A song with a strong historical message?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by notnarb, May 14, 2008.

May 14, 2008
  1. notnarb
    OP

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

Doesn't matter the time period, just need a song that makes references its period of time
    example provided by teacher:I was thinking of maybe doing stayin alive by the bee gees because it references the crumbling of society and the push some people made to break through it.
    but I'm sure someone here can come up with a better example that isn't too mainstream (trying to do a song that the other 49 kids in class aren't).

humorous songs are a plus

2. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
  3. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Star Spangled Banner? Most of the child songs like
    Ring-a-ring-a-roses,
    A pocket full of posies;
    ashes! ashes!
    we all fall down.

Its actually strange how alot of these child songs reference some of the worst moments in history.

4. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico

The 60s, crazy times.

5. El-ahrairah

Member El-ahrairah GBAtemp Fan

United States

You can always rely on the hippies to deliver historical messages. I'll add more if I think of any.

*edit* You could always use American Pie, it's kinda cliché, but so what?

6. dawn.wan

Member dawn.wan GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    war pigs to vietnam war

7. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    50 kids o.O ? max over here is 35 [​IMG]

8. ikick9000

Newcomer ikick9000 Member

Canada
    Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden

[​IMG] [​IMG] "White man came, across the sea, he brought us pain...and miseryyy"

9. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    GBAtemp Love Song?

It references to Valentine's Day!

But seriously, Rock Around the Clock was a very controversial song at the time it was released because of it's openly sexual content, I think that one would be a really good one to do.

10. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    A song that always seems relevant.

1 Tin Soldier

The Lyrics to "One Tin Soldier"

Listen children, to a story, that was written long ago. About a kingdom, on a mountain, and the valley folk below.

On the mountain, was a treasure, buried deep beneath a stone and the valley people swore they'd have it for their very own.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend, do it in the name of Heaven, you can justify it in the end. There wont be any trumpets blowing, come the judgment day. On the bloody morning after, One Tin Soldier rides away.

So the people of the valley, sent a message up the hill, asking for the buried treasure, tons of gold for which they'd kill. Came an answer, from the kingdom, with our brothers, we will share, all the secrets, of our mountain, all the riches buried there.

Now the valley, cried with anger, mount your horses, draw your swords, and they killed the, mountain people. So they won their just rewards. Now they stand, beside the treasure, on the mountain, dark and red. Turned the stone, and looked beneath it... "Peace on earth" was all it said.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend, do it in the name of Heaven, you can justify it in the end. There wont be any trumpets blowing, come the judgment day. On the bloody morning after, One Tin Soldier rides away.

Edit
    Well that figures, I thought, gee I might like to hear that old song again. So naturally I thought check out YouTube.
    Just butt f**ked a memory from my childhood in the process.
    Every activist and his uncle appears to have used this song as a way of commenting on Iraq. Some good some bad.
    But in the end, it will never be the same song again I suppose.

11. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    Some really good songs with important historical context. Definitely lacking in the humor department though:

Biko - Peter Gabriel
    Sunday, Bloody Sunday - U2
    Hurricane - Bob Dylan

Maybe I'm missing the question though. Are you looking for a song that is the epitome of an era, or a song written about important historical events?

12. Suranwrap

Newcomer Suranwrap Member

Canada
    My old history teacher always said that "We didnt start the Fire" by Billy Joel will always be relevant.
    He just opened a newspaper and read all the headlines, and those head lines are almost the same as today.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wi2OkMh7FBo&feature=related

13. tredes

Member tredes GBAtemp Regular

Australia

lyrics
    nuff sed

14. dawn.wan

Member dawn.wan GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    if you want to touch on soul/funk then Curtis mayfield pusher man lol or super fly.. be creative with it and refer to the movies.. would be an interesting read for your TA

15. Dack

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    A search for 'Latin Quarter" would give you "Radio Africa" and "America For Beginners" - both 80's songs. The first one about what was happening in South Africa at the time, the second about the changing attitudes in America during the Reagan administration. You also have "Modern times" by them which is all about the Senator Mcarthy witchunts.

Pink Floyd with pretty much all of the "Final Cut" album as to the Falklands war and Thatcherism.

As to the Billy Joel song - I remember a quote about it which went "A list is not a song". [​IMG]