A way to get on to any site at school

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by zackfiles, Oct 7, 2008.

Oct 7, 2008
  1. zackfiles
    OP

Newcomer zackfiles Advanced Member

Canada
    So, yeah. I have pretty much nothing to do during my computer classes... the reason being is that the teacher leaves every couple of minuites and is gone for over half an hour. But please don't tell me " you shouldn't be surfing at school, you should be doing blah blah blah and using proxies could get you expelled etc. " cause I get that alot... So anyway, a WORKING proxy could be useful, unless there's like, some special technique everyone uses. Thanks.

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Try using Firefox Portable, it worked at my high school. (apparently their content filtering system is tied to IE)

3. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    If you can't install software, you can try:

https://proxify.com/

I think it can even get around China's firewall.

4. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
  5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    meh, I know how you feel, I had the same problem when I was at school (at university now, heh), stupid incompetent high school computing teachers.

anyway, another option would be to install a VNC program like realVNC on your home computer, this actually allows you to use your home computer remotely, any of your programs etc (if you have seen ads for "gotomypc" et al its practically identical). you just have to find your home IP address and leave your computer on, when you get to school just type in your home IP address and the java client will take over. if you have a dynamic IP they can't block you, and because it just sends the contents of your home computers "screen" to the computer you are on any traffic monitoring software they use will be useless.

6. Tenkaichi

Member Tenkaichi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wow, really? (makes one wonder what... other things were.)

But in any case, the circumventor is safe to use, essentially?

I read the page, but I got the part in the note where it says 'other people will be surfing the web through your machine' but will not have access to files etc.

7. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    It is relatively safe, the URL will be your IP address, unless you give it out nobody else will know it.

8. SpongeFreak52

Member SpongeFreak52 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Heck, there are plenty of proxies out there that can bypass MOST filters schools and businesses tend to use (such as SurfControl). Some filters are only configured for IE as well, which is why I had FireFox on my flash drive back in the day. [​IMG]

However, some enterprise filters (which some schools have I hear) actually detect the "pattern://" function that all proxies use, blocking ANY sort of proxy altogether. Those are practically impenetrable unless you know what you're doing. [​IMG]

If you want a GUARANTEED way to get around a filter, you need to either have a custom proxy script which doesn't use a pattern method, or simply tether a 3G phone to the computer. I do this with my iPhone sometimes, and can hit around 200kbps, and it doesn't even appear on the school's radar! *evil laugh*

9. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I use an ssh tunnel to my DD-WRT router.

But it stopped working for the computers at my school, because they blocked the ssh port, I can only do this with the WiFi now. [​IMG]

10. knilsilooc

Member knilsilooc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    UltraSurf is awesome, I first used it over a year ago and they haven't been able to block it yet. Unfortunately, it might get detected as a virus now... You could also try the FreedomStick. I haven't tried this one personally, but it should work well.