United States
uhh both?
IMO
abortion is appropriate at times
and at other times, not so much
if, say, a 14 year old gets raped and becomes pregnant
having the baby will definitely ruin her life
abortion is the only option here
but if some bitch goes out having sex with every guy she meets (or something like that)
and she becomes pregnant (we'll assume she's strong and old enough to have one without hurting herself)
then thats a different story

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Against because you're killing an innocent life.

For because if you don't have the money to support that person's life, it's the same as killing that person.

Then again, this sounds a lot like mercy killing. I'm still ultimately against abortion because I believe that every person should get a chance to live, even if that person is going to suffer through the rest of his or her life. But only because there's always that tiny piece of hope that something good will happen to that person as well.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Saw the topic, and yep, just another topic that never had a chance.

The only people that have an opinion are the father and pregnant woman. Everyone else doesn't count.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tinymonkeyt said:
uhh both?
IMO
abortion is appropriate at times
and at other times, not so much
if, say, a 14 year old gets raped and becomes pregnant
having the baby will definitely ruin her life
abortion is the only option here
but if some bitch goes out having sex with every guy she meets (or something like that)
and she becomes pregnant (we'll assume she's strong and old enough to have one without hurting herself)
then thats a different story
This is also how I feel.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom, said he was in love
"Don't worry about a thing, baby doll
I'm the man you've been dreaming of."
But 3 months later, he say he won't date her, or return her calls
And she swear, "God damn, if I find that man, I'm cuttin' off his balls."
So, she heads for the clinic and
she gets some static, walking through the door
They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner
and they call her a whore
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes
'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose

- Erik Schrody

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ignoring my usual cynicism (those people should not have been......)

Any reason, any period in time for me. "Killing", it is just a pile of chemicals as far as I am concerned (quite in fact the same "damage" could be done by moving air: nitrogen, carbon, oxygen, courtesy of the chilli I ate last night probably a bit of sulphur as well).
On the flip side if your religion of choice says (I will leave out discussion of interpretation for now and just assume it is the case) no abortion (I have met those in various religions with cancer of the 90% chance or better of a cure variety (which would also mean a lost kid) who had babies and subsequently kicked the bucket 2 weeks after squirting out a child) then by all means say that to your followers but do not spoil a good gig for the rest of us.

@Panzer Tacticer what about those who support the parents/child, is the father the biological father or the "stand in"?

@tinymonkeyt what happens if such a persion took precautions and they failed?
I assume you have such an opinion owing to respect for life or some such: what kind of life would a child have who is essentially a punishment for what amounts a somewhat puritanical standpoint.
Cases I have seen originate from places where protection of some form (beyond the awful rhythm method) is illegal and a woman has had many children (but could otherwise bear children), on the flip side I have met those deemed physically incapable of carrying a child to term who pulled it off with minimal problems. This brings a subjective element in which is never good to have as part of a law.

Of course as I see it ultimately it would be like trying to ban anything: it just drives it underground making everything far more dangerous (abortion is not really that hard to do in terms of medical procedures but it still does not make it as safe as a well maintained place) or just for the rich (see medical tourism amongst the many other things).

I am also somewhat interested in other bioethics debate as it seems a lot of it is going on right now but I will not divert the topic (again I am all for science and my pile o' chemicals concept comes back).

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
bluebright said:
Life begins at conception. So, this is where the moral bit comes in, if you have an abortion that's technically murder. But then you get into the details like what tinymonkeyt brought up.

Its good to see such a serious topic making the rounds too.

If life begins at conception, every time the zygote fails to implant it's killed?

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true, there are situations and exceptions other than raped girls
such as broken protection (as fast pointed out)
but in the first place, it was their choice to have sex
and knowing that, they should've been more careful

P

pasc

Bob Evil said:
pasc said:
No really, there aren´t much reasons for abortions I can think of except a raped girl.

Then you need to think a little harder ...
religious stuff doesn´t count for me since I don´t belong to any, although, you are right, a disease would for example be another reason to abort due to the risks.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pasc said:
a disease would for example be another reason to abort due to the risks.

There you go ... there's always more to things, if you just think a little
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: