Homebrew A5200DS - Improved

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im also a fan of the Commodore 64 computer, such a shame you can't properly run that ona DSi :(
Anything is possible :)

It's just time and effort really... is there a semi-functional C64 emulator for the DS that I could start with as a base? I'm less keen on starting from scratch, but I'd be somewhat interested if there was a half-functional emulator that I could use as a baseline and improve.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah! Right... I forgot about FrodoDS... I actually did get the source code loaded on my development system but it wouldn't compile - I think it's expecting some ancient version of LIBNDS... I left it to work on 'someday'... maybe I'll dust it off. If I could get it to build with latest LIBNDS and tools and run on the DS, I can definitely improve it.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's definitely a newer build! It still doesn't run right on my DSi but perhaps the code is closer to the more modern libnds toolset. Do you know if the sources were ever released for this "Spinal" build?

Reactions: banjo2

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
That's definitely a newer build! It still doesn't run right on my DSi but perhaps the code is closer to the more modern libnds toolset. Do you know if the sources were ever released for this "Spinal" build?
You could maybe ask spinal_cord, looks like he was online a couple of hours ago

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.0 is released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/A5200DS

V3.0 : 04-Nov-2021
* New sound core to eliminate zingers.
* 5200.rom bios can be in /roms/bios or /data/bios

Mostly I'm on a cleanup pass of the older emulators I've worked on... I've ported over the Nintellivision sound handling code to eliminate the Zingers in the Atari 5200/800 core. I'll get out a new XEGS-DS build soon but for now, the A5200DS is zinger-free.

I also took this opportunity to allow the bios files to reside in alternate directories... with all these emulators, there are a growing number of BIOS files and the OCD in me wants them all in one clean directory :)

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.1 is released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/A5200DS

V3.1 : 30-Nov-2021
  • Switched to maxmod audio library for improved sound.
  • Try to start in /roms or /roms/a5200 if possible
To mirror the release of XEGS-DS 2.8 - the new maxmod streaming audio library is in for the red-headed stepchild of the 8-bit consoles!

General chit-chat
Help Users
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: Ghosts is a pretty good show on the bbc