A slot-1 upgrade to the R4

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by SP0RK, Nov 15, 2007.

Nov 15, 2007

A slot-1 upgrade to the R4 by SP0RK at 5:22 AM (949 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. SP0RK
    OP

Newcomer SP0RK Member

United States
    I've had an R4 for quite a while now and use a 1gb microSD with it. I'm always trying new games however and jump from game-to-game very frequently and would like to be able to have a bigger amount of storage to work with. I think I read that it can use up to a 4gb microSD, albeit unstable at times. I read about cycloDS being able to use SDHC which can use much larger storage capacities of 4gb and 8gb. I don't know much about the stability or performance of the card with that type of storage however, and am also wondering if there are any other slot-1 cards I should know about that can offer a good amount of storage. I'm looking at something in the 4gb and 8gb range. I really like the features of the R4 and am not really looking for anything additional beyond what it offers, and am just looking for a card that will have an upgrade in storage.

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    CycloDS Evo
    M3 DS Real

CycloDS Evo is more expensive but probably cleaner/more stable/less bugs
    M3 DS Real has a more complicated GUI (not necessarily a good thing), and is a bit cheaper than the Cyclo. It also supports GBA through an included (if you choose the package) slot 2 expansion.

3. AndreXL

Member AndreXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    What about Acekard R.P.G.?
    I read somewhere here that it's about full compatibility with all games, built in 1GIG, and uses Micro SDHC as well...

4. roadbusta

Member roadbusta GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Acekard RPG is more expensive than the Cyclo and the M3 Real. It also doesn't have some basic functions like soft-reset. "Extras features" like copying and pasting files can already be done with homebrew like DSOrganise.

One good thing about it is that it has in Built NAND flash, which means problematic ROMS (if any) might work better if you play them of the Flash memory instead of the Micro SD memory

5. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Cyclo DS. I sold my R4 and im getting my Cyclo soon. All though yes it is a bit more expensive but i think its defiantly worth the extra cash.

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The Supercard DS is also one that supports microSDHC cards, though you must make sure you get the SDHC version of the hardware. However, note that while it does have several features specific to the cart (like the ability to check a gameFAQs guide in the middle of playing a game), it is a bit more complicated to get working.