it's fair to change the score. I bought a EFA II 1gbit card for GBA, based on the review it had on this website. A few weeks after i got it, the EFA team left their forum to rot with spam etc. It had a firmware that was below average, etc.
The DS-X team is still active on IRC + Forum and are releasing a new firmware soon. Right now, they are honoring waranties that resellers stopped honoring (after 15 or 30 days and such...)

If the score is modified because of a 'slower update release' then the EFA II should get the score lowered and all carts should be re-evaluated on the service and updates they are currently getting (GBA and DS, Wii chips etc.)

Virusak

Trophies
XP
Country
I personally don't think that it's fair to change the score. I bought a EFA II 1gbit card for GBA, based on the review it had on this website. A few weeks after i got it, the EFA team left their forum to rot with spam etc. It had a firmware that was below average, etc.
The DS-X team is still active on IRC + Forum and are releasing a new firmware soon. Right now, they are honoring waranties that resellers stopped honoring (after 15 or 30 days and such...)

If the score is modified because of a 'slower update release' then the EFA II should get the score lowered and all carts should be re-evaluated on the service and updates they are currently getting (GBA and DS, Wii chips etc.)
the ds-x fw releases are really slow, but also since the card is out, they didnt actiually brought much improvement (no mac support, no extra features -skinapps are useless to me, no skinning support, one of the biggest weapons of ds-x = user programmable fpga chip is still unused... ds-x was one of the first carda, but now it cant hold on with the competitors which offer more for less money, i think it is fair that it gets its score changed, cause when the review was written, the situation was very very different

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the main issue here is that the DS-X doean't even do the things it advertises. That's what people are so angry about. They paid a premium price for a premium device with premium nonexistant features...

- Sam

hp sauce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For what it's worth: I bought a DSX based solely on the review I read here. I reckon it ought be changed to reflect the fairly annoying problems it currently faces (skin support/developer support & latency/no fpga uses as of yet/over priced/mac updater/etc/etc) along with the developers' "anti-piracy" attitude noted, as other newcomers comparing their first-buys using this site could be saved from falling in the same pit.

If they sort their life out in the future, fair enough, but for the moment the DSX in no way currently deserve a 9.5, newcomers are better off with any number of other options.

stefer: Mods are active on the forums, keeping it "clean" etc, but there are hardly any posts from the developers and "higher-ups". It took weeks before a response regarding the arm7 problems showed up, and that was very much a "piss off pirates"-esque response, even to posts that were merely looking for reassurance in their "premium" "future-proof" product as opposed to ROM talk.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
At the time it was a 9, but right now, that score is hurting and angering many people. Is it worth continuing to rip off other customers for its once-golden days?

In my opinion, no way.

I'm aware that they are (finally) making an effort to improve, they are releasing a new firmware soon, etc etc but is that worth months of waiting and false advertising? They couldn't do what they said they could when it came out. Maybe in the next update everything'll work again, but did the customers get what they paid for?

Hm...my post is unusually..."question"-y

Neuromancer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth: I bought a DSX based solely on the review I read here. I reckon it ought be changed to reflect the fairly annoying problems it currently faces (skin support/developer support & latency/no fpga uses as of yet/over priced/mac updater/etc/etc) along with the developers' "anti-piracy" attitude noted, as other newcomers comparing their first-buys using this site could be saved from falling in the same pit.

Totally agree. The review should quote DS-Guru's "We aren't going to RUSH a fix, even if it's been two weeks now and every other cart team on the planet had a fix 3 HOURS after LoZ showed up. If you are a pirate you can go F yourself" at the top of the first page, so that people know that they will be obsolete every time Nintendo changes their copy protection, until the team feels like making a fix for a bunch of 'naughty pirate scum'.

And remember, it's "Not DS-X's fault that resellers advertise it as 100% compatible with ROMS."

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
Totally agree. The review should quote DS-Guru's "We aren't going to RUSH a fix, even if it's been two weeks now and every other cart team on the planet had a fix 3 HOURS after LoZ showed up. If you are a pirate you can go F yourself" at the top of the first page, so that people know that they will be obsolete every time Nintendo changes their copy protection, until the team feels like making a fix for a bunch of 'naughty pirate scum'.

And remember, it's "Not DS-X's fault that resellers advertise it as 100% compatible with ROMS."

Their website used to say "supports clean roms" too
rofl2.gif

Neuromancer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it is unfair to have to make the reviewers take back their initial score. Sure it affects a lot of buyers, especially in a site this big, but I know I would be quite angry if I reviewed a product, and 6 months later, some guy asks me to re-evaluate the product because they don't agree with me.

