A variety of questions...

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by KOman, May 25, 2010.

May 25, 2010

A variety of questions... by KOman at 3:37 PM (1,340 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. KOman
    OP

Newcomer KOman Advanced Member

United States
    So, I finally got my flash card set up and was trying out all the emulators yesterday and had a few questions:

1. For nesds: Is there any way to scale everything (including the sprites)? It appears that the backgrounds are scaled but the sprites aren't and for games like SMB3, the sprites look funky (the middle 1/3 of mario's face is missing). I ask because it was my understanding that nesds was a port of pocketnes for the GBA and pocketnes definately had the option to turn sprite scaling on.

2. For neods: When opening the emulator file, the top screen turns white and bottom screen turns black and it just freezes that way. I already converted all the roms to neo format...

3. For snemulds: The emulator opens, but at the rom select screen, there are no roms to select!

4. For all emulators, when browsing for roms to play, for every actual rom file, there is a file with a period followed by an underscore and then the name of the rom. Is there anyway to prevent these files from showing up when browsing for a rom to load - it makes going browsing a ton of roms even more difficult...

5. For all emulators, is there a was to exit the emulator back to the OS or is the only way to actually power off/ reset the system?

Sorry for all the nub questions,

2. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    1. Yes, there is. It's somewhere on the main menu.

2. I don't know, I don't use that emu. [​IMG]

3. Did you put the ROMs in the correct folder?

4. I don't know what you mean. Could you clarify?

5. Use soft-reset.

3. KOman
    OP

United States
    For example, this is what it might look like when I open my rom folder through the emulator:

._Bubble bobble.nes
    ._Super mario bros.nes
    ._Tetris.nes
    ._Zelda.nes
    Bubble bobble.nes
    Super mario bros.nes
    Tetris.nes
    Zelda.nes

But only the files without the "._" preceeding the file name are true roms.

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Do those files show up when you put your microSD in the computer? (make sure to enable viewing hidden files)

5. KOman
    OP

United States
    Hmm, for some reason my mac added these hidden files in - I'll delete them...

6. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    On *nix-based operating systems, a . before a file name indicates a hidden file - they are not visible on his computer. This actually happens quite a bit on macs, for example, if you have ever seen a folder with something you downloaded labelled ._MACOSX or something to that regard. Just know it was his computer, not him [​IMG]!

7. KOman
    OP

United States
    Maybe this is what I am doing wrong - do the snes roms have to be in the root of the card in a folder names SNES to work? Is it possible to put them anywhere?

8. KOman
    OP

United States
    also, does the config and emulator file need to be somewhere specific?

9. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Config must be in the root. The ROMs must go in the SNES folder in the root. The actual Emulator can go anywhere though.

10. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Actually, with the latest version of SNEmulDS (linked to in my topic) you don't have to put the ROMs in the SNES folder since the emulator has file browsing support.

11. KOman
    OP

United States
    Still cannot get the SNES emulator to work. I put the config file in the root of my flash card as well as the emulator. My roms are in a different folder. I open the emulator and can get to the select rom screen, but except for the words "Select ROM" and a button on the bottom (that says OK), the entire screen is black. When I press A or tap on the OK button some words appear on the screen and the emulator freezes. This is extremely frustrating...

I can't get the damn Neo-DS emulator working either. I managed to successfully convert the mame roms to .neo format using the universe bios (-bios8) and put them in the root of my card. I also put the emulator in the root of my card and when I try to open it, the top screen turns white and the bottom screen turns black and nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated...

I am using a supercard dsonei with the old (moonshell-like) OS if that helps...

12. KOman
    OP

United States
    Also, I am using SnemulDS version 0.6...

13. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    Make sure the folder holding the SNES roms is actually called "SNES".

14. KOman
    OP

United States
    So, I moved the roms to a folder named SNES in the root and it finally worked! I guess the readme was wrong in saying that the roms could be placed anywhere. It's a little disappointing that mario kart, super mario rpg, yoshi's island, and starfox don't work, but at least smw, DKC, and chrono trigger look OK. At least I finally got it working! Still no luck with neods though...

Also, I was fiddling around with nesds and whenever I choose a rom and then try to change it by touching the LoadRom option, the emu freezes and I need to restart. Anyone else have this problem?