Hacking A9LH vs Menuhax - Is the risk worth it?

Is the risk worth it?

• DUH!

Votes: 147 70.0%
  • lol, n0pe

Votes: 63 30.0%

• Total voters

EverythingTriggersMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you follow the guide step by step, nothing will brick, I did it with the older and "risky" guide and I end up fine
Well I did the 10.3 to 9.2 downgrade (back when it was unstable and crashed if you looked at the wrong way) and it worked fine. But, that said. I wouldn't really recommend that to anyone.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? If I bricked, I would need a hardmod. It wouldn't start at all.

I'm sorry I completely ignored the fact that you are already using menuhax. So you should have already backed up sysNAND with Decrypt9. Yes you would need a hardmod if you bricked but with the sysNAND backup you are really only bricked if something went wrong during hardmod. I think using menuhax is fine for most users, it's the users who seek that speedy, sleek and simple solution that drives us to walk the brick line in the quest for the A9LH Holy Grail. If you do not fall in line with people like me with OCD, I think menuhax more than fits the bill for your needs. If it ain't broke and you don't want to chance breaking it to enhance it, don't fix (enhance) it.

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I did the 10.3 to 9.2 downgrade (back when it was unstable and crashed if you looked at the wrong way) and it worked fine. But, that said. I wouldn't really recommend that to anyone.

I would recommend to everyone who want to try it and learn with it, with success or not they would learn a lot and would help the community getting data
Thanks to all people that tried (with success or not) today we have more stable and safer downgrades, homebrews, guides, tutorials, etc.
If the people is searching for that unstable stuff and they don't want to learn nothing, they shouldn't even thinking in doing that

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend to everyone who want to try it and learn with it, with success or not they would learn a lot and would help the community getting data
Thanks to all people that tried (with success or not) today we have more stable and safer downgrades, homebrews, guides, tutorials, etc.
If the people is searching for that unstable stuff and they don't want to learn nothing, they shouldn't even thinking in doing that
My biggest scare is putting the unbricked downgraded emunand onto sysnand and it not working for some odd reasion

Expliciate

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got a n3ds and ive heard of some ppl bricking it
If you follow the guide word for word, there's a pretty low chance of bricking. Only a handful were bricked as a result of "unbricking 2.1 emuNAND failure".
Most of those that were bricked probably overlooked something in the guide

Reactions: Raylight

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Just wait a bit for @d0k3 to work with users who possess hardmod to make this as brick proof as possible. Patience is the key (well that and a hardmod with valid sysNAND dump)
thats my plan i dont have a hardmod but im going to wait till its as safe as it can be.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you follow the guide word for word, there's a pretty low chance of bricking. Only a handful were bricked as a result of "unbricking 2.1 emuNAND failure".
Most of those that were bricked probably overlooked something in the guide
Isnt there a way to see if its unbricked beforehand? you only get one chance at it and thats whats scary. then you have to look for a trust worthy source to fix it

Last edited by Raylight,

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
I got a n3ds and ive heard of some ppl bricking it

I have a N3DS as well, and worked just fine (sure that the 2.1 NAND seemed pretty unstable, but I needed to use it for like 10 to 15 minutes max and I don't got any errors)
I just kept in my mind that if I got a brick, I would need a hardmod for sure, but I was willing to do that

Reactions: stl25

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a N3DS as well, and worked just fine (sure that the 2.1 NAND seemed pretty unstable, but I needed to use it for like 10 to 15 minutes max and I don't got any errors)
I just kept in my mind that if I got a brick, I would need a hardmod for sure, but I was willing to do that
I may try this when im in a daring mood because i do dig 100% bootrate maybe when the next rxcfw comes out with a9lh ill do it

Last edited by Raylight,

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once CFW is setup correctly the 3DS will boot just fine. It will look like a brick if you do not have the files setup correctly. Menuhax is still a viable entrypoint for those on the fence and for sure there is no need to rush into A9LH. Do your research and look for further developments in A9LH to make it more appealing. Good luck whichever way you go.

Also as a side note, if you take the A9LH plunge, follow the guide and make sure you keep good sysNAND backups of pre-A9LH and post-A9LH sysNANDs as well as otp.bin. Burn it to removable media, backup to flash drive, keep on 3DS SD if space is not an issue. Research A9LH CFW to see proper install and use (there are multiple options and each needs to be fully understood to avoid confusion and potentially doing something without thinking). The respected devs make guides for a reason, so please utilize them and though there is some risk, everything should work out fine. A9LH is like the McDonald's slogan "I'm lovin' it.

if it bricks i am fucked even with the backups. I either have to send it to hundshammer or learn to solder.

If youre going to be installing cia's. You'll need to have the sd inserted anyway

yes but it bricks the original functionality of the 3ds. It bothers me

I rather have a band bin and have to pay $20 for a restore then 200 for a new 3ds

who restores for 20$ here?

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's like breaking a bone, it can be fixed to original functionality and can even be stronger. Maybe a crappy analogy but you get the point.

A9LH is like college, it's not for everyone.

@funnystory your quote if it bricks i am fucked even with the backups. I either have to send it to hundshammer or learn to solder.

The latter could prove to be useful in future handheld/electronics hacking ventures.

Last edited by stl25,

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's like breaking a bone, it can be fixed to original functionality and can even be stronger. Maybe a crappy analogy but you get the point.

A9LH is like college, it's not for everyone.

@funnystory your quote if it bricks i am fucked even with the backups. I either have to send it to hundshammer or learn to solder.

The latter could prove to be useful in future handheld/electronics hacking ventures.

I was going to learn to solder when i was 10 because I wanted to hardmod my xbox with a chip but my dad wouldn't let me open it. I ended up doing a softmod instead. I am still angry to this day because it is much easier to learn to do something when you are a kid and the brain still has plasticity. Now I am 21 and I still want to learn to solder. I just don't know how to make those perfect holes hundshammer makes for the ports.

Hey if it bricks and you have to send it in, then you never have to worry about bricks again right?

Very true,I just want to learn to hardmod myself. I almost want to hardmod it just for kicks even if it doesn't brick lol.

Reactions: Just Passing By

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.