Hacking A9LH SysNand vs Emunand v2

Do you have single NAND setup or a Dual Nand setup?

• I only use A9HL on my SYSnand

Votes: 32 86.5%
  • i have a Stock SYSnand and use A9LH on my EMUnand

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now i have asked this question a while back but now i am doing a rehash now that there was a lot of advancements to the 3ds hacking scene.

so heres my current setup, i haven't done any updates hackwise to it so it may be outdated

i have my N3ds wiith A9LH (v1 i assume) with the systemNAND on stock 9.0 and AuReiNand emunand Max updated.

i have been wondering about just having everything installed on my sysnand seeing how things are pretty well established in the hacking scene.
and my Supercard DSTWO+ broke so i also would like to play my Converted DS Backups on the system menu (if thats possible) and if i remember that words the same like gba installed, that they must be installed on the SYSNand to work.

now so far i have convinced myself of some pros of having only one nand.

• even faster boot/handling speed
  • less dependent on the SD card
  • DS/GBA installed titles work with less hassle

now the only reason i just dont do it is is my worries on how strong and future prof is our A9LH against nintendo.
One thing is that if anything goes wrong in emunand you can just flash a backup, i know you can with A9LH you can as well but yea.
if i go uniSYSNand for how long can i naively update?
can nintendo break my A9LH with updates?
anything extra steps i need to take to protect my N3ds?

D

Deleted-379826

Anyone with A9LH and an emuNAND needs to just stop. There's no reason to keep using an emuNAND anymore and it's a waste of space for paranoia.
I agree I just have two on my O3ds for good reasons. Emunand 1 is a dev fw emunand just in case I might ever put it to use and my second is an emunand I'm using to help my cousin with DsiWare downgrade. But if ya don't have a reason like that I'd have to agree with crystal there is literally no point!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Excuse me, I run a dev FW on emuNAND. :P
You see, that's putting it to practical use, but if you are using it for your everyday gaming, then you just need to stop.

On topic: It's always going to be safe to update your sysNAND. With current FIRM protection, it's impossible for Nintendo to remove A9LH. Nintendo also won't target A9LH because targeted updates would actually brick the system and have the risk of bricking clean systems too.
There's just no reason to use an emuNAND for everyday gaming. Sure if you are using it for testing or dev Firmware, that's different. But if you are keeping it because you are worried about Nintendo, then you need to stop being so worried.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone with A9LH running an EmuNAND exclusively needs to just stop. There's no reason to avoid using your SysNAND anymore and unless you're an edge case who genuinely needs two or more NAND images on your system it's a waste of space for paranoia.
Improved a little. And ninja'd, apparently. Still, I like this post. :P

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Improved a little. And ninja'd, apparently. Still, I like this post. :P
My post wasn't actually finished, I accidentally posted it, then my laptop froze well I was editing it, so I posted the rest of it in the other reply. 90% of my posts get edited like 6 times before I finally post them.

Reactions: N7Kopper

GreaterDog

A True Warrior, A Warning 9 Warrior
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
We already have the Luma3DS firm patches to protect our sysNAND for ''naive updates'' so either way if there is a update coming up we will wait if it's possible to update to a newer version without the fear of losing a9lh. The consequence of this makes emuNAND useless compared to what we a9lh user got. Now it's just a waste of MB if you're keeping it or maybe use for Dev project purposes only.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I still use emuNAND. Mainly because I like having my (almost) untouched sysNAND as a backup if my emuNAND backups turns out to be corrupted. I don't care about the "waste of space", the only upside would be DSi Ware just having to be installed once.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My post wasn't actually finished, I accidentally posted it, then my laptop froze well I was editing it, so I posted the rest of it in the other reply. 90% of my posts get edited like 6 times before I finally post them.
I know the pain. I have an old clunker of a laptop that has a semi-busted keyboard, and is so slow half the time that letters don't update as I type them. If only the Skater browser could download files like the PSP's one can.
(and play videos saved on the SD Card, ooh that'd be lovely)

But, yeah. FIRM protection prevents you from losing hax from an update. And also bricking. Save the megabytes, and kill those EmuNANDs! #gdqjoke

And off topic, you remind me of my girlfriend. (Maybe the "you're both transwomen" thing has something small to do with that) Just replace the furriness with a macrophilia kick and you're like her but more knowledgable about computers and stuff. So when you have one of those cute "not too furry" pictures like Gardevoir or Midna or whatever, I think of her and get warm fuzzy feelings. Thanks. :3

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know the pain. I have an old clunker of a laptop that has a semi-busted keyboard, and is so slow half the time that letters don't update as I type them. If only the Skater browser could download files like the PSP's one can.
(and play videos saved on the SD Card, ooh that'd be lovely)

But, yeah. FIRM protection prevents you from losing hax from an update. And also bricking. Save the megabytes, and kill those EmuNANDs! #gdqjoke

And off topic, you remind me of my girlfriend. (Maybe the "you're both transwomen" thing has something small to do with that) Just replace the furriness with a macrophilia kick and you're like her but more knowledgable about computers and stuff. So when you have one of those cute "not too furry" pictures like Gardevoir or Midna or whatever, I think of her and get warm fuzzy feelings. Thanks. :3
I am her :ninja:
Glad I make you feel more comfortable here on the Temp ^_^

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have a9lh and rednand, both are on 11.0 because I used my emunand to experiment with something, anyway I always use sysnand but I'm not going to bother to eliminate my emunand, I might need my emunand again just for experiments reasons

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
i use emunand because even though using sysnand is "safe" with arm9 ive seen cases of problems that the 3ds sysnand dies, the cases are far more frequent since arm9 was introudced and updated sysnand was a reality, the space doesnt matter in a high end sd card, and sd cards are cheap, if you are not afraid for the fact that these cases are more common, just dont use it, if you feel safe by using a sd card and 2 gb less then use emunand, but i dont want to risk it too much

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on a quick note what exactly is screen init?
im getting mixed messages that some say its for splash screens on the 3ds and some say its for launching app payloads? can i not have screen init on to chop off the 3 seconds delay and still launch apps if i hold button combos?

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
on a quick note what exactly is screen init?
im getting mixed messages that some say its for splash screens on the 3ds and some say its for launching app payloads? can i not have screen init on to chop off the 3 seconds delay and still launch apps if i hold button combos?
It's needed for anything that requires screen display.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?