Hacking A System Menu 1.0 look-alike

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xfcrowman said:
...when you do a connection test it does not finish, whereas I did not have this problem with the 4.3 menu....

I believe since 2.0 used IOS11 (and v33 used IOS9 btw), and there was something about "Wifi Compatibility update" in 2.2 or 3.0 update, I believe using an IOS that has the connection fixes with that old menu base will not work, which is one example of why sysmenu IOS's accompany a new sysmenu most updates...just a guess.

I'm not even sure the those old sub-28 IOS's will function exactly as they should in SNEEK either, but I wouldn't really know. they're a bit different from all those 28+ IOSs, in number and assortment of modules.

I think a similar (but reversed) example would be: trying to use the SD Menu to load a VC title on 4.1, whilst running that menu off of IOS20/30/50. It's the little differences/missing parts in IOS that will make system menu functions not work as expected.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killplaystation said:
the idea of "emulating" or "pretending" an older system menu that has nothing except for less features and usability is asinine. Anyone that ever showed interest in it is an idiot, as are you for putting any thought or effort into something soo pointlessly useless.
A successful fail, at best
XFD wow. This post represents a lot of what's wrong with this scene.

MLRX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killplaystation said:
the idea of "emulating" or "pretending" an older system menu that has nothing except for less features and usability is asinine. Anyone that ever showed interest in it is an idiot, as are you for putting any thought or effort into something soo pointlessly useless.
And I bet all you do all day is pirate games and when someone says "hey *homebrew app/game* came out" you say WTF is a homebrew?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xfcrowman said:
Kyno said:
What is the interest of a System menu 1.0?
It's the only system menu not available on NUS, and only a few folks out there have an actual copy. The only reasons for running this on SNEEK is for nostalgia or curiosity. Techboy, myself, and several others would love to get an actual copy of 1.0, but so far we have had no luck.

@techboy - I tested the newest version again on my real NAND and nearly everything seemed to work. One thing I did notice is that if you go to the internet settings you need to re-enter the information about your wireless network. I guess system menu 2.0 stored that information differently than newer versions of the system menu?

Also, when you do a connection test it does not finish, whereas I did not have this problem with the 4.3 menu. I didn't get much time to mess around with the newest version, so hopefully tonight I will try this out some more and report back what I find.

Thanks again for releasing this project!
Just out of curiosity, how would you even get a copy of the WAD for SM1.0 even if you had a Wii that ran it?

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gordinio said:
Just out of curiosity, how would you even get a copy of the WAD for SM1.0 even if you had a Wii that ran it?

I think that the nand from a wii with system menu 1.0 can be dumped using an infectus (or possibly bootmii), and then the system menu contents of that NAND dump can be packed into a .wad.

I guess that some of the exploits (e.g. twilight hack, bannerbomb, etc) will run on a launch-day wii with 1.0 so that bootmii can be installed and a NAND backup can be obtained (see this thread).

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xfcrowman said:
Gordinio said:

I think that the nand from a wii with system menu 1.0 can be dumped using an infectus (or possibly bootmii), and then the system menu contents of that NAND dump can be packed into a .wad.

I guess that some of the exploits (e.g. twilight hack, bannerbomb, etc) will run on a launch-day wii with 1.0 so that bootmii can be installed and a NAND backup can be obtained (see this thread).
How? IIRC, Bannerbomb requires some newer SM to run, and you can't use the game exploits because of their updates. That leaves only the Infectus method.

techboy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xfcrowman said:
Kyno said:
What is the interest of a System menu 1.0?
It's the only system menu not available on NUS, and only a few folks out there have an actual copy. The only reasons for running this on SNEEK is for nostalgia or curiosity. Techboy, myself, and several others would love to get an actual copy of 1.0, but so far we have had no luck.

@techboy - I tested the newest version again on my real NAND and nearly everything seemed to work. One thing I did notice is that if you go to the internet settings you need to re-enter the information about your wireless network. I guess system menu 2.0 stored that information differently than newer versions of the system menu?

Also, when you do a connection test it does not finish, whereas I did not have this problem with the 4.3 menu. I didn't get much time to mess around with the newest version, so hopefully tonight I will try this out some more and report back what I find.

Thanks again for releasing this project!

Glad to see Beta6 works. Like you said, the lost wireless settings are likely due to some sort of incompatibility between 2.0 and the newer menus. I never noticed it because I didn't set up the wi-fi until after I installed the look-alike. Sadly, it's also something I can't fix.

As for the connection test's failure to finish, that is likely caused by the old IOS9...if you try on SNEEK it probably will work fine since it's using IOS70.

Wiibrew claims bannerbomb v1 works on anything (until Nintendo fixed it in later menus)
Won't work on 1.0, there's no SD support. That also eliminates Indiana Pwns and TP Hack since you can't copy them to the wii. The few WADs of 1.0 in existence were almost certainly made with an infectus.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@techboy...

or a launch wii, with a chip, and a fakesigned homebrew disc.

mustn't forget about 'ole trucha...
the trick would be, the homebrew app would have to have run off of IOS4 or IOS9...so I doubt it was done this way ;-)

techboy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Forgot about that ancient method...

As for running it in IOS4 or IOS9, like you said, this alone made it unlikely.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever discovered the official use for IOS4?

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MLRX said:
killplaystation said:
And I bet all you do all day is pirate games and when someone says "hey *homebrew app/game* came out" you say WTF is a homebrew?
nope, not really
lecture.gif

Homebrews all the wii is good for, And even the best hombrew apps, like WiiMC, are buggy as hell with a "house of cards" GUI that is barely hanging in there. But what are you gonna do. Just go outside I guess

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Also ,I seemed to have found the legit SM1.0, which failed to load on my emulator(the rest worked just fine)
The file structure of the SM1.0 is way different than that of ver 4.3U
BTW, judging from my research from the iplsettings.ash(which was still a real lz77 compressed file)
SM1.0 may NOT be a All-region System Menu.
Probably NTSC-U only ,for the system settings only contained text folders ENG,FRA and SPA.
Btw,SM2.0 also has a similar structure to 4.3u
So is it that SM1.0 is an odd ball? Or is it a dump from a development kit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: