About battery life with M3 Real

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Dizzy Doom, May 23, 2009.

1. Dizzy Doom
    OP

Dizzy Doom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Some days ago I decided to do a test, playing Pokemon Diamond (and only that game) on lowest brightness setting with no cheats, soft-reset, RTS, and of course, no Wi-Fi (I guess there's still the saving factor, as DS seems to use more power while saving). It was loaded with Sakura 1.35 3rd.
    I fully charged my DS Lite, then I started playing while recording my play time with a watch.
    Today my DS finally turned off by itself while playing, and my play time was 9 hours, 1 min. I don't really have a retail copy of Pokemon Diamond so I can't compare, but my retail copy of TWEWY lasts WAY more time (I could play for a week, 2 hours/day, and it still had energy left).
    I know flashcarts use more energy than retail cards, but all the tests I've seen say ~4 hours on max brightness for both retail and ROM New Super Mario Bros., with a difference 20 min.
    Is it normal?

Also, sorry for my bad english.

2. justinefremlouw

justinefremlouw GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2009
    United States
    Chi Town
    well the problem is that your "experiment" isn't kept constant, because you played TWEWY over a period of time rather than at once...rechargeable batteries do regain a bit of energy if left by itself, and short sessions tend to make it last longer than a marathon...

3. Dizzy Doom
    OP

Dizzy Doom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I didn't do a marathon with Pokemon Diamond, I played it the same way as TWEWY (2 hours a day).

I agree that this "experiment" isn't exact, it has too many variables like saving, wifi while resuming your game (even if its a little), loading Sakura. I didn't spect it to be exact either. I used completly different games, as well. I will either get a retail copy of Pokemon Diamond or download a TWEWY ROM to do a more accurate test one of these days.

However it just doesn't justify the 5 hours difference. That's why I posted it.

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I think some of the numbers are a bit exaggerated (14 hour battery?, that doesnt seem right to me, some users reported only getting 8-9 hours)
    but batteries degrade over time, they dont hold the charge they used too

you need to do a proper test with exact conditions for both flash cart and regular cart if you wanna get the real numbers
    so TWEWY would be the game to test with I guess

5. gosp

gosp GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2008
    Italy
    Once again this comes up and I can't verify anything. Electroplankton retail. I forget which brightness setting, lasted about 10 hours before turning off. Electroplankton with the M3 lasted 9 1/2. I can't say there's any great difference for me.