Hacking A small thread on how to tell if you got an incomplete downgrade

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should add that Gateway Launcher likely does not work either, as i tried that ontop of the usual CFW rings and bells with no luck on my incomplete downgrade.

I was on 9.8 when my downgrade failed and showed 9.2 even though not everything installed. When i went back to 10.3 and did it again i had no problems, the whole downgrade process completed with "NATIVE_FIRM" installing and the 10 second reboot.
My guess is that the reason the downgrade fails is because the code is unstable. But i can understand that its alot to even get up and running. Atleast it works.

Last edited by jscjml,

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should add that Gateway Launcher likely does not work either, as i tried that ontop of the usual CFW rings and bells with no luck on my incomplete downgrade.

I was on 9.8 when my downgrade failed and showed 9.2 even though not everything installed. When i went back to 10.3 and did it again i had no problems, the whole downgrade process completed with "NATIVE_FIRM" installing and the 10 second reboot.
My guess is that the reason the downgrade fails is because the code is unstable. But i can understand that its alot to even get up and running. Atleast it works.
Added, and yeah it seems going to 10.3 is the key to having the least amt of issues.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for this, will link that in my tutorial. There were a bunch of People with invalid signature Errors and / or having Pasta/any homebrew freeze with black Screens.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It sounds like downgrading from anything lower than 10.3 produces more errors from 10.3 itself. Well at the moment you can just update to 10.3 via official update, I wonder what people will do once 10.4 comes and fixes the downgrade.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this, will link that in my tutorial. There were a bunch of People with invalid signature Errors and / or having Pasta/any homebrew freeze with black Screens.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It sounds like downgrading from anything lower than 10.3 produces more errors from 10.3 itself. Well at the moment you can just update to 10.3 via official update, I wonder what people will do once 10.4 comes and fixes the downgrade.
Umm... You do know the app that can be used to downgrade can also be used to update right? I mean it's kinda in the name sysUpdater

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Umm... You do know the app that can be used to downgrade can also be used to update right? I mean it's kinda in the name sysUpdater
Don't care about it. :D
So when official 10.4 gets out, you would probably update to 10.3 with sysupdater again and then downgrade I suppose. Well at the moment it's all fun and games as you can use recovery and just go to 10.3 official again, but behold of bricks when people not only need sysupdater for downgrade but also for upgrade to 10.3 first. It's going to be interesting once 10.4 comes which can't be far from now.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't care about it. :D
So when official 10.4 gets out, you would probably update to 10.3 with sysupdater again and then downgrade I suppose.
Most likely the issues are caused by the update nag you get, try telling people who experience issues with the downgrade to clear the update nag (there's a tutorial here on GBAtemp somewhere) and try again, I bet this will fix a lot of problems (the update nag can do some weird things when you're attempting to mess with titles)

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll tell you how far: ninty has set a scheduled maintenance next tuesday on WiiU and 3ds. According to the announcement everything will be down for a day. So there you have it.
Also thought of that. Wonder if they're also going to push something for WiiU to get rid of the IOSU exploit.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS version + FW? I had no success at all from 9.9 on N3DS XL. It was only on 10.3 where I got a complete downgrade.

Also, have you tried to install any CFW afterwards, and does it say 9.2 in the menu?
o3DS, that very old Aqua Blue launch system, firmware 10.3

I could never get past the "error has occurred" screen, so the system would never boot after downgrading. Like many others, it's always the same thing, sysupdater installs fine, it's just after rebooting, an error has occurred.

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
o3DS, that very old Aqua Blue launch system, firmware 10.3

I could never get past the "error has occurred" screen, so the system would never boot after downgrading. Like many others, it's always the same thing, sysupdater installs fine, it's just after rebooting, an error has occurred.
Did you downgrade using menuhax? Try turing on your 3ds without SD card.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you downgrade using menuhax? Try turing on your 3ds without SD card.
Menuhax, on a nearly empty, newly formatted SD card. System will not boot even without an SD card inside.

I was wondering, when sysupdater installs the cia's, the filenames would appear in that glitched text before each cia installs, is that normal?

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Menuhax, on a nearly empty, newly formatted SD card. System will not boot even without an SD card inside.

I was wondering, when sysupdater installs the cia's, the filenames would appear in that glitched text before each cia installs, is that normal?
If it fails to boot even without SD then you'd better try safe mode.
I'm not sure what you mean by saying glitched text, but it's true that the text shows up slower on o3ds. I don't think it's glitched text because after a while the filename can be displayed correctly.

Acryt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd get glitched text after running sysupdater, it failing and exiting back to HBL -> running ftpbrony for the "trick" to make sysupdater run better and that's when the text would be glitched.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Just for the record, I did not run ftBrony before sysUpdater and I only pressed Y when the sysUpdater text was not glitchy. It downgraded successfully at first try.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it fails to boot even without SD then you'd better try safe mode.
I'm not sure what you mean by saying glitched text, but it's true that the text shows up slower on o3ds. I don't think it's glitched text because after a while the filename can be displayed correctly.
Safe mode, that's recovery, right? I'm able to update back to 10.3 fine, it's just getting real tiresome doing this over and over again...

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Safe mode, that's recovery, right? I'm able to update back to 10.3 fine, it's just getting real tiresome doing this over and over again...
Good to hear that it's just a softbrick. How many times have you failed to DG? Have you checked the MD5 of cia's after copying them to SD card? Things could go wrong during the coping process.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to hear that it's just a softbrick. How many times have you failed to DG? Have you checked the MD5 of cia's after copying them to SD card? Things could go wrong during the coping process.
failed to downgrade every time, must have been 20 by now. I may try ironhax, maybe that will work.

As for checking the cia's, is there an md5 list for each file? I only checked the md5 and sha on the "9.2.0-20U(Full).zip" file, and it checks out correct.

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
failed to downgrade every time, must have been 20 by now. I may try ironhax, maybe that will work.

As for checking the cia's, is there an md5 list for each file? I only checked the md5 and sha on the "9.2.0-20U(Full).zip" file, and it checks out correct.
If the MD5 of the entire package matches then you can safely assume every single title is safe after you extract them. You can try WinRAR, which will give you CRC32 for each file in the archive. Personally I recommend Teracopy. You can use it to copy files from PC to SD, it will do the check job for you. If DG via menuhax yields exactly same result every time, you'd better try another entry point next time. Also make sure that you used the lastest version of sysUpdater. I also heard that JustPingo's KTM will also be released sometime this weekend, you may try his if it still fails to DG properly. Anyway hope you'll success next time.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the MD5 of the entire package matches then you can safely assume every single title is safe after you extract them. You can try WinRAR, which will give you CRC32 for each file in the archive. Personally I recommend Teracopy. You can use it to copy files from PC to SD, it will do the check job for you. If DG via menuhax yields exactly same result every time, you'd better try another entry point next time. Also make sure that you used the lastest version of sysUpdater. I also heard that JustPingo's KTM will also be released sometime this weekend, you may try his if it still fails to DG properly. Anyway hope you'll success next time.
pardon all the questions, but which one is the latest version of sysupdater? I've got several and they all look different and gave the same result lol....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol