A song that dramatically influenced your life?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Anakir, Apr 29, 2008.

Apr 29, 2008
  1. Anakir
    OP

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Has there ever been a song that influenced you in any way? Or maybe, even changed something? I remember watching television where I happened to flip through a show called "Music is my life." It talks about how music saved people's lives. It helps them calm down and such.

I can probably relate. I'll admit that I was an emo before. It was like.. 5 years ago. I didn't cut myself, but I did constantly hurt myself by doing stupid stuff. Not as bad as cutting your wrist though.. I always rejected everyone's opinions no matter how much they wanted to help me. Now that I look back at it, I smirk knowing that I was so stupid. I love the life I live right now. I'm just so much more optimistic now.

Although the song may not be in English, nor did I know what the song meant, it was recommended to me by a friend. A close friend of mine from the past, all she said was "just listen to this song when you don't have someone to talk to. I tried convincing you, and it's starting to irritate me on how hard I try just to make you happy. You never seem to like anything anymore." I actually remember what she said word for word. The song is Every Heart by BoA. It's quite old. It's a japanese song. When the file finished transferring, I started listening to it. At first, I thought "it's okay" but I slowly grew attached to it. I was interested in the lyrics, so I looked it up. It wasn't something special, but for some reason, not knowing what the singer sang made it sound better. I wanted to learn more about Japanese because of this song, so I started watching anime and reading manga. Eventually, I started thinking less and less about stuff like committing suicide, hurting myself, hating people and such. Yeah.. I actually thought about committing suicide at that point of my life, but it's just a thought 'cause I know myself well enough that I wouldn't have the guts to do it. Although I don't watch anime anymore because I've out grown it, but because of this one song where it changed things for me, I know that music can actually save lives. From this one song, it changed my life quite dramatically.

So, anyone else with a story where there's a particular song that changed them?

2. Jhongerkong

Member Jhongerkong GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Fascination Maxx taught me to give up on things if they're too hard

3. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I wouldn't say any specific songs have changed my life, but there are bands who definitely had a serious impact on me ...

4. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    The Last Poets - Niggers are scared of revolution

Taught me that sometimes your supposed “brothers” hold you down more than the chains of your oppressor.

good topic Btw.

5. tojomajojo

Newcomer tojomajojo Advanced Member

United States
    never gonna give you up by rick astley

just kidding but i'm pretty sure someone was gonna say that

i don't really have a song that influenced my life though

6. Flooded

Banned Flooded Banned

United States
  7. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Same here.. in special, The Beatles, Weezer, U2, The Smiths and a brazilian band called Legião Urbana ("Urban Legion" in english)..

8. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Can it be a band? Then Rhapsody. Well, now they're called Rhapsody of fire.

Anyways, they were the first band that got me into music. My friends listened to all that hip hop crap, while I listened to some awesome power metal. Unfortunately, I've lost interested in them after their latest album.

9. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    The Macarena

10. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    The Band 311 has forever changed my life. I could name 30+ songs and why they will influence me forever just from that one band. I'm not sure I can remember how it all started but I've seen them live 8 times now in 5 states and its been 12 or more years I've been listening to them as my favorite band. They have helped me through every emotion I can think of and have helped me learn life lessons I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise.

Still they aren't the only band...I have the widest and most non-snobby musical tastes of anyone I know from my age group atleast. Folk, Electronic, Classic rock. Classical. Indie, Hip-hop, reggae.
    The key to an open mind is an open ear.

11. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Considering my beliefs, I think it's amusing I think Amazing Grace is perfect. Gotta be on bag pipes though or it doesn't count.

I don't know why I like it so much, as the lyrics don't count, as I only want to listen to the bagpipes version. Then again, I already know the lyrics, and can hear them in my head when I listen to the bagpipes.

12. IainDS

Member IainDS GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not a song but moving away and now hating "emo" music really influenced my life.

13. asher

Member asher ^ Liar

Mexico
    the moon - from the Ducktales Ost.

14. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    I thought BoA was korean :S

Edit: Oh wikipedia has enlightened me, she sings both korean and japanese songs.

15. ScuberSteve

ScuberSteve Newbie

I love Amazing Grace and how flexible it is.
    It can be sad OR happy, all depending on how it's played/sung.

ONTOPIC:
    I don't think a single song has ever changed me.  Entire albums are what get me through the day.
    Yes, I use playlists =X
    The album of the now:
    E=MC2 (Mariah Carey)
    Album of the before:
    The Dynasty Roc la Familia (Jay-Z)

16. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Must...resist..insulting Scuber's terrible musical tastes...oops too late...

Anyway
    I saw Black Sabbath last September and since then I've been really into music...so much so that I went from dreading going to music lessons to considering trying to become a professional musician, all in a few months. And it's all because of that show [​IMG]

17. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Dramatically influenced? None.

Some effect?
    Superheroes - Daft Punk
    Last Regrets (from Kanon 2006 anime)
    Zelda music (lol)
    Porcelain - Moby
    Lift Me Up - Moby
    uhh... does Evolution of Dance count as a song?

18. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    A.S. - Outbreak