I would be really, really, angry if I read a bunch of shining reviews for a DS-X, and then had to find out the hard way about all it's problems and the team's CHOICE not to fix their own device. Also, I don't think it is a matter of agreeing or disagreeing; the pooch has been screwed. As far as the team is concerned, the DS-X has no problems at all and everything has been done perfectly. I wouldn't consider that "two opposing viewpoints" like whether global warming exists or not. Of course any wrongdoing is going to be denied; at this point it's expected.

hp sauce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
but I know I would be quite angry if I reviewed a product, and 6 months later, some guy asks me to re-evaluate the product because they don't agree with me.

I write reviews for 360 games, and amend them if there are major/important differences after updates over time. The point is the same principal applies (don't get me wrong; i know what you're saying); I'd be more angry about people not bothering to read my reviews in favour of merely checking forums for the info they need, assuming the review'll be out of date. Plus, it's not like every newcomer would think to check forums anyway.

It's not like every minor new aspect of every card needs amending in each review, merely the disastrous problems such as with the DSX.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
but I know I would be quite angry if I reviewed a product, and 6 months later, some guy asks me to re-evaluate the product because they don't agree with me.

I write reviews for 360 games, and amend them if there are major/important differences after updates over time. The point is the same principal applies (don't get me wrong; i know what you're saying); I'd be more angry about people not bothering to read my reviews in favour of merely checking forums for the info they need, assuming the review'll be out of date. Plus, it's not like every newcomer would think to check forums anyway.

It's not like every minor new aspect of every card needs amending in each review, merely the disastrous problems such as with the DSX.

exactly. why do we write reviews? we, are at least I, write them for other people to read, digest, and decide which is best. If my scores are wrong and/or inaccurate, it's rather counterproductive isn't it?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nobody is asking for a reevaluation because they disagree with the assessment. Nowhere in the review are there an lies or fallacies, it was pretty spot on for the time it was written.

Folks are asking for one because circumstances have changed enough to radically affect the value in owning one. The complaints are entirely valid, as anybody following all of this drama can testify. The fact that the DS-X team lags behind everybody else, comes up with excuses for this, then fights their own customer base in some futile attempt at saving face needs to be taken into account.

The issue isn't even about piracy, it's that promises were made toward the 'future-proof' management of the product and they have not been kept. And even when they do get around to it (whenever that will be), is everything between then supposed to be erased at that point? We're supposed to forget the delays and silence and banning and denials just because the last horse finally crosses the finishing line?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Please tell me where someone got banned for nothing and I will personally look into it
unsure.gif

I dont want to say much about this thread because I feel its going to turn into a flamefest, However I will say Voltz has really good points.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suspect that your definition for "nothing" probably differs from mine. Just like your definition of "flamefest" probably also differs.

linkycat

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A buyers guide that updates and rotates with product releases would be nice, but the reviews should not change...

A game with stunning visuals a year ago could receive a 10 for graphics. A year later, people are developing more effectively and the same game in comparison may get an 8 or 7 for visuals, but you don't retroactively go back and change the score... that's just not how reviews work.

In my opinion, anyone who just reads a review, and doesn't look into forums, dates of reviews posted, or read reviews and news from multiple sites before purchasing a product deserves whatever they choose anyway.

Virusak

Trophies
XP
Country
A buyers guide that updates and rotates with product releases would be nice, but the reviews should not change...Â

A game with stunning visuals a year ago could receive a 10 for graphics. A year later, people are developing more effectively and the same game in comparison may get an 8 or 7 for visuals, but you don't retroactively go back and change the score... that's just not how reviews work.

In my opinion, anyone who just reads a review, and doesn't look into forums, dates of reviews posted, or read reviews and news from multiple sites before purchasing a product deserves whatever they choose anyway.
these are incompareable, ds-x could still be improved and it could all the functions all the other cards have, but the fw releases doesnt add much new features

enochw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
A buyers guide that updates and rotates with product releases would be nice, but the reviews should not change... 

A game with stunning visuals a year ago could receive a 10 for graphics.  A year later, people are developing more effectively and the same game in comparison may get an 8 or 7 for visuals, but you don't retroactively go back and change the score...  that's just not how reviews work.

these are incompareable, ds-x could still be improved and it could all the functions all the other cards have, but the fw releases doesnt add much new features

please game07 please anwser my mail for u.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...