Aaron's DNS Trick For Accessing PSN While On Kmeaw's CFW 3.55

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by mechadylan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mechadylan
    OP

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm not sure why it works, but it does. I'm not sure how it works, it just does.

I stumbled upon this tidbit waaaay back in the 3.41 jb days. Sony apparently blocked this "loophole" with OFW 3.42 and that was that... or was it? Now it seems that CFW (specifically kmeaw's 3.55) can easily/with no problems access PSN! Seriously, it works.

I'm not recommending this to anyone; nor am I suggesting that ppl reconfigure their personal PS3 Network setting to anything outside of the norm of their ISPs. However, if you reconfigure your network settings as I have mine:

[​IMG]

... you too may be online on the PSN while on kmeaw's 3.55... ... ... just saying.

(ahem, ... "sticky? ... plz?)

2. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    a. how do I know this works(No I won't try it) explain what this does to allow you to go on psn(so you say)

b. you are recommending it by giving the instructions

can we have video proof or a source?

c. "sticky?...plz?) [​IMG]

3. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    a. This works on MY PS3 slim 320GB "Move Bundled" console. My kmeaw'd PS3 is currently enjoying online play,... and I wish yours was too.

b. I am NOT giving instructions; I am simply providing the steps that I followed that produced my results. http://dukio.com/access-psn-355-custom-fir...-dns-trick.html

c. Sticky?!?!?! Why not?!?!? Was I lucky?... maybe! Do I check checksums and MD5's?...always.

Please don't follow my instructions if you are weak at heart!

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It works- the PS3 has very basic checking (and we guess still does as part of the Sony effort that will eventually see would be hackers dropped from the service- the "hole" is trivial to fix) which just looked up a simple text file with version info on a known site over an insecure connection.
    As this site was stored as a regular web address rather than an IP (in which case you would just use a firewall) you can tweak your DNS to point to another file entirely (usually on your computer) or filter it through a proxy as it were (there was another tool that acted as a proxy but ultimately used the same hack) the PS3 sees what it thinks is the latest version and as you control it that latest version appears as your current version even if it is not. Your PS3 itself rather than the PSN servers then decides you are at the latest version and as such are capable of connecting to PSN. There have been similar hacks like this in recent times for one of the DS pokemon games and further back a similar method was used as the initial homebrew hack for the gamecube. It happens on the PC all the time as well.

Personally I am shocked the CFW makers have not simply patched it out or redirected to a text file on USB in case Sony decide to do short turnaround updates.

I strongly advise against using some random DNS server (although I equally advise against sticking with your ISP one- I have never seen a good one)- should I see such a thing when fixing computers I immediately start thinking malware, set it up yourself if you have to.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Out of interest, what's so bad about ISP-assigned DNS?

6. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    Yup, it works. Random DNS? ...meh. I personally have NO idea where my ISP does it's domain name server lookup... ... do you?

I still think this should be "stickied" ... .... at least with a "warning!"

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    OK I was perhaps a bit harsh but my usual complaints with ISP provided DNS.

Update time/lag for site changes- it often takes days for changes to trickle down.
    Reliability- I often see even smaller companies run their own or buy it in and big ones tend to do it by default. I am sure we have both seen the err frugal nature of IT spending most companies enjoy.......
    Accuracy/completeness- whether this is a side effect of update lag or just laziness I am not sure. Still not ideal though.

On the more paranoid front many ISPs filter things at the behest of the government of the country (granted the IWF and their odd proxy system are commonly abused in the UK but Denmark and Italy have a history of such things, BT have done nice things like http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/29/bt_hijack/ too although that it seems was less DNS and more headers).
    Bad lookups are returned as adverts- annoying in general and not so nice for automated tools.

As for "meh" I guess at least my ISP is held to some level of accountability and some of the more popular ones are as well (it being their business/branded service after all). Likewise I would be first in line to call someone who had troubles caused by using an unknown DNS a fool.

8. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    I wish more American ISPs were held accountable for their DNS's (commercials?!?!) Anywho, we are losing focus of the topic. Has everyone NOT gotten this "trick" to work (or am I the only one brave enough to state that it does?) I'm curious....... Please reply.

9. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    this has been working for a while, and you dont deserve a sticky for it, as its old news, that im quite surprised most people dont know about, so yes it does work, yes it has worked before, and yes sony have patched it before, how its working again, is beyond me

10. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    Yes, this has been working for quite some time. The fact that it is working NOW (again?!!) is the only reason that I am bringing it up. You can HAVE the "sticky;" as it really means nothing to me. I searched GBATemp and found nothing regarding Aaron's DNS Trick when I first posted this, .... .... now the situation is different. If I have come across as either pompous or "know-it-all," my sincerest apologies to all tempers.

Although the GBATemp "ToS" does not require members to partake in dangerous activities such as "guinea-pigging" "custom code" for the greater good; I have opted to do so. I honestly feel that my PSN ban is imminent. Jail-breaking, firmware-spoofing, unsigned backup loaders, ... etc, etc, etc.

Please understand that I hold a personal responsibility when it comes to posting both positive and negative results given the parameters that is GBATemp.

If/when this "trick" fails to work, I will undoubtedly be the first mofo to btihc about it!

11. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    It's not new at all, this trick works on every firmware update.
    There's 10-15 day laps time where the trick works until Sony patch it again.

I don't know why they don't patch it sooner, or even the very same day a new firmware is available, as they already know people will use it and they will have to fix it.
    I'm sure there's a reason why they don't do it earlier.

PS :
    Though, strangely, I couldn't use the proxy host trick on my computer while the PS3 is connected via ethernet on my router (I get connection to server time out when accessing PSN servers), but it's working fine with Wifi router.

12. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    It's still working so that's good [​IMG]
    I wonder when Sony will patch it

13. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    For more informations on the trick and how to do it yourself instead of relaying on an unknown DNS, I'll explain how it's working.
    The informations is based on the French version from this website.

On boot (and when accessing internet), the console is checking for the ps3-updatelist.txt file, located on sony's servers.
    This file contains the information of the latest available firmware. The data is then compared to your current firmware, if there's a newer version available it prompts you to update, in the other case it continue the connection request.
    3.56# EU
    Dest=85;CompatibleVersion=0000bc25-;
    Dest=85;CompatibleSystemSoftwareVersion=3.5600-;
    Dest=85;ImageVersion=0000bc76;SystemSoftwareVersion=3.5600;CDN=http://deu01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/eu/2011_0127_6e070c96e0464e993aaf9deac3660863/PS3UPDAT.PUP;CDN_Timeout=30;[/p]
    3.41# EU
    Dest=85;CompatibleSystemSoftwareVersion=3.4100-;
    Dest=85;IncrementalUpdateVersion=0000ace5-0000ace5;ImageVersion=0000afef;SystemSoftwareVersion=3.4100;CDN=http://deu01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/eu/2010_0727_00c835be718fc3d5f793e130a2b74217/PS3PATCH.PUP;CDN_Timeout=30;
    Dest=85;ImageVersion=0000afef;SystemSoftwareVersion=3.4100;CDN=http://deu01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/eu/2010_0727_00c835be718fc3d5f793e130a2b74217/PS3UPDAT.PUP;CDN_Timeout=30;

[/p]
    The trick here is to make the console thinks the last available version is the one you are currently using.

