A prototype of Gears of War 3 for the PlayStation 3 has been made available online

Gears of War, a series known for its exclusivity to Xbox consoles, was once in development for a Sony system. A prototype build of Gears of War 3 for the PlayStation 3 has been uploaded by its owner to the internet, preserving the unreleased game. PixelButts, the one behind the "leak" described the beta as a demo build that Epic Games was working on in order to test how the engine ran on the PS3. The build was created exactly 10 years ago, in May 2011, but remained unusable and unplayable until last year. According to the Archive.org post, the game will not run on anything except specifically devkit PS3s, as they have extra RAM that helps the game to run. Currently, PS3 emulator RPCS3 does boot the game, but cannot get past the title screen. While the public release of the prototype is new, gameplay footage has previously been documented running on a devkit, and can been seen in the video linked above.

This is an archive of the original data built by Epic Games on May 19 2011 for Gears of War 3 for PS3 systems. Originally created during an engine test, and leaked 10 years ago and remained unusable data while circulating between collectors and exchanging hands. I was the first person to get this data working 9 years later, and decided now that it's time to release it on the 10th anniversary of this build being made (May 19 2021). To date, this is the only Epic-made data for a PS3 version of the game, as all others have been made with leaked source code.

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm ignorant for thinking Sony makes better consoles for very legitimate reasons?

Also I edited my first post because saying "Microsoft should die" is a bad way to communicate my point.
that sounds like elitism and if sony was the only one running the show it would be very bad for everyone. Sony is only good because they have to compete with the likes of Microsoft and Nintendo. they have to make their products nice not because they can but because they have to in order to survive.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point as that Gears is like their only exclusive right now outside of Halo.

Even assuming that were true, which a simple google search would prove false, you're saying they need Gears to survive, even though their other exclusive has sold 3 times more copies overall.

D

Deleted User

I was disappointed with Xbox one and sold it when I bought a gaming PC. PC is in my opinion Microsoft's #1 priority these days anyway Xbox is just throwing fans a bone since they've been doing it for 20 years. But for someone that actually pays attention Microsoft has been acquiring quite a few developers including Bethesda, Arkane Studios, Double Fine, Ninja Theory and Obsidian. So for anyone to have this notion that they're on their deathbed gaming wise is just plain stupid. Not to mention Forza is huge, they still got Rare and others.

I don't personally care about Minecraft but it's huge and they own it too.

Last edited by ,

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ignorant for thinking Sony makes better consoles for very legitimate reasons?

Also I edited my first post because saying "Microsoft should die" is a bad way to communicate my point.

Sorry for posting so many replies, there's just so much wrong here.

They both make middle-range PCs as their consoles now, aside from the gimmicks they may throw in the controllers there is no substantial difference between their hardware, neither one is better than the other, it just comes down to which games you want or which console you grew up playing and now blindly defend.

D

Deleted User

Sorry for posting so many replies, there's just so much wrong here.

They both make middle-range PCs as their consoles now, aside from the gimmicks they may throw in the controllers there is no substantial difference between their hardware, neither one is better than the other, it just comes down to which games you want or which console you grew up playing and now blindly defend.
Sony's great because they also make consoles they don't have anything I want. I only really think they're better on the whole because while I don't particularly care for their exclusives, their's are at least more plentiful and have the slightest bit more variety. Also Microsoft seems to deliberately go out of its way to piss me off at any turn but that's a story for another day. Imma gonna stop replying here so say anything else you happen to want to say now.

D

Deleted User

We're talking about a company so rich they could buy entire countries. They aren't going anywhere get over it. If you don't like them fine but don't expect any of their games to show up on the system you want just to make you happy.

Reactions: nikeymikey

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony's great because they also make consoles they don't have anything I want. I only really think they're better on the whole because while I don't particularly care for their exclusives, their's are at least more plentiful and have the slightest bit more variety. Also Microsoft seems to deliberately go out of its way to piss me off at any turn but that's a story for another day. Imma gonna stop replying here so say anything else you happen to want to say now.

That's a great way to go through arguments, just pretend you have a point.

Edit: I forgot to say what I wanted to say at first, which is I hope the game can run on RPCS3 at some point, It would be great to not need separate hardware to run it.

Last edited by Edgarska,
D

Deleted User

That's a great way to go through arguments, just pretend you have a point.

Edit: I forgot to say what I wanted to say at first, which is I hope the game can run on RPCS3 at some point, It would be great to not need separate hardware to run it.
I'm not "pretending" I had point, because I did. I wanted to mention that I wish these games were on Sony consoles instead of Microsoft consoles because I don't like Microsoft's consoles, soooo I did.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

"Very legitimate reasons"... That's VERY subjective.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not "pretending" I had point, because I did. I wanted to mention that I wish these games were on Sony consoles instead of Microsoft consoles because I don't like Microsoft's consoles, soooo I did.

Like this right here... You're opinionated. That's fine... But... Don't talk like your opinions are stone cold facts. They're not.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Not a huge loss it was never released. ps3 already have a perfect clone of it called uncharted. Plot just as senseless and gameplay just as rudimentary.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was disappointed with Xbox one and sold it when I bought a gaming PC. PC is in my opinion Microsoft's #1 priority these days anyway Xbox is just throwing fans a bone since they've been doing it for 20 years. But for someone that actually pays attention Microsoft has been acquiring quite a few developers including Bethesda, Arkane Studios, Double Fine, Ninja Theory and Obsidian. So for anyone to have this notion that they're on their deathbed gaming wise is just plain stupid. Not to mention Forza is huge, they still got Rare and others.

I don't personally care about Minecraft but it's huge and they own it too.

If only Rare could tap into their Killer Instinct and make a new game that expands upon the 2013 game...

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Same attitude as people who want any non-Steam PC store in existence to wither away.
To be fair, GOG is really the only Steam competitor that does things different in a good way. Origin, UPlay, EGS, and most others I can think of are all just half-assed Steam clones with less than a tenth of the features. Without them I doubt the PC gaming industry would be much different, third-party key sites would still exist and all that.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well this is new. It'd be really nice if they decided to switch exclusivity to Sony consoles so Microsoft could stop making consoles permanently.

images (8).jpeg

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well this is new. It'd be really nice if they decided to switch exclusivity to Sony consoles so Microsoft could stop making consoles permanently.

Good lord, Sony fanboys truly are built differently. Y'all gotta go touch grass or something because I assure you, these multi-billion dollar corporations don't care about you in the slightest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true