A Very Elaborate Game Boy Color

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by machinoman, Oct 2, 2018.

1. machinoman
    OP

machinoman GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2011
    United States
    So I came upon a GB Bridge, a Flash2Advance card, its USB, as well as some other Visoly devices as I mentioned in another thread. I thought it would be a good chance to get some rare collectibles but also a way to play Game Boy Color games on my Game Boy Player without having to order an EverDrive. To my dismay, when they arrived I found that the gap in the GB Bridge, while wide enough to accommodate the pack panel of a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and Game Boy Advance SP, was unfortunately not wide enough to fit around the bottom of a Game Boy Player. I considered modifying the GB Bridge or Game Boy Player, but then came up with the idea of using a GameShark as an adapter instead. I ordered one online and it arrived today. It worked!

I present to you my VEGBC (Very Elaborate Game Boy Color) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by machinoman, Oct 2, 2018
    hippy dave and kikongokiller like this.
  2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The hell is that monster in the middle of the desk?

3. machinoman
    OP

machinoman GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2011
    United States
    Ah that's an OSSC sitting on top of an HDMI switch of the same size. For some reason the OSSC won't recognize a signal coming directly from my GCHD, but with that switch in the middle it works wonderfully. The OSSC takes the 240p signal and makes it 720p, so I can see those advanced Game Boy graphics with crystal clarity.

Jayro and zfreeman like this.
  4. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    That's unusual because I just double checked and my GB Bridge fits perfectly in my GB Player. Perhaps yours is a later/newer model? Based on the SD Gecko, I presume you're using GBI. Are you using the built-in flashing software or using Pogobridge? I really like the setup, although personally I prefer a Gamecube controller.

5. machinoman
    OP

machinoman GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2011
    United States
    I don't know, that's weird. I just tried it again and it won't quite fit for me. Its a DOL 017, and the GB Bridge doesn't quite fit even with no card and some light bending, although I am hesitant to push it too far.
    I'm using your unofficial Pogoshell by the way. Well done. I like it much better than the default and it goes perfectly with FAS1 on the DS for when I don't feel like breaking out the USB which I keep wrapped up in its plastic container.

[​IMG]

Edit: Oops. I tried it again again and it does fit, quite snugly. Oh well, lol. I'll find some use for this thing yet.

Last edited by machinoman, Oct 2, 2018
  6. machinoman
    OP

machinoman GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2011
    United States
    I updated my setup a bit and I am very happy with the results. I switched out the GCVideo solution in favor of RGB SCART, and had to get a PAL Gamecube to make that work. Extrems had apparently added an option for 360p, which is better than the 240p limitation of the GCVideo DVI solutions. Long story short, using a SCART cable, a modified OSSC firmware, and a picture mode on my TV called "TheaterWide 3", I am able to get a fullscreen (at least vertically) picture for Game Boy Color games.

[​IMG]

It is also kind of nice that for the SCART version I don't have to mess with the settings in OSSC at all. Now I am going to force myself to play some games and stop being so picky about the image quality because I have crawled far enough down the rabbit hole at this point. I think I might play that Pokemon Crystal Clear thing thats apparently pretty legit.

Last edited by machinoman, Oct 18, 2018
    hippy dave likes this.