Here is the file content explained :
    • # EU
      It's your PS3's region.
    • Dest=85
      It's your PS3's Target ID.
      Target ID's list
    • CompatibleVersion=0000bc25-
      New from 3.56 firmware. I don't know yet where this value comes from, or what it needs to be. Maybe it's 3.56v1 ImageVersion value (maybe the max. ImageVersion needed to read this file. bc25 or less).
    • CompatibleSystemSoftwareVersion=3.5600-
      It's the available firmware version. (or, on my opinion, the needed firmware version to read this file : you need to be on a Version 3.56 or less)
    • ImageVersion=0000bc76
      This value must be the same as the "ImageVersion" in the PUP firmware version you want to fake. (usually the one you currently have installed on your PS3)
      To find this value, download PS3UPDAT.PUP file for the firmware you need to fake and use PUP extractor to extract its content. Once done, open ExtractionLog.txt and read the second line. report the value in lowercase.
      ImageVersions's list
    • SystemSoftwareVersion=3.5600
      It's the available firmware version. If it's superior to your currently installed firmware, it will prompt you to install it, and will use the given URL.
    • CDN=http://deu01.ps[...]PS3UPDAT.PUP
      The update URL. This URL is composed like this :

h ttp://d01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image//YYYY_MMDD_/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Where you replace:
      - By the Target ID seen above. "eu" in our case. (for European users)
      - YYYY_MMDD_ By the year, month and day. "2011_0127" in our case.
      - By the PS3UPDAT.PUP file MD5 hash, that you need to calculate or check here. "6e070c96e0464e993aaf9deac3660863" in our case. (PS: It looks like sony don't change the MD5 path value for silent updates, like 3.41v2 and 3.56v2)

NOTE : as your intention is to prevent updating and the PS3 won't use this URL, you can replace it fully to something easier like http://google.com/PS3UPDAT.PUP
      It won't be used.
    • CDN_Timeout=30
      Connection time out for the requested URL, in seconds.
    • IncrementalUpdateVersion=0000ace5-0000ace5
      Available only from 3.41. The entire line can be omitted.
      It checks your current PS3 firmware ImageVersion value to the value of the one before the last available firmware on Sony's servers, if they are identical then the PS3 downloads only the 40MB incremental update.
      If both values are different, then the PS3 download the last and full 160MB firmware.

ex.1: you are on 3.40, and 3.41 is available.
      PS3 check if one before last = 3.40 is the same as yours. 3.40 = 3.40, download only the incremental to update to 3.41
      ex.2: You are on 3.21, and 3.41 is available.
      PS3 compare 3.40 with 3.21, it's different so it download the full version.

You can now create your own PS3-updatelist.txt and use a proxy server to replace the file on request.

You are on 3.55 EU, and you want to access PSN, past this to PS3-updatelist.txt:
    # EU
    Dest=85;CompatibleSystemSoftwareVersion=3.5500-;
    Dest=85;ImageVersion=0000b99c;SystemSoftwareVersion=3.5500;CDN=www.google.fr/PS3UPDAT.PUP;CDN_Timeout=30;[/p]

14. Twilight Loz

Member Twilight Loz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ur telling me I could've had a 3.55 CFW and go on psn right now instead of updating to 3.56 and waiting for a CFW...

I think I got wasted

15. Fellow

Member Fellow GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It actually worked, thank you.

16. dlf

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Don't work for me but than I am torrenting (Brittish show. . . .)

17. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Code:
    > server 67.202.81.137
    Default Server:ÂÂip137.67-202-81.static.steadfast.net
    Address:ÂÂ67.202.81.137

> fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net
    Server:ÂÂip137.67-202-81.static.steadfast.net

Name:ÂÂÂÂfus01.ps3.update.playstation.net

> server 8.8.8.8
    Default Server:ÂÂgoogle-public-dns-a.google.com
    Address:ÂÂ8.8.8.8

> fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net
    Server:ÂÂgoogle-public-dns-a.google.com
    Address:ÂÂ8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:ÂÂÂÂa192.d.akamai.net
    Addresses:ÂÂ72.246.43.40, 72.246.43.75
    Aliases:ÂÂfus01.ps3.update.playstation.net
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂa01.cdn.update.playstation.org.edgesuite.net, playstation.sony.akadns.net
    not a big deal.. it just redirect the certain DNS name to a specific IP address.

18. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    They always fix it faster then this. They are likely tracking everyone using it to ban them all.

19. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    Cool, this really explained a lot. Merci beaucoup. [​IMG]

20. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    Works fine here as well. Thanks. Also awesome explanation Cyan! [​IMG]