Hacking A9LH vs Menuhax - Is the risk worth it?

Is the risk worth it?

• DUH!

Votes: 147 70.0%
  • lol, n0pe

Votes: 63 30.0%

• Total voters

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He is talented with a razor or a dremel. I would completely QBERT it up.

look it how clean it looks too.
15260894891_db0b2a4847_z.jpg

it looks really really good. I would probably end up setting it over. There is a 99% chance I wouldn't brick it because I read the instructions over and over,I almost want to send it just to get it done.

Reactions: Noroxus and Azel

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by hundshamer,

eightbitminiboss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ran the risk. I did a9lh on a FE Fates N3DS XL and my years old data consisting of all my purchases and Ambassador stuff. Fortunately, I didn't run into any issues and it was all gravy.

It was quite the rush during the whole process.

Reactions: NekoMichi and stl25

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
A9LH does seem to be the future, however if you have a good working setup I don't see the point to rush in to it just yet. Let the scene mature this year and then come back and re-evaluate in a few months time.

Reactions: stl25

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The boot time and boot rate are also even better arguments if you often play with friends who didn't hack their 3DS. They boot in 8 normal seconds, and if you use menuhax, you're the one who's annoying everyone by booting in 20 seconds, or even 55 if it froze in the middle of the process.
Or even without considering the boot time and rate, if you don't want people to know your 3DS is hacked, a9lh (without screen init) is also the way to go.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My 50 cents here... First of all: this will never be 100% safe. Mistakes happen to you users and to us developers as well, nobody is perfect. Add to this that this is built upon bugs and holes in Nintendo's own FW and that there can always be strange hardware quirks. Take, f.e. this guy, and note (if you're too lazy to read the whole post) that this is a hardware problem, not one of Decrypt9.

That being said, if you followed Plailects guide in the past by the word, and used OTPHelper, even one of the problematic releases (v0.6 ... v0.63), you did not encounter a bricking bug from our side. If it failed, it failed because either (a) my safety checks correctly detected something was wrong and made it stop or (b) my safety checks wrongly detected something was wrong and made it stop. In both cases, before any damage was done. In fact, we do have a pretty high success rate (keep in mind, users are more likely to report in if they have a brick).

Now, to do it, or not do it? Ask yourself, how bad would a bricked console be for you? If it would be your absolute nightmare and/or you have no possibility of getting a hardmod in case of things going awry, let it be, or at least wait for a bit (this might get safer in the future - no guarantees, though). MenuHax already provides a good enough solution for most users, and waiting an additional 20 seconds upon boot should not be of too much trouble to most users.

Last edited by d0k3,

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely worth it IMO. Of course, whether it is worth it to you depends on whether you feel okay with a slight risk of requiring a hard mod to repair the 3DS. You are taking an upfront risk for very good protection from bricks or accidental sysNAND upgrades in the future. As more homebrew take advantage of the A9LH environment, it'll only get better.

That said, if you don't want to risk needing a hardmod to repair your 3DS and you are happy with your current setup, don't feel pressured into it. There's no rush, it is not going away. A9LH is still in its early days.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH is like the 2016 model of your favorite car. It does pretty much exactly what the 2015 model does just a little quicker and more refined. It's like people who constantly upgrade their cell phone in do the minor tweaks and speed really make the upgrade price worth it. I am an advocate of A9LH but I contradict myself because I shun the constant cell phone upgraders I described above.

Using the Plailect OTP guide and awesome tools from @d0k3 like OTPHelper and Decrypt9WIP I have no doubt will result in a successful downgrade to 2.1, otp.bin retrieval and restore sysNAND to 9.2. The best thing about their approach is that at every turn of the process they make the users aware of potential brick risk as every scenario despite their best efforts cannot be accounted for, hence updates to the guide and tools to protect us from ourselves. I did the process with the old guide (2.0 I think) and I was nervous. With these tools and the new guide it seems there are more ways to verify valid dumps and understanding the process than before. Like alot of people have echoed if you are concerned do you due dilligence and review the guide and tool use before attempting. Protect yourself from your impatient self.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I started with 1 console with A9LH to try it out, the boot time doesn't matter to me, the bootrate of 100% is what makes me go for A9LH.
Now 3 consoles are on A9LH, specially those that are used by my kids, i got fed up with yellow/red screens, or phone calls from my wife telling me the kids could not play cause it was frozen again (and telling my wife over and over again to hold the power for a bit so it could turn off and reboot)

the rest wil follow shortly to A9LH! (already ready to go, just need to install A9LH, OTP getting is done on all, so no worries there anymore :P )

Last edited by DjoeN,
Reactions: stl25

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Small video I recorded yesterday to show how my n3DS is working right now.

It boots fast, 100% boot rate, access to Decrypt9 at boot. Nothing to worry about, I got plenty of nand backups ready to be restored if I fuck something up.
It's risky to downgrade, it's a fact but once it's done and that A9LH is installed, the only thing that is more secure is Hardmod. Really.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute, so from what you people are talking about...This "github plailect" guide i'm following is making me do more than usual to hack my old 3DS XL?!

I don't need this OTP stuff?!?!

NOOO NO I'VE ALREADY GOTTEN SO FAR HELP I'M ALREADY ON BOTTOM OF STEP FOUR I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IT'S 9AM I HAVEN'T SLEPT I THOUGHT IT JUST TOOK A LONG TIME TO HACK YOUR 3DS

eightbitminiboss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute, so from what you people are talking about...This "github plailect" guide i'm following is making me do more than usual to hack my old 3DS XL?!

NOOO NO I'VE ALREADY GOTTEN SO FAR HELP I'M ALREADY ON BOTTOM OF STEP FOUR I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IT'S 9AM I HAVEN'T SLEPT I THOUGHT IT JUST TOOK A LONG TIME TO HACK YOUR 3DS

If you want a9lh you NEED to get your OTP. No way around it.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country

you should follow from start to finish. the guide is complete

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Arm9Loaderhax changes the way I use my 3DS.
Normally I'd be too lazy to go in System Settings on emunand because exiting triggers the 5% bootrated sysnand's Menuhax. You can still use menuhax to load emunand after a9lh using AuReiNAND's patched sysnand mode, so you get the both worlds.
Plus.... way more options. Just back up your NANDs each step of the way and read the instructions.
#a9lhmasterrace​

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: we are fucked