Discussion A way to lock Link´s Awakening to 30fps

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by Lusterknight, Sep 17, 2019.

1. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Realistically, with the lead time on manufacturing physical releases, it's not that surprising when "fairly finished" versions of games are put on the cartridge, leaving them months to work on optimisation for the day one patch.

Hopefully, anyway.

chaoskagami and leafeon34 like this.
  2. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't reviewers have access to those patches then?
    Lately updates have been appearing over a month before the game is even released on the cdn.

3. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Guys/gals, the fps isnt really a problem. its not affecting gameplay, its just a shame that a 1st party game with average graphics has fps problems, but again its totally playable.

Buuuuuuut, I do hope they fix how slowly Link walks.....shit is torture.

Last edited by burial, Sep 19, 2019
  4. dragnipur

dragnipur Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2017
    United States
    no lag so far? let us know how your playthrough goes if you can! especially in spots like the swamp.

i knew ppl were gonna hate the walk speed since i saw the first teaser haha. they tried to make it the same speed as the OG version but it just feels slow as hell since the whole overworld is visible instead of going screen-by-screen.

Last edited by dragnipur, Sep 19, 2019
  5. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    How about you, I dunno - get far enough to obtain the Pegasus Boots? From what I've seen, this game is literally frame-for-frame the same input-wise as the original Link's Awakening. If you find it too slow then play a faster-paced game. This does not need a "fix".

6. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    I have the pegasus Boots lol

That doesnt change the fact that Links walking speed SEEMS to be slower than any other old school LoZ game......he could literally be walking the same speed as the original game, but like I said it just FEELS like its slower for some reason.

7. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Yes, but they arent affecting gameplay very much.

8. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    In this video, the guy suggests that frame rate drops are caused by a CPU bottleneck when moving between areas. Maybe overclocking the CPU will reduce the length of frame rate drops. The game uses a dynamic resolution; I think it’s best to use a 30FPS cap and overclock the GPU to raise the average resolution.

Link moves slowly and can only move in 8 directions. D-pad movement is not supported. Another case of a remake being too faithful to the original game. The team should have taken a few pointers from A Link Between Worlds.

A flawed masterpiece.

Last edited by leafeon34, Sep 19, 2019
    Benja81 and burial like this.
  9. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Ok, so I locked to 30 FPS with IPS patch, but it looks like when game is not bottlenecked, it slows down twice.
    So the best way for now to get 30 FPS as frequently as you can get you can underlock GPU to 230 MHz for handheld (I don't know if this is enough for swamps). It stays 30 FPS in outside, but inside building is jumping between 30-60 FPS. 153 is too low for getting 30 FPS outside, 307 is jumping between 30-60 FPS more frequently outside.

Last edited by masagrator, Sep 20, 2019
    ShadowOne333 likes this.
  10. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Just got the sword right now and like DF said in the video, it occurs between areas or entering/exiting a door. A patch could make it a locked 60fps experience or maybe make it triple buffered....I rather play it like this than a 30fps lock, that seems wrong for a 2D style Zelda.

11. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Do you have a sys-clk config for this game that you can share for others?
    Also, what IPS did you get?

12. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    You know nintendo didn't design or manufacture the cpu/gpu used in the switch and all they know is what nvidia told them right?

13. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I heard its hardware limitations causing performance issues.

14. SuperHans111

SuperHans111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    Australia
    He needs to move like Scout from TF2. Only then will it be fun.

15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    mainly on the switch lite

16. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    walking speed doesn't bother me i'm used to him walking slow in the other 2d games. you must have never played alttp or the other 2d zeldas?

17. luan43

luan43 GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2010
    imagine buying a 60 dollar 6 hour first party game that has this huge performance flaw.

18. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Although this game is very enjoyable. I'm really concerned that Nintendo have released a flagship game with performance issues. They should of delayed this instead of rushing its release. Imagine what Luigi Mansion 3 going to be like.

falcorr likes this.
  19. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    I don' t understand, other developers launch broken games and people just expect it (Bethesda anyone?) but Nintendo has to make rock solid 60fps games? Maybe they should cap it at 30 or had it delayed a bit for a solid FPS but fact of the matter is that' s not unplayable.

Don' t have to imagine, I already have 3 instruments and enjoying the game.

20. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    It wasn’t developed internally by Nintendo but by Grezzo. Still strange they gave green light in its state.

@masagrator what under clock settings do you recommend to it run at stable 30fps?

Last edited by cucholix, Sep 24, 2019
    falcorr likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted