Hacking A weird semi-brick

BIGWORM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put BootMii as a boot2 on my friend's Wii before I did anything to it, and backed up the NAND on the sd. I installed HBC and then updated to 4.0 through Waninkoko's updater. Got homebrew going no problem, but couldn't, for the life of my, get his backups going. I had also installed cIOS38 rev13b, and of course backup launcher gamma with the 002 fix. Still had problem, so I, like a dumbass, I uninstalled all of the IOS I had before, unfortunately including the system 289.wad. This pretty much bricked my Wii. But here's the odd part--BootMii says the NAND on the card is from a different Wii? I don't get it. Can I bypass that check or something? I also tried going to HBC through BootMii, but I get nothing but a black screen. What files should I have on the SD right now? Can I recover from this?

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
BIGWORM said:
I put BootMii as a boot2 on my friend's Wii before I did anything to it, and backed up the NAND on the sd. I installed HBC and then updated to 4.0 through Waninkoko's updater. Got homebrew going no problem, but couldn't, for the life of my, get his backups going. I had also installed cIOS38 rev13b, and of course backup launcher gamma with the 002 fix. Still had problem, so I, like a dumbass, I uninstalled all of the IOS I had before, unfortunately including the system 289.wad. This pretty much bricked my Wii. But here's the odd part--BootMii says the NAND on the card is from a different Wii? I don't get it. Can I bypass that check or something? I also tried going to HBC through BootMii, but I get nothing but a black screen. What files should I have on the SD right now? Can I recover from this?

You are quite screwed.

1. You removed the system menu. Hard to recover, but do-able. Please read the negative effects from that first, here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158091

2. You removed the homebrew channels' IOS. Probably IOS 61. Try booting the HackMii installer from the .ELF runner within BootMii.
(2.a If that doesn't work, you need to create a MINI-based program (I think) to reinstall the HBC. But I'm not sure.)

QUOTE(donchen @ Jun 4 2009, 09:59 AM) You have preloader?

Preloader will be deleted too, when you remove the system menu.

Anyway, look it at the bright side. You have bootmii as boot2. Which will make it 100% possible to unbrick your Wii, but it might just take some time.

donchen

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I haven't recovered from a backed up NAND before. But i am pretty sure you just need the nand.bin that was created when you back it up previously.

And no, you probably can't bypass that check because bootmii will probably check if they keys in the nand.bin are the same as the one in your wii before restoring it.

Unfortunately, i do not know what you can do but i am pretty sure someone will have a solution for you.

You have preloader?

*EDIT
So you can't run HBC through bootmii because you uninstalled IOS61?

BIGWORM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SUPER BUMP!!

I got a hold of the man named bushing, and through his expertise, I'm able to boot back to HBC. For some reason, it still won't boot to sysmenu, but I can boot to HBC. Where do I go from here? cIOS249? Waninkoko's 4.0 updater? I'll have to patch the files manually, because I'm unable to setup wifi access (unless there's some way I can through an app).

Another small thing, I believe the settings.txt was erased, so I need a GCN controller. Does the latest version of HBC support the controller? I'm hoping it does.

Someone point me to a guide?

BIGWORM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supagusti said:
Just use the ultimate guide

Did you find out, why you can't restore your nand backup ?

turned out it was the SD card my friend was using in his Wii, which was the 2GB Nintendo-branded SanDisk you can buy at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks. Though it took up physical space in the SD card, it turned up as a zero-byte file. I backed it up again (after the fact) on my Kingston microSD with SD adapter no problem.

The backup process was painfully slow, too. Literally took about half an hour just to backup the NAND. bushing wasn't able to recover the NAND from the raw image of my friend's SD, so he gave me a barebones NAND. Though like I said, I dion't have wiimote support atm and someone is already looking into getting that going for me to control HBC with a GCN controller.

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
glad everything is starting to look up
yay.gif
good luck and why did you uninstall the IOS again a couldn't see that helping with the backup launcher ????

BIGWORM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to run and purchase a GCN controller. Is there any way to run HBC through a GCN controller? I've lost all wiimote functionality for the time being, so i won't be able to do half the stuff you guys are suggesting. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to run HBC to get stuff going. Someone pmed me, cwstjdenobs, saying that he'd be able to mod HBC so that it can run on a GCN controller. But if that's the case, how would I be able to impliment that ability?

junker_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darkmystery said:
BIGWORM said:

You are quite screwed.

1. You removed the system menu. Hard to recover, but do-able. Please read the negative effects from that first, here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158091

2. You removed the homebrew channels' IOS. Probably IOS 61. Try booting the HackMii installer from the .ELF runner within BootMii.
(2.a If that doesn't work, you need to create a MINI-based program (I think) to reinstall the HBC. But I'm not sure.)

QUOTE(donchen @ Jun 4 2009, 09:59 AM) You have preloader?

Preloader will be deleted too, when you remove the system menu.

Anyway, look it at the bright side. You have bootmii as boot2. Which will make it 100% possible to unbrick your Wii, but it might just take some time.
darkmystery, i love your profile pic, who is that girl cuz shes hot

BIGWORM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should I be able to run .dol files through bootmii, because it's not letting me. The only dol it's letting me run is the bootmii dol itself.

codone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you backed up the Wii's NAND with Bootmii, did you abort the "Verify" sequence? If so, SHAME on you. If not -- then its not much good is it?

BIGWORM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K, bought a wavebird from my local gamestop. I'm able to navigate HBC, but for some reason, it won't see the gc_fix folder I put in the apps folder. Do i need that meta.xml file or something?

BIGWORM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to double post but I wanted to bump with good news!

The simple question of GCN pad support in HBC was answered with me going out and buying a wavebird for 15 (NICE). Thanks to darkmystery's link in the 2nd post, I got the GC wad manager going. I had another SD with all the necessary IOSes laying around (thankfully)...reinstalled all of the IOSes, and reinstalled the system wad, and BOOM, I'm back in business. I was able to bypass that setting.txt altogether. Now that I'm on 3.2U, I'll just fix my wifi, and use wanin's firmware updater to 4.0!

YAY! Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions and help.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good to hear, but next time try not to do something so utterly stupid and pointless and try not to skip the verification on the nand backup if you did.

BIGWORM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Good to hear, but next time try not to do something so utterly stupid and pointless and try not to skip the verification on the nand backup if you did.

Don't know if I had said this already or not, but NO, I DID NOT skip the verification. As you said, that'd be stupid.

And, like I said before, I'm still a noob when it comes to Wii hacking. We all have to start somewhere...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more