ROM Hack A question about PM4 translating

Elanor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all, hi everyone! Newbie to the forum here
blink.gif

Just recently I've been looking into translating Princess Maker 4: Special Edition (I'm pretty sure the Uk will never see a release lol) - don't worry about suggesting romhacking tutorial links, I've already read through them and have an understanding of hex editing and tables etc.

My question is this: after unpacking the .nds file, I came up with a bunch of .c files and a .bin file which I assume is to be opened and edited in a hex editor. However every hex editor I open it with (and I've tried a few, believe me) just comes up with what looks like mojibake.
unsure.gif

So could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or perhaps suggest a unicode hex editor that will show the Japanese characters?

Thankyou!
yaynds.gif

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As far as I remember, there was some problem with the game's files, it's not as simple as opening and editing them, but that was discussed in the Princess Maker translation thread some pages back.. search for it and you should find some information about the romhacking of the game.

But the ppl who wanted to do a translation before gave up because the hacking was unpossible.
frown.gif

Elanor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Aaah ok I will check that out asap
smile.gif
thankyou for letting me know so quickly!:)
That sucks that there is some problem with the files
frown.gif
I just thought I was being a noob! Hopefully something can be done about it..:s

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For reference the .c files are as the name implies (incomplete) source code for the game- the devs left it in there for whatever reason. Quite useful for looking at but never used in the game itself.

Elanor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah that was what I thought!
smile.gif
I translated some of it just for personal info haha, but I am determined to figure out a way to translate the actual game
ninja.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence -