Discussion A way to lock Link´s Awakening to 30fps

Lusterknight Sep 17, 2019.

1. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    maybe they leaked it on purpose with this flaw so they can laugh at pirates :P

Syynx likes this.
  2. Syynx

Syynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2018
    United States
    Yeah that sounds right

Bladexdsl likes this.
  3. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Digital Foundry said that the latest build was way better. I think that the leaked version just doesn't have the latest build/patch. We'll see this Friday but still I think this thread is exaggerating.

Syynx and KiiWii like this.
  4. dragnipur

dragnipur Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2017
    United States
    they said it was better than the e3 build but that it still drops enough to be pretty noticeable.

yadspi likes this.
  5. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    No, Its not an exaggeration. It really is that bad. Try it yourself before making out we are talking crap.
    Even grid runs smoother than this. TBH Its piss poor that it runs this bad.

6. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    deff something fishy going on here why would a nintendo game they created on their console which they made, designed and knows everything about it run so badly?

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Sep 18, 2019
  7. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    It does. It's freaking terrible at some places. I don't get how a game like Astral Chain can run so good with a ton of fighting while this game run like horseshit at some places. Always when you exit a house our dungeon it just tanks for a couple of seconds.

EDIT: Also said leaks are from a cart, an XCI. So I doubt it's a "patch" that is different.

8. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    Yep, but for some reason he seems slower now....maybe its the 3d graphics or bigger screen or idk....

9. Kirby567fan

Kirby567fan GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2018
    Morocco
    Its because of the smooth scrolling instead of screen by screen.

10. kurbonhart

kurbonhart Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2016
    I've tried underclocking it with sys-clk (only docked_gpu=384 and handheld_gpu=230) and the game stays at 30fps and at least there aren't those abrupt fps changes. I'm playing it like this until a patch comes out.

Last edited by kurbonhart, Sep 18, 2019
    dragnipur likes this.
  11. masagrator

masagrator Hiatus

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    So from what I checked in code it looks like it has two places for locking FPS (one fixed value, one variable value).
    I will wait until release. If it still will be hard to maintain 60 FPS, I can share 30 FPS lock. Ofc if it would not slow down gameplay.

falcorr, angelhp, orangpelupa and 2 others like this.
  12. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    Could it be that blur effect that is taxing on the hardware?
    If disabling that effect would bring the FPS up to a stable 60fps then I would love to see a patch or cheat to disable it.
    It doesn't look that nice anyway...

falcorr likes this.
  13. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    I hope so....

Im primarily a handheld and PC gamer cause on PC you can simply disable motion blur and on handheld it isnt common. I really wish console/handheld games had options to disable certain visual effects.

14. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i find it hilarious that a nintendo made game isn't working properly on their own hardware! :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Sep 18, 2019
  15. [Truth]

[Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2006
    Germany
    Mushroom Kingdom
    The slowdowns are really jarring for a Nintendo game.
    It even slows down, when it zooms in when reading signs or talking to NPCs.
    Ist's not motion blur, it's tilt-shift to create that toylike effect.
    But I agree, that it doesn't look that good in this case.

Last edited by [Truth], Sep 18, 2019
  16. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    I meant the thread asking for a lock 30fps so soon before the official release, that' s why I said "we'll see this Friday". I can' t test it because my hacked switch broke and couldn't find a new hackable one (and it seems nobody is working o iPatched or the new Red Box one) and just have the game preloaded for the moment.

andyhappypants likes this.
  17. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Technically, it's not tilt-shift since that refers exclusively to optical lenses. The term here would be "vignette" or "radial edge blur".

There was also nothing wrong with his statement since it was pointing at a general lack of configurable graphics options, motion blur being his example.

Still, given the track record of early leaks, leaking it themselves with a deliberately inferior build and tracking users who install it or something would actually be a really smart idea. Make pirates bitch, annoy the redump people, and figure out what accounts they need to ban. It'd be clever. That said, I'm betting there's a day one update they'll put up and obviously none of you have it. How about waiting patiently like the rest of us?

Last edited by chaoskagami, Sep 18, 2019
  18. kurbonhart

kurbonhart Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2016
    it would be funny if Nintendo did that but the reality is that today in Spain (i dont know other countrys) some stores released physical copies and i have one and it have fps problems too.

Last edited by kurbonhart, Sep 18, 2019
  19. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I can see ninety getting a lot of complaints regarding the FPS once reviews start coming out. I've also noticed the screen tearing in places when young Link is running.

20. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    lol did they fire their beta testers or something? :P

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted