A softmodding question here

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SamAsh07, Jun 25, 2010.

Jun 25, 2010
  1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Ok so I got my Wii recently (been a week I guess), and the retailer installed uLoader and asked me to insert backup dvds in the external dvd player that came with the Wii, the Liteon DVD Player.

Everyday I thought of softmodding my Wii, but kept changing my mind because I have no idea whether something has already been altered in the Wii, since it has uLoader channel, and no it doesn't have Homebrew Channel installed and the firmware is 4.2U. So can I just proceed with softmodding without worrying about any casualties? I don't think its softmodded, he said "its not hacked but it can run your games through the external drive"

2. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    If your wii came with uloader I think some sort of homebrew must be at work so I don't think adding basic applications like emulators and/or media players would any harm as long as you don't mess with ioses and other nand stuff.

3. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    So I can proceed on softmodding the Wii?

4. Burton

Puerto Rico
    Of course. Remember your first step is adding hbc and basic applications. Then if for some reason you want to install ioses or cioses be warned that are dangerous is you do not take the proper precautions. There a lot of guides like this tj_cool's guide or Clipper's Guide that will help u a lot.

5. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    Actually I wanted to play WiiWare games by softmodding my Wii and downloading torrents, so will the hbc and basic apps do? or I need to install the ioses and cioses? what does hbc do anyways?

6. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    why would a "Retailer" install uLoader and provide a external DVD drive to play pirated games, he would for one get his license revoked and fined for doing so if he was reported, dont you mean you sent it to a dodgy guy that mods wii's in a back ally lol

7. Burton

Puerto Rico
    For wiiware you can use triiforce or have your ios70 patched which is very dangerous if you don't have the proper brick protection. For backups you can either use uloader with an external dvd drive or external HDD. Read very well the guides so you can learn the basic and principles of homebrew.

8. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    Trust me, here modding stuff is done openly lol, his shop is in a Mall.

9. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Your retailer obviously skipped installing the HBC, or he deleted it after he was done modding. Either way, go through with the guide.

10. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    Oh ok, another quickie, can my uLoader run games from usb? hard drive? and and, I downloaded a Wii iso game ntsc, how can I play it? Can I just burn the iso using imgburn on a dvd-r and play through uLoader?

11. Burton

Puerto Rico
    Yes it can. About the other two questions please read the guide. If I to explain all of it in this thread then you and I would be the whole week flooding the site. btw Uloader has it's own wiki at EOL however is in spanish.

12. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    Haha, guess you're right, I really appreciated your replies, thanks alot, rest I'll cover up in the guides.