A9LH on my N3DS 10.7 - what to expect?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by DaRk_ViVi, Apr 20, 2016.

1. DaRk_ViVi
    OP

DaRk_ViVi Sending you back... to the future!

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    I'm actually wondering if to do A9LH on my N3DS 10.7. I'm currently using ninjhax to load homebrew and don't have any emunand or anything else to mess with my fw, and i have a few questions about the process:

1) Am I going to lose anything from my N3DS during the downgrade/OTP ecc process to get A9LH running? Like installed games, customizations (icons order, official themes), savegames ecc.

2) After the installation will I be able to update the N3DS to new firmwares without the fear to lose the homebrew ability?

Anything else I need to know about A9LH?

2. SkyChotik

SkyChotik Well-known Member

Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    1) If you follow plailects guide, you won't lose a thing. Just remember to backup your nand.bin before you do anything else, since you already have an access point.
    2) Yup, you can update just fine because the cfw's protect the FIRM version (where a9lh is)

3. Hoppy

Hoppy GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Fluffy Island
    I lost my DSiWare saves (only had like 2 that I cared about though), and games in folders were taken out and scattered about. Thankfully, using the HOME Menu Save thing, you can return the games back to normal.
    So, you should be fine if you don't care about DSiWare. :)

Last edited by Hoppy, Apr 20, 2016
  4. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Make a dump of your sysNAND, backup all files from your SD card, if possible save your home menu layout using the option on Home Menu.
    To be double sure, while you are downgraded at 9.2, use JK Save Manager to backup all your 3DS CIA saves and if you want, your Mii Plaza games progress. Then proceed to downgrading to 2.1, getting OTP and then when you restore a image to sysNAND, restore from your 1st sysNAND backup remembering to use the option to retain A9LH on Decrypt9Wip.
    Then copy back your SD files.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    When you downgrade to 2.1 you will lose the icon order, best backup your SD card data before downgrading (I think this is part of the guide anyway) and restore it when you are back on 9.2.

6. DaRk_ViVi
    OP

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    Thanks to everyone for the infos! ^^
    @Hoppy: Nice avatar! :D

Hoppy likes this.
  7. Hoppy

Hoppy GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Fluffy Island
    Glad I could help~ and thank you! :P

Lan Hikari likes this.
  8. DaRk_ViVi
    OP

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    Just one more info: how long does it take to do the whole process on a new3DS following plailects guide? I've read about several hours, but more or less how many?
    I'm not a total n00b so I hope to do it properly on the first try. :D

9. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    I guess it depends from person to person it only took me just over 2 hours to do but I have a heck of a lot experience in hacking various systems. If someone has a lot less experience I would hugely recommend they take a lot longer to do it and read the guide several times before attempting it.

Last edited by Marko76, Apr 21, 2016
  10. Februarysn0w

Februarysn0w School Idol Festival

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    save 9.2 nand backup forever.

11. DaRk_ViVi
    OP

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    Sadly I could't downgrade properly my n3DS to 10.7, followed Plaitect's Guide but after the downgrade to 9.2 the 3DS gives an Error on boot and I have to use Recovery to get to 10.7 again.
    Tried 3 times and always got that error even if the downgrade went fine (except the auto reboot). :(

12. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Do you have a patched FIRM? Have you tried formatting before downgrading?

13. DaRk_ViVi
    OP

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    No, clean firmware and never did anything on this 3DS except Ninjhax. No Gateway, Profile Exploit ecc, CFW ecc.
    No I haven't tried formatting because I have no backup of my 3DS.

14. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Then try formatting.

15. ThePanchamBros

ThePanchamBros Hates the Undertale Fandom

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Under your bed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Some advice before you begin:

Make sure you have about 6 hours to spare, b/c this is a pretty easy, but long process
    Also, follow the guide step by step so you don't brick.
    And you can use Jk's savemanager to manage your saves, but the guide should warn you about this anyways.
    Yes, you can update, I have a9lh and am on 10.7.

16. bones123

bones123 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2015
    Canada
    I did this exact thing yesterday on my N3DS XL 10.7 on ReiNand - It only took about 3 hours, but I'd say give yourself a contingency of ~2 hours for if you forget to do a backup/dump or something and you need to go back and do something again.

I didn't even backup my games or saves or anything, and I lost nothing. Totally worth it to change from MenuHax to A9, it's just so much better in every single way.

17. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Did you take a nap during the process? Should take no more than 3.5 from a fresh system, providing you end up with no issues along the way....Although I suppose worst case scenario, 5 hours or so MIGHT be a possibility.

18. hacksn5s4

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    it only takes logn because of all the downgrading you need to do