Hacking A simple GUI for FunKiiU "FunKii-UI"

ornryactor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one but it has the key site I can't share that I might mod it or whatever with a injector for GC/Wii and maybe N64 since N64 emulation sucks but I'll need a grasp of of python coding and the source code but I'll create a thread and warn people about bugs.

Are you able to share Funkii-UI without sending me that site (like, leaving that spot blank)? It'd be nice to get the tool as-is, without any alterations beyond what the original author wrote, since we know it worked as they originally intended. If you're interested in forking/modding it beyond that, that's awesome and I'd love to check out your work when it's ready, but right now getting a copy of the existing Funkii-UI is the only way I can do anything worthwhile with my WiiU, since I don't have a Windows computer available for USB Helper.

If you or anyone else is willing to share, thank you! Shoot me a PM.

HeroOfTime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you able to share Funkii-UI without sending me that site (like, leaving that spot blank)? It'd be nice to get the tool as-is, without any alterations beyond what the original author wrote, since we know it worked as they originally intended. If you're interested in forking/modding it beyond that, that's awesome and I'd love to check out your work when it's ready, but right now getting a copy of the existing Funkii-UI is the only way I can do anything worthwhile with my WiiU, since I don't have a Windows computer available for USB Helper.

If you or anyone else is willing to share, thank you! Shoot me a PM.

I happen to have a recent snapshot of the FunKii-UI git repo. I, in fact, created this account just so I could get it to you. However, as a new user, I am neither able to PM nor post links. If you're able to PM me with a way of getting it to you, I shall do.

ornryactor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I happen to have a recent snapshot of the FunKii-UI git repo. I, in fact, created this account just so I could get it to you. However, as a new user, I am neither able to PM nor post links. If you're able to PM me with a way of getting it to you, I shall do.

That's really kind of you! Ironically, since I created this account just to post my original question, I too am under those restrictions. I guess we just keep posting until one of us passes that threshold?

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh for god sake
Whats wrong with leaving the code up on github
Somebody can fork it and improve it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can pm you and i can give it to people if you like

HeroOfTime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh for god sake

I can pm you and i can give it to people if you like

Had you responded with civility the first time I may have been inclined to accept your offer. I'll wait, thank you.

HeroOfTime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wasnt talking to you in the first comment
I was just saying whats wrong with leaving the code on github

My point remains valid.

Dojafoja is quite within his rights to take the code down. It's his code. As for his reasons, I respect his right to keep those private. There is the obvious issue of protecting ones identity when producing code that has a purpose of questionable legality. Only he knows whether that formed part of his motivation. However, it's not difficult to think of reasons to have empathy.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My point remains valid.

Dojafoja is quite within his rights to take the code down. It's his code. As for his reasons, I respect his right to keep those private. There is the obvious issue of protecting ones identity when producing code that has a purpose of questionable legality. Only he knows whether that formed part of his motivation. However, it's not difficult to think of reasons to have empathy.
I just don't like it when code gets just taken down abruptly jeez man

HeroOfTime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's really kind of you! Ironically, since I created this account just to post my original question, I too am under those restrictions. I guess we just keep posting until one of us passes that threshold?

I hope I don't get banned for this, but let's try it:

filedropper dot com forward-slash funkii-uitar

Let me know if it works for you.

Reactions: ornryactor

dojafoja

life elevated
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh for god sake

I can understand your position, trust me, but I don't think you should be so quick to be harsh about it. I wasn't going to bother giving any explanation but since I've upset a few users (you're not the only one) let me give a little perspective. I have 3 children: 15, 12, and 3 years old. My role is to always look out for their best interest. When questions are brought up about how software like this is any different than stealing, it puts me in a difficult position to answer those questions without looking like a hypocrite. Sure, I can rationalize, but at the end of the day it's a contradiction to what I preach to them. My 12 year old son is incredibly smart and is very proficient in Python and Lua. He actually designed the logos that you see with Funkii-UI as well. He knows what this program does and it became a very "gray" area that I would just rather avoid entirely, not mention that I generally like to lead by example instead of taking the "do as I say and not as I do" kind of approach. I'm almost 37 years old and I only do these projects for fun and to teach myself more about how to code, maybe you should do the same to expand your skills and write your own application. If anybody would like to continue the project, that's obviously up to them and I wouldn't care at all. I would even help explain the code to anybody who cares. I took it down because it was the right thing to do for me.

