A song with a strong historical message?

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doesn't matter the time period, just need a song that makes references its period of time
example provided by teacher:I was thinking of maybe doing stayin alive by the bee gees because it references the crumbling of society and the push some people made to break through it.
but I'm sure someone here can come up with a better example that isn't too mainstream (trying to do a song that the other 49 kids in class aren't).

humorous songs are a plus

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Pokemon theme song. Gotta catch all the terrorists before they run away or attack us.
ohmy.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKofewfeSoY

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Star Spangled Banner? Most of the child songs like
Ring-a-ring-a-roses,
A pocket full of posies;
ashes! ashes!
we all fall down.

Its actually strange how alot of these child songs reference some of the worst moments in history.

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can always rely on the hippies to deliver historical messages. I'll add more if I think of any.

*edit* You could always use American Pie, it's kinda cliché, but so what?

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GBAtemp Love Song?

It references to Valentine's Day!

But seriously, Rock Around the Clock was a very controversial song at the time it was released because of it's openly sexual content, I think that one would be a really good one to do.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A song that always seems relevant.

1 Tin Soldier

The Lyrics to "One Tin Soldier"

Listen children, to a story, that was written long ago. About a kingdom, on a mountain, and the valley folk below.

On the mountain, was a treasure, buried deep beneath a stone and the valley people swore they'd have it for their very own.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend, do it in the name of Heaven, you can justify it in the end. There wont be any trumpets blowing, come the judgment day. On the bloody morning after, One Tin Soldier rides away.

So the people of the valley, sent a message up the hill, asking for the buried treasure, tons of gold for which they'd kill. Came an answer, from the kingdom, with our brothers, we will share, all the secrets, of our mountain, all the riches buried there.

Now the valley, cried with anger, mount your horses, draw your swords, and they killed the, mountain people. So they won their just rewards. Now they stand, beside the treasure, on the mountain, dark and red. Turned the stone, and looked beneath it... "Peace on earth" was all it said.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend, do it in the name of Heaven, you can justify it in the end. There wont be any trumpets blowing, come the judgment day. On the bloody morning after, One Tin Soldier rides away.

Edit
Well that figures, I thought, gee I might like to hear that old song again. So naturally I thought check out YouTube.
Just butt f**ked a memory from my childhood in the process.
Every activist and his uncle appears to have used this song as a way of commenting on Iraq. Some good some bad.
But in the end, it will never be the same song again I suppose.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some really good songs with important historical context. Definitely lacking in the humor department though:

Biko - Peter Gabriel
Sunday, Bloody Sunday - U2
Hurricane - Bob Dylan

Maybe I'm missing the question though. Are you looking for a song that is the epitome of an era, or a song written about important historical events?

tredes

Trophies
XP
Country

lyrics
QUOTE said:
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
nuff sed

dawn.wan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you want to touch on soul/funk then Curtis mayfield pusher man lol or super fly.. be creative with it and refer to the movies.. would be an interesting read for your TA

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
A search for 'Latin Quarter" would give you "Radio Africa" and "America For Beginners" - both 80's songs. The first one about what was happening in South Africa at the time, the second about the changing attitudes in America during the Reagan administration. You also have "Modern times" by them which is all about the Senator Mcarthy witchunts.

Pink Floyd with pretty much all of the "Final Cut" album as to the Falklands war and Thatcherism.

As to the Billy Joel song - I remember a quote about it which went "A list is not a song".
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM