a warning for all "white" ds lite users

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by s1r1u5, Jul 4, 2006.

Jul 4, 2006
  1. s1r1u5
    OP

Newcomer s1r1u5 Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Hi there, everybody
    Well... i would like to warn you of something that hapened with my lovely white ds lite that got me into some high level of frutration... so i feel like i must also warn you about this one in case it happens. (im not responsible for anything as this is not even intended to be a tutorial, as its only my story and the solution i decided to try, so if something similar happens to your white ds lite you are free to think for yourself before trying anything you read on some post like this one [​IMG] )

When you open your white ds lite to play you have two plastic layers on it right?
    I mean the interior white one and the exterior transparent one...
    I dont know how, (always been extra carefull with my gadgets really!! [​IMG] ) but i got some dirt that was visible between the plastic transparent part and the inside part in the upper zone edge, in the direction of the volume slider so i did not know how it got there, but i tried to remove it with some very thin object that painters use to paint, (sorry for my english but i forgot this one) but i couldnt reach it (even if it was in the upper part ) so i thought ...
    ummm... nay!!! i'm not going to take apart my brand new ds lite so... i have only the option of live with it ... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    but to be honest i couldnt stand looking to that dirty spec of dust between the 2 plastic layers so i started thinking in some kind of tool thin enough to insert to the layers allow me removing that annoying dust ... [​IMG]
    So i really have to confess, that first i thought in lots of different tools to do that job, but i hesitated since they could harm my ds lite plastic layers [​IMG] so i decided after some thinking to try some thin white paper sheet (must be white to avoid ink painting the white plastic layer)inserted between those layers and with some time and patience (using a small piece of the paper sheet i succeded to remove that spec of dirt. [​IMG]
    Now for the conclusions...
    For some obvious reason the removal was only possible with this method because the spec of dirty dust was in the upper side were it was still possible to reach with the paper sheet (i mean those places between the edges of the plastic ...
    Obviously it also can happen in the edges of the plastic layers of the upper part of the system also, so i do now some regular check on both, because if by misfortune again, and even with extra care some dirt goes down and more deep between them im fried and i cant remove it with this silly tool (neither with anything since the plastic junctions become really tight )
    i think from what i saw that black ds lites dont have two layers of plastic so this only applies to the white one obviously.
    Design fault or not, i still love my "lite whity" and i wouldnt exchange for a black but i have to recognise that the black ones are better built since there´s only one plastic layer...
    thank you very much for reading this and if you think it might be usefull please dont try nothing with your ds lite if you don´t have a problem (like trying to introduce already the thin paper sheet to see if it fits and stuff like that [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] )
    Again if you come to think this might be usefull try this at you own risk.
    So avoid playing in dirty or dusty environments and grab a good case and enjoy your system. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    over and out ................................................................................

2. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    yes, i just realized that when playing ac:ww on my white lite yesterday ... but luckily the dust wasn't stuck in there so i could blew it out (it was just about to slip inside [​IMG] )

anyways, this is not only a problem with a white ds lite as all of the lites do have these two plastic surroundings and everything could possibly enter between them if it's just small enough - so, take care of your precious! [​IMG]

3. s1r1u5
    OP

Featured Posts:
    well i didnt know that all ds lites were double plastic so this means we should be aware of any spec or dust signs, so it suits also for black users i guess...
    well quoting on "depeche mode" with the "precious" song...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] " Precious and fragile things...
    need special handling ...
    my god what dust have done to yooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! [​IMG]

4. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    How many more "flaws" with the DSL are we going to spot? [​IMG] Thanks for the warning, though!

5. Kosmo

Member Kosmo GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    The Topic is very funny. I am a "white" ds lite user.

6. s1r1u5
    OP

Featured Posts:
    ok but i can live with these as i dont have (yet and i hope it´s forever) the moving or clicking bottom screen, dead pixels, faulty shouder buttons and stuff like that but i mean...
    we in europe have to pay 150 euros for a system that should be verified as these flaws are not totally acceptable in my consumer point of view.
    I think nintendo will have to deal with us on a case by case because it´s not our fault the system goes to sale like this [​IMG]
    Well until now this is the only flaw that really annoyed me but if i find any other my 2 year warrant period will do for something. [​IMG]

7. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    maybe there's something you can use to seal the openings so no more dust will get inside...maybe some clear nail polish?

8. leoedin

Member leoedin GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    or...get a black one [​IMG]

good warning though

9. s1r1u5
    OP

Featured Posts:
    i dont see how you can seal the openings without interfering with the plastic and i cant imagine myself doing something to it , [​IMG]
    The only solution i think that might be provided by some "flaw oportunist" hardware acessories manufaturer is some sort of "transparent or coloured skins" wich i also think its crap.
    this is silly (we nowadays have to buy the system and have to buy a lot of crap to protect the system we bought as new) do they agree something (nintendo, xbox, playstation) with acessories manufaturers ???
    I think they must laugh so much in our faces... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :'( [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    See, Nintendo plans to release new interchangeable shells for the DSL just like mobile phones soon. Then you can change colours. That's what the plastic surrounding outside is for [​IMG]

11. s1r1u5
    OP

Featured Posts:
    really ? were did you get that info X comp???

12. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Featured Posts:
    Croatia
    Wouldn't surprise me in the least. GBMicro already has this.
    The entire America will hurry and buy a black shell, once it comes out.

I remember a similar problem with dust getting between the touch screen and the protective plastic on PDAs. One guy suggested fishing for the dust particle with a cat's whisker (no longer attached to a cat). This worked perfectly, but it required time, patience, precision, and a cat, and most people lacked one or more of those prerequisites [​IMG]

13. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

14. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Featured Posts:
    Netherlands
    They only thing I laughed about was you mentioning a "plastic lawyer" [​IMG]

15. Veho

Featured Posts:
    Croatia
    It keeps the crud from sticking to the lawyer [​IMG]

All the dirt just slides off [​IMG]

(Because noone likes a dirty lawyer [​IMG] )

(Next: plastic cops! [​IMG] )

16. s1r1u5
    OP

Featured Posts:
    yup [​IMG] [​IMG] i edited the post but you know...
    when i saw that i also laughed a lot (imagine that) [​IMG]

17. s1r1u5
    OP

Featured Posts:
    You guys are always late !!!
    [​IMG] didn´t you ever heard of nintendo ds lite plastic lawyer edition???
    [​IMG] i guess im the real concept maker so maybe i'll discuss some business with nintendo...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Veho

Featured Posts:
    Croatia
    Of course we heard of it!
    It has a Phoenix Wright action figure with each purchase!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. s1r1u5
    OP

Featured Posts:
    huh !!! [​IMG] hey veho...
    shhhhh....
    Speak no more ... speak no more... [​IMG]
    We need to talk to nintendo
    a new ds WILL RISE!!!

IT WILL BE THE INFAMOUS DS "WRIGHT"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. s1r1u5
    OP

Featured Posts:
    well i will continue reading and hopefully discussing my post in a half an hour time because im going home now to check the "plastic lawyer of my ds"