P.s. You can catch more flies with a teaspoon of honey than you can with a gallon of vinegar.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can understand your position, trust me, but I don't think you should be so quick to be harsh about it. I wasn't going to bother giving any explanation but since I've upset a few users (you're not the only one) let me give a little perspective. I have 3 children: 15, 12, and 3 years old. My role is to always look out for their best interest. When questions are brought up about how software like this is any different than stealing, it puts me in a difficult position to answer those questions without looking like a hypocrite. Sure, I can rationalize, but at the end of the day it's a contradiction to what I preach to them. My 12 year old son is incredibly smart and is very proficient in Python and Lua. He actually designed the logos that you see with Funkii-UI as well. He knows what this program does and it became a very "gray" area that I would just rather avoid entirely, not mention that I generally like to lead by example instead of taking the "do as I say and not as I do" kind of approach. I'm almost 37 years old and I only do these projects for fun and to teach myself more about how to code, maybe you should do the same to expand your skills and write your own application. If anybody would like to continue the project, that's obviously up to them and I wouldn't care at all. I would even help explain the code to anybody who cares. I took it down because it was the right thing to do for me.

P.s. You can catch more flies with a teaspoon of honey than you can with a gallon of vinegar.
I just got annoyed because i hate it when good open source projects just fly of the map without a proper reason

HeroOfTime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can understand your position, trust me, but I don't think you should be so quick to be harsh about it. I wasn't going to bother giving any explanation but since I've upset a few users (you're not the only one) let me give a little perspective. I have 3 children: 15, 12, and 3 years old. My role is to always look out for their best interest. When questions are brought up about how software like this is any different than stealing, it puts me in a difficult position to answer those questions without looking like a hypocrite. Sure, I can rationalize, but at the end of the day it's a contradiction to what I preach to them. My 12 year old son is incredibly smart and is very proficient in Python and Lua. He actually designed the logos that you see with Funkii-UI as well. He knows what this program does and it became a very "gray" area that I would just rather avoid entirely, not mention that I generally like to lead by example instead of taking the "do as I say and not as I do" kind of approach. I'm almost 37 years old and I only do these projects for fun and to teach myself more about how to code, maybe you should do the same to expand your skills and write your own application. If anybody would like to continue the project, that's obviously up to them and I wouldn't care at all. I would even help explain the code to anybody who cares. I took it down because it was the right thing to do for me...

That's a very easy position to respect, Dojafoja. Nevertheless, I'd like to thank you for your code and the value it provided to me.

Reactions: dojafoja

dojafoja

life elevated
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a very easy position to respect, Dojafoja. Nevertheless, I'd like to thank you for your code and the value it provided to me.
Thank you for understanding my position and I'm glad you enjoyed my work. It wasn't an easy decision for me to take it down because when you invest so much time into a project you want people to use it, you really do! I've learned a lot by raising little humans and like I said, this kind of stuff goes against what you are trying to teach them. My username alone raises questions, LOL

Reactions: HeroOfTime

ornryactor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My sentiments exactly.

Dojafoja, I was an elementary and middle school teacher for quite a while. I not only sympathize with your position and outlook with respect to your children, I commend you for honoring your own values when questioned with them. You 'sacrificed' a project that you put time and effort into, and you did so for a reason worthy of anyone's respect. I was occasionally in a similar position with my students, and can appreciate the challenge inherent in that kind of self-reflection.

That said, like HeroOfTime, I'm glad to have a copy of your work to benefit my quality of life during a rough patch for me; thank you for your contribution here.

HeroOfTime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for understanding my position and I'm glad you enjoyed my work. It wasn't an easy decision for me to take it down because when you invest so much time into a project you want people to use it, you really do! I've learned a lot by raising little humans and like I said, this kind of stuff goes against what you are trying to teach them. My username alone raises questions, LOL

I do face a similar moral dilemma with the grand-kids so I know where you're coming from. Unfortunately, I can't claim to get the reference from your username (I'm older than you).

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad that you were able to avert your moral crisis by removing the entire repository.. I hope that you did it in time to have your soul saved from the perils of sin.. You did some great work and I thought it was a very awesome program.. I appreciate all of the time and effort you put in to it to help people.. Stay cool!

