A9LH Installation guides, (Your preference of Emunand vs crt transfer)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Sep 24, 2016.

?

Which do you feel comfortable with more

1. Emunand path to a9lh

2. Crt tansfer Path to a9lh

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    According to a tracking information, i will be receiving a new nintendo 3DS on Monday, i will be able to install the a9lh on it seeing how is 10.7 and all. I used the emunand process on 3 Different systems (Original 3ds, 3DS xl and new 3DS) I do have two oppertunities to use ctr transfer, but after using the other one multiple times is hard to mak such a change. If there is anyone out there who has tried both, please leave any personal comments about your thoughts. This is not a comparison or a battle, i am simply asking how you feel about it, which do you prefer, this is all stictly opinion based questions, not competition since both guides are written by the same person. :)

2. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    How in seven hells would anyone prefer emuNAND to ctr transfer when you can do the latter in an hour compared to 3 for the former?

Quantumcat, KunoichiZ and Davidosky99 like this.
  3. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Having done the emunand thing too many times to count, I find that the new system is less finicky. I had two old 3DSes fail OTP Helper all the time, and I literally had to reformat it 25 times to get it to finally work.

The ctrnand method is less panic inducing - as it just takes a couple of steps and all of them are automated. (Except for typing in the github address...)

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You would have to downgrade to 9.0/9.1/9.2 firmware if the system firmware is higher than 9.2 before using the arm9 exploit

5. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    I have done 10 emuNAND a9LH installs and one CTR-Transfer install.

I would vote the CTR-Transfer every time. No need to format the memory card, no need to make more than one NAND backup, much faster downgrade to 2.1, no need to format NANDs or start over if emuNAND doesn't downgrade properly with sysUpdater. When you've got A9LH installed you just restore your backup and then update to the current firmware, no need to switch sysNAND with emuNAND or reformat the memory card to get your extra 1-2GB of space back.

Overall, I feel the CTR-Transfer is safer, faster, easier and all around the best way to do it so far.

6. tvall

tvall GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2014
    United States
    my first two installs were working with just sysnand, before the guide. next was emunand using the then new guide, and last was ctr-transfer.

i vote ctr-transfer. so much quicker. took like an hour, only 20 minutes or so i wwas actually actively doing something

7. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    I simply fail to see the point of this kind of threads.

8. FakuMotaFaka

FakuMotaFaka GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    Forget all you know about previous a9lh installation.