A9LH vs Menuhax - Is the risk worth it?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by EverythingTriggersMe, Mar 14, 2016.

?

Is the risk worth it?

1. DUH!

147 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. lol, n0pe

63 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. EverythingTriggersMe
    OP

EverythingTriggersMe Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    United States
    I'm currently using Menuhax to boot CakesFW emuNAND. I have a 98% boot rate right now and I only mess with things in emuNAND. I don't touch sysNAND at all. Is it worth risking bricking my n3DS when downgrading it to 2.1 for OTP? Why do you use it?

2. Expliciate

Expliciate GBAtemp Regular

Oct 2, 2015
    Canada
    #A9LHMasterRace

3. BMO

BMO GBAtemp Regular

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    I did because my boot rate was horrid with Rxtools/autoboot menuhax on my O3DS and got tired of it.

I was in it for the 100% boot rate and faster load times(I now get into my home menu in 8~9 seconds compared to menuhax which took 25~30 seconds. Having a safenet with being able to restore my nand should I ever brick and more space on my SD due to getting rid of emunand were only pluses

If you have something that works I wouldnt really bother because it is really tedious to set up

4. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Man ive been contemplating it. I just can't get over the fact that I have to have an sdcard installed at all times

5. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    faster loading of cfw and 100% boot rate plus a recovery menu if you brick but no it's not worth the risk...yet. Im happy with menuhax and emunand it gets the job done. if im going to risk bricking my system it better be for more perks than the above.

PECONAUT, hiten, aos10 and 2 others like this.
  6. stl25

stl25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    Here, there and everywhere
    If you do not want to run the risk of brick and are not interested in a hardmod, I would say keep using menuhax if it works well for you. If you don't mind taking a little risk and follow the guide correctly there is a high probability that you will have no issues downgrading to 2.1 getting otp.bin upgrading back to 9.2 and installing A9LH. @d0k3's OTPHelper and @Plailect's OTP guide makes the process much easier than previous. It is really up to your comfort level. Good luck whatever you decide and if you go for gold and try A9LH there is a whole community here to help.

EverythingTriggersMe likes this.
  7. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    If youre going to be installing cia's. You'll need to have the sd inserted anyway

8. Svaethier

Svaethier GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
    well with the newly improved guide I hear has been made then it should be no problem getting your OTP now.

stl25 likes this.
  9. stl25

Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    Once CFW is setup correctly the 3DS will boot just fine. It will look like a brick if you do not have the files setup correctly. Menuhax is still a viable entrypoint for those on the fence and for sure there is no need to rush into A9LH. Do your research and look for further developments in A9LH to make it more appealing. Good luck whichever way you go.

Also as a side note, if you take the A9LH plunge, follow the guide and make sure you keep good sysNAND backups of pre-A9LH and post-A9LH sysNANDs as well as otp.bin. Burn it to removable media, backup to flash drive, keep on 3DS SD if space is not an issue. Research A9LH CFW to see proper install and use (there are multiple options and each needs to be fully understood to avoid confusion and potentially doing something without thinking). The respected devs make guides for a reason, so please utilize them and though there is some risk, everything should work out fine. A9LH is like the McDonald's slogan "I'm lovin' it.

Last edited by stl25, Mar 14, 2016
    Gray_Jack likes this.
  10. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.14.6-1-zen
    Care linking it?

EverythingTriggersMe likes this.
  11. Svaethier

Svaethier GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
  12. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    To me it's scarier to go from 9.3+ to 9.2 then 9.2 to 2.x

People blindly downgrade with no nand backup to 9.2 but fear 2.x with a nand backup

Quantumcat, julialy, pedroren and 3 others like this.
  13. Bu2d85

Bu2d85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Bu2d85 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2014
    United States
    - snip

14. stl25

Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    Decryp9WIP, OTPHelper and https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki are your friends. @Ronhero you are correct the scariest part of the whole process for me was downgrading my Hyrule Edition N3DS XL from 9.9 to 9.2. After that I felt I could do A9LH due to making a sysNAND backup allowing me to at least get a hardmod and restore if anything went awry.

Ronhero likes this.
  15. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Exactly my point.

stl25 likes this.
  16. EverythingTriggersMe
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    United States
    Most people aren't hard modded anyway.

17. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Yes but if you brick a 9.3+ dg you're usually fucked. With otp a nand backup is required so a brick is never going to completely ruined your system

Last edited by Ronhero, Mar 14, 2016
  18. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    • It makes emuNAND useless (though you can have it in A9LH);
    • Theoretically you can have CFW in any system version till now;
    • 100% boot rate;
    • If using emuNAND you can run it faster than Home Menu;
    • It can improve some homebrews there insn't 100% (like GBA emulator and other stuff);
    • It creates a opportunity to create new kinds of homebrews (GodMode9 for example -> root 3DS file explorer -> there's a 3dsx version, but seen to be originally thought for A9LH)
    You don't need to rush into A9LH, but it is the future of 3ds homebrew and hacking

19. EverythingTriggersMe
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    United States
    No, my point was if I made a nand backup and bricked. I'd still have no way to restore it.

20. Gray_Jack
    This message by Gray_Jack has been removed from public view by shaunj66, Mar 14, 2016, Reason: Quaduple post.
    Mar 14, 2016
  21. EverythingTriggersMe
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    United States
    **weird triple post for some reason**

Last edited by EverythingTriggersMe, Mar 14, 2016
  22. Gray_Jack
    This message by Gray_Jack has been removed from public view by shaunj66, Mar 14, 2016, Reason: Quaduple post.
    Mar 14, 2016
  23. stl25

Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    Yes but with your sysNAND backup you should feel much more confident that you will get to A9LH. I will beat the dead horse yet again. If you would be crushed to lose your 3DS then do especially yourself a favor and have the sysNAND backup first before disturbing your fully functioning setup menuhax setup.

24. EverythingTriggersMe
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    United States
    **weird triple post for some reason**

Last edited by EverythingTriggersMe, Mar 14, 2016
  25. Gray_Jack
    Mar 14, 2016
  26. VinsCool

VinsCool Scrambled Mind

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Totally worth it.

It's a pain to dump the OTP, but once this step is done, everything else is beer.

Gray_Jack likes this.
  27. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I rather have a band bin and have to pay $20 for a restore then 200 for a new 3ds

28. EverythingTriggersMe
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, but I have to risk breaking my n3DS to do that.

29. stl25

Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    You would need an entrypoint (menuhax, browserhax, oothax, ninjhax, other haxx I have forgot) to launch Decrypt9 as a .3dsx to make a sysNAND backup before proceeding further. Ocarina of Time 3D is $20 and can be found just about everywhere now (Walmart, Bestbuy, Amazon, Target). Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy. You will be glad you did. And yes before I get flamed you will need another hacked 3DS to install OOTHAX on your cart.

30. EverythingTriggersMe
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    United States
    What? If I bricked, I would need a hardmod. It wouldn't start at all.