For every one else on here: Note that this program was more or less a wrapper for FunKiiU any way, so you can still do what you need to do, just maybe have to work with a command-line instead of a GUI.. There are 2 reasons I can think of why you should probably use FunKiiU over FunKii-UI any way:
1: FunKii-UI has a bug, even in the latest version, that some times causes incorrectly-sized files to download..
2: He removed the repository for a reason, and would probably prefer that every one stop using it. He didn't specifically ask every one to stop using it because he knows it is impossible to make every one stop using it if they have already downloaded it before now, but if he was okay with people continuing to use his work he probably would have left the repository standing.. I'm deleting my version of FunKii-UI off of my computer and using FunKiiU from now on.. I would imagine he would be happy if all of you did the same..

dojafoja

life elevated
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm glad that you were able to avert your moral crisis by removing the entire repository.. I hope that you did it in time to have your soul saved from the perils of sin.. You did some great work and I thought it was a very awesome program.. I appreciate all of the time and effort you put in to it to help people.. Stay cool!

For every one else on here: Note that this program was more or less a wrapper for FunKiiU any way, so you can still do what you need to do, just maybe have to work with a command-line instead of a GUI.. There are 2 reasons I can think of why you should probably use FunKiiU over FunKii-UI any way:
1: FunKii-UI has a bug, even in the latest version, that some times causes incorrectly-sized files to download..
2: He removed the repository for a reason, and would probably prefer that every one stop using it. He didn't specifically ask every one to stop using it because he knows it is impossible to make every one stop using it if they have already downloaded it before now, but if he was okay with people continuing to use his work he probably would have left the repository standing.. I'm deleting my version of FunKii-UI off of my computer and using FunKiiU from now on.. I would imagine he would be happy if all of you did the same..
The "bug" you're referring to is actually a workaround for a real bug in FunkiiU. FunkiiU gets the file size from the TMD, which is technically the decrypted file size. When FunkiiU verifies the file size it checks the encrypted size, not the decrypted size. In rare cases these don't match. FunkiiU will throw away the download if the sizes don't match. It doesn't necessarily mean it's corrupt since these rare cases do exist of encrypted size not matching decrypted size. The only way to fix it is to decrypt the files and check the sizes against what is reported in the TMD. This would require the Commonkey and some on-the-fly decryption. Or I could have eliminated filesize verification altogether. What I chose to do is keep the download if the encrypted size doesn't match the expected decrypted size and issue a warning that the sizes don't match. Go ahead and download those same titles with FunkiiU and it will throw them away even though they are perfectly fine. It is more or less a wrapper for FunkiiU except the version of FunkiiU that shipped with this was pretty heavily modified for my gui. Your reply came off as condescending and somewhat spiteful. I simply chose to no longer host the code on Github. If i wanted to punish users who already use the program I would have done what Hikari did with USBHelper and publish a self destructing update. If you want to remove your copy of the program in favor of FunkiiU that is your prerogative and completely fine. If you are doing it because you are mad at me or something then I encourage you to look at the commits for FunkiiU because I provided several bug fixes to the project. Im the one who updated it to work with the new key site domain, as well as change the way it works to accept any url provided instead of forcing it via a MD5 hash check. I also fixed the crashes caused by obscure Unicode characters such as the Roman numeral in Street Fighter II, etc. I added an option to disable SSL that prevented certain users, all from Germany for some reason, from using it as well. There also a memory leak bug in FunkiiU that hasn't been fixed that doesn't close the open socket for each file downloaded until you terminate the application. This could potentially lead to hundreds, if not thousands, of open sockets in memory. This was fixed in the version provided with Funkii-UI. I knew some people would be upset by my decision but it is what it is.

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I didn't realize that you fixed a lot of bugs that were in funkiiu.. You did some really good work and what ever the morality of making such a program is, a lot of people appreciated your work, including me.. And I liked funkii-UI because it used python and so it ran on my linux distrobution just fine, so I didn't have to go searching for a windows computer some where to use it..

You are an amazing person and I'm sorry if my previous post came off as a little condescending.. I am a horrible person and my soul is probably marked for hell after I die for the types of morals I hold.. And I think you should remember this when deciding how moral your program was: You were trying to help people, for free with out charging any thing, and thanklessly using your own time and energy to do it.. And as far as I see it, the people that may have decided to use your program to do any thing shady is on them, not you..

I've actually very recently put my wii-u up in to the closet for now though since there are no new games for it any more (pretty much same for 3DS too), and I've pretty much moved on to using the switch now.. But your program helped me a lot during the time that I did use the wii-u.. You made stuff a lot easier to use and I thought it was very cool.. And I would surmise that if you are putting lots of thought in to how to raise your kids the best way possible, you are probably a pretty cool dad I would imagine.. I'm not sure how much you will be hanging around gbatemp any more, but even if you don't find many reasons to stay here I hope you can just try to relax and enjoy life and have fun..

Any way that is all i have to say for now.. love and light

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended