Ability to create a multiboot iso?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by alex.ap.pacman, Sep 5, 2010.

Sep 5, 2010
  1. alex.ap.pacman
    OP

Member alex.ap.pacman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi everyone, I just signed up, finally, for GBATemp after
    lurking around on the site, might I add that it is wonderful,

I was curious by anychance if there was a way to create multiboot isos?
    I have my own purchased copies of The Mario Galaxy series and wanted to make them into 1 single
    iso that I could multiboot from on my WBFS harddrive.

What recently sparked my curiousity was when I was playing the Metroid Trilogy iso, it allowed for me
    to choose what dol to boot being "metroid prime, metroid prime 2 or metroid prime 3"

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you can make a multiboot ios pretty easily. but the support for loading them and selecting between the different games is not in USB Loaders. the reason it can be done with metroid is because all the games are single files in the same partition. They open the data partition and directly boot each game. Also, that prompt is hardcoded into the loader. You would have to hardcode that prompt for any other mutli-dol game.

Each mario galaxy is its own partition. you could dump both games and build 1 super huge partition that contains both games, and it might possibly work like metroid, but you will create more issues.

since the number of files in the partition is not what is expected by either game, the size of the fst is different, and takes up much more RAM. this may cause some of the cheat codes to not work.
    the partition can only have 1 ID, so both dols will now try to use the same folder to save its data. assuming the data files have different names and will co-exist in the same folder, you would have to manually copy one ( or both ) games' save data to the new folder

3. alex.ap.pacman
    OP

Member alex.ap.pacman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey there GiantPune, thanks for your reply, I had the question in my dome all day. Btw. I am an avid fan of yours
    on the homebrew scene [​IMG] The Brawl+ idea is pretty sweet.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Giantpune, you know you could create a loader partition which is loaded by the usb loader, and then a partition for each game? It doesn't matter to games on which partition they are, as long as it contains the files they expect it to.

You just need an usb loader with a fancy menu, an entrypoint that does not overlap with your usb loader and the game, and the ability to load games from a different than the 1st game partition.

All in all i say this is doable. but won't happen, because no dev is interested in this.

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    if you build your own main.dol/loader partition/whatever then you will have to deal with adding stupid video mode/cheat/other settings to that. the user can set whatever settings thy want in the usbloader but once they start your loader partition every setting set by the usb loader is out the window.