[A9lh] - Have you guys kept both sysNAND & emuNAND after flashing arm9loaderhax?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by stebrick, Apr 6, 2016.

?

[A9lh] - Do you guys keep both sysNAND & emuNAND after flashing arm9loaderhax?

1. Yes. Keeping both sysNAND emuNAND.

43.5%
  2. No. Keeping sysNAND only.

56.5%
  1. stebrick
    OP

stebrick Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Apart from knowing the result, I would like to hear the pros and cons of doing so and not doing so, and to decide how I should proceed to flash A9lh.

One of my considerations is whether it is possible to keep one ticket.db absolutely clean (like in emuNAND, by formatting that system) and being dumped to sysNAND (where I'd install most CIAs there) in case we need it.

Last edited by stebrick, Apr 6, 2016
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    My emuNAND is installed on another SD card, my current is SysNAND only

MajinCubyan likes this.
  3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    SysNAND is more convenient. I was going to look at getting a 9.2 emuNAND to use Gateway with (badge arcade) but with their announcement that they'll support a9lh I decided to wait and see.

4. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    I used to use A9LH with EmuNAND until someone pointed out to me how CFW on A9LH was just as safe/intuitive to use on SysNAND. In fact, if you have an N3DS, NAND read/write speeds are faster because it uses the internal hardware than the SD card.

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    I still have my emunand. Planning on keeping it on, for posterity.

Thats a good idea. I'm gonna have to do that.

6. Jhyrachy

Jhyrachy GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2011
    Italy
    Old3DS

Sysnand only, much more easy to use VC games

FrozenDragon150 likes this.
  7. stebrick
    OP

stebrick Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Ar huh, how could you possibly know my reason of using A9lh..:rofl:

But I guess there is no harm to keep the EmuNand too? Though I am not sure the advantages of having two systems co-existing...

8. lpchaim

lpchaim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2013
    Brazil
    New 3DS XL owner here, been using sysnand CFW only for some weeks now. I was afraid of migrating my emunand for quite some time but upon reading more about sysnand cfw and realizing it's not as dangerous as it initially sounds and not necessarily riskier than emunand anyway I finally jumped the shark. Couldn't be happier with how my n3dsxl is setup right now, honestly.
    As for pros:
    • Reclaimed SD space previously occupied by the emunand(s). Some NAND chip models in the n3ds get to be 1.8GB IIRC, although rednand support in recent emunand9 releases should mitigate that provided your card is reformatted for it.
    • No need to go through the process of migrating emunand over if you happen to switch SD cards at some point.
    • Booting is very fast, approaching a stock console (mine takes around 8 or 9 seconds).
    • I don't have use for this function in particular, but installing Virtual Console stuff is pretty much painless compared to emunand setups, at least in AuReiNand AFAIK.
    • It may sound stupid, but one of the perks I like the most is my console behaving like a vanilla one from boots and soft reboots, as in a9lhax makes it stealth enough that one'd be hard pressed to identify significant differences from a stock unity.
    Now for cons... I honestly can't bring myself to think of any significant ones, provided you've already gone through the huge ordeal that is getting your otp key for a9lh anyway. Emunand to sysnand is a pretty painless although admittedly long process because of slow backups and whatnot. I suppose one would be if a future update managed to forcibly overwrite a9lh even with current protections, which isn't completely out of question I guess. Then again we already had to look up and confirm wether emunand worked on new system versions and fixes would most likely drop shortly after so it's not that big of a deal to me.

I suppose you could use emunand for testing risky injection stuff so that you don't have to mess with sysnand, but with proper support for a9lhax keeping in recent decrypt9 builds it's not really needed anymore. As you said there's definitely no harm, even if I honestly fail to see any real benefits either haha. I guess if you absolutely must have two separate accounts?

Last edited by lpchaim, Apr 7, 2016
    peteruk and CrispyYoshi like this.
  9. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Aren't the newer versions of RetroArch rigged to only work on EmuNAND? I could have sworn they did that to encourage people to switch to EmuNAND as a safety net, unless they reversed that recently and I didn't catch it. I'd think I'd want to stick with EmuNAND just for that.

10. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Original region sysNAND and region changed (JP) emunand.

11. lpchaim

lpchaim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2013
    Brazil
    Wow, I really hope that's not the case. I can't fathom not being able to update retroarch because of such a stupid artificial limitation like this one.
    Oh, that's a use case for emunand I hadn't considered. And it's actually pretty neat.

12. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Where'd you hear that?

13. XiaoDii

XiaoDii Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2016
    Switzerland
    Being lazy to copy emunand to sysnand, I just decided to keep it since it did not take a large amount of space. And with AureiNand, I can choose to boot into either sysnand or emunand easily.

14. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2015
    sysnand all the way, thanks to @Supster131 giving me the courage to go ahead with it

booting in around 7.4 seconds to a ready to use state

I can think of no downsides, I never used retroarch anyway

I guess we will all see if our bravery has paid off when a new kernel / firm update is released, then some fun and games (maybe)

15. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Flashing? Well, after installing a9lh, yes I kept a 9.2 emunand, mainly for browser exploits with the Pokemon games.

16. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    i only use sysNAND on my 2 a9lhaxed o3ds consoles.

17. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    They weren't rigged, they just simply didn't work on sysNAND, but they do now.

peteruk likes this.
  18. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    Okay, I thought it was intentional or something, to keep people from possibly screwing up their SysNAND and flooding the board with help topics or general complaining.

Anyways, if you set up A9LH to run EmuNAND, does it slow down the boot sequence very much? I'd still rather have it as a safety net. Like they say, "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

19. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I noticed no real difference in boot times when I used emuNAND + A9LH vs. sysNAND. If you have a decent SD card, the difference is probably not even humanly perceivable.

Ammako likes this.
  20. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I like keeping my emunand so if worst case scenario something does go wrong, I don't lose a n3ds xl, just a sd card

Maximilious and Ammako like this.