NULL

A Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic movie is supposedly being written

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 24, 2019.

Front-page
    header (2).

A "report" from three insider sources claim that a Star Wars movie is currently in the works, based on Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic RPG. The source, Buzzfeed News, states that Laeta Kalogridis (Producer for Avatar, screenwriter for Alita: Battle Angel and Shutter Island) would be penning the script, which is "close to being finished". While some may view the origin of the report as dubious, Lucasfilm's president, Kathleen Kennedy, had previously mentioned in April that "[Lucasfilm] are developing something to look at, but right now, I have no idea where things might fall" in regards to adapting KOTOR into a film. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was released back in 2003, and is considered as one of the most beloved entries within the Star Wars video game franchise. While this isn't a confirmation, nor do we even know if this supposed script will get picked up, it appears that there might be the beginnings of something for Star Wars fans to look forward to.

:arrow: Source

Zense, lordelan and Xzi like this.
    Discussion (23 replies)
  1. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Could make a good movie if done right and they generally stick to the original story line, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for that yet.

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    mrw:

Oh God those jokers Benioff and Weiss are writing it aren't they, oh God it's going to suck :cry:

Oh thank God.

Now make it happen, Disney :angry:

Leafgreen26 and sarkwalvein like this.
  3. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    The problem is though that ever since the Clone Wars cartoon series, and especially since Disney bought Star Wars, the official cannon has been a mess. If Star Wars was going to remain legendary, things like this needed to be done years ago, preferably before the prequels botched up the existing story line.

On the other hand if they began to release games and movies under the "Legends" title, then they would be free to contradict their newly established contradictions and poor writing.

Last edited by XDel, May 24, 2019
  4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    great yet another shitty star wars movie by di$ney

weatMod likes this.
  5. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Oh wow... how will they turn this immortal classic into an incursion to SJW hell? Can barely wait. :toot:

weatMod, ShadowOne333, IHOP and 2 others like this.
  6. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
  7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I wish they would remake the games instead..

weatMod and Subtle Demise like this.
  8. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Someone writing a screenplay is hardly confirmation of a movie being greenlit.

There were scripts for an Obi-wan movie and a Boba Fett movie - both had directors attached, both have been shelved indefinitely.

It's unfair to speculate on Disney's plans, but based on what has been announced, and their "roadmap" of releases, the next 8-10 years will give us Rian Johnsons 'series' of movies and Benioff and Weiss' trilogy(?).

Don't forget, they're also putting a lot of productivity into the upcoming streaming service; for the Star Wars brand we're getting The Mandalorian as well as the long awaited final episodes of the animated Clone Wars show, and an announced Cassian Andor (Rogue One) series. It's equally likely that any scripts in development (outside of RJ's and B&W's) may find a home on Disney+ rather than a theatrical release.

9. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    They can't retell the game's story. They will have to adapt and make a 'gaiden' thing which can bee good or bad, but considering these last two movies, I'll decide to skip it when it releases.

Without George, it's clear they don't understand the source material and just pump out popular run of the mill movies, slowly killing off the original characters in order to take complete control story wise.

And then the movies will be sharing the name but not the mythology going forward.

Yeah. It shall be directed towards new fans who barely know the original movies. Not for us old people.

10. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Made by Disney it will be a shitstorm like every other star wars movie, series done by them. No thanks, everything made by Disney is not my star wars. I'll stick to the canon Disney made Non canon

weatMod, Y0shII and Bladexdsl like this.
  11. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    i want to be excited, but i'm not. Disney will just ruin it anyways to make a new Disney princess like they always do.

weatMod likes this.
  12. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Sigh... Kid, lemme tell you a thing or two about BuzzFeed

weatMod and WAUthethird like this.
  13. Exaltys

Exaltys GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2009
    United States

14. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Speaking of which, I still have to finish Kotor before it leaves XGP next week.

15. Teletron1

Teletron1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    this is supposed to be done by the Game of Thrones people David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

16. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    you know they are gonna fuck up the ending than :creep:

17. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    What Benioff & Weiss are working on is rumoured to be set during the Old Republic time period, but there has never been any talk of a specific movie adaptation of the KOTOR game previously.
    For the record, the Old Republic time period is vast - depending on whether you look at canon or legends data, it could include over 10,000 years prior to the earliest canon material currently in existence.

18. bandithedoge

bandithedoge GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    Oh, please. KotOR is the best Star Wars game series because nobody has touched it yet. I'm keeping my expectations pretty damn low for this.

19. Teletron1

Teletron1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    follow the Revan ;)

NULL