A question about learning to program

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Moots, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Moots
    OP

Moots The Incredible Sulk

Sep 19, 2007
    Canada
    Niagara Region, Ontario
    Okay so I am a single dad, juggling two jobs and I want to get into programming on my spare time.

I don't have time to take classes so my only option is learning online/books.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what would be a good language to start with, and if they know any good books I could look into.

Thanks in advance.

2. CockroachMan

CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Jan 14, 2006
    Brazil
    Brazil
    Pascal is a good language to learn, it was made to teach people how to program, not very useful to make real programs, but still a good start.. most good Computer Science courses that I know use it to teach the basics of programming..

If you want something more pratical, you could try Javascript, Flash (Actionscript) or Python.. those are cool to just "have fun" [​IMG]

3. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    My vote is Python. It's a very easy beginning language to learn to use or you can go with Visual Basic.

4. Westside

Westside Sogdiana

Dec 18, 2004
    Uzbekistan
    Guantanamo bay
    C# is something new to learn, but can be rather complex. Java was rather easy for me, but I don't really like it that much.

5. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    Python is easy just to play around with, and once you get a better understanding how everything works, try your hand at C/++