A suggestion to rid the dupe threads

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Hadrian, Jul 10, 2008.

Jul 10, 2008
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    As you know there are a lot of dupes threads of the same stuff that someone else has posted, hell even I in my tired state have done the odd one recently so I was wondering what could be done about it? Ok its not a massive problem but I think that it would help keep the forums clean and maybe help those out who keep posting "what is teh best ds racer?" all the time. I know there is a search button but nobody hardly uses it.

My suggestion is basically the same as what happens on Digg. There when you post something you then get a page of results for you to check to see if the info you have posted, has already been posted or not and then you tick a box to say whether or not what you are posting is fresh.

Of course no biggy if it can't be done here or you don't want it to be done, just thought it would help for the reasons in the first paragraph.

I still love you regardless.

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    nice avatar lol

yes this is completely on topic

3. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

well this makes sense...
    but we have a lot on our to-do list right now so you'll have to be very patient [​IMG]

4. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    *dares to ask*

What's the things to do list? [​IMG]

5. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    I think that so far there is:

No autoresizing images/autoadjust according to screen size
    Maybe new emotes?
    I would like to a shoutbox that is always open, no matter where on GBAtemp you are and that also auto refreshes.
    Cut the IRC issues, only PM admins and stuff. \

That's off the top of my head, there may be more I missed. >_>

6. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    That would have to use the regular forum search engine, which I guess was dumped because it used too many server resources.....your idea would probably have to use it, but it would be used for every new thread not just a couple of random searches.

7. itsRANDELL

Member itsRANDELL GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe to make the confirm button unclickable after clicking it once. This is how MySpace got rid of the double commenting problem thingy.

8. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Well if I see a dupe thread, I close it and link to the one in question. The thing is honestly, I don't really know when a thread has been made or not. I don't have the greatest memory in the world for certain threads, and, there's no way to beat around the bush about it, the search here is horrible.

9. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    there's a vBulletin mod that does something like this so you can probably find an IPB mod to do the same thing