MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
By Charlie on February 26, 2012 1:33 pm on Blogs, Current Gen, Slider
So the next Pokemon game was revealed in Japan to be Pokemon Gray Pokemon Black and White 2? This is slightly getting ridiculous, with Nintendo throwing out Pokemon games on the Nintendo DS as if we actually want them now. I mean I know they sell, but they sell to little kids, not to people my age. I’m surprised kids actually understand the franchise, what with there being hundreds of Pokemon, where the story really started back at Pokemon Red/Blue. Sure, every Pokemon game starts off as if you were a new trainer, but you never actually learn the premise of Pokemon in the world like you did in previous games. The franchise needs help. It needs a proper console game that starts at the beginning.
And I don’t mean like the utterly shit “Pokemon Battle Revolution”, which ultimately people believed was going to be a proper Pokemon Wii game, until it turned out to be an overly priced game where you take your Pokemon to a massive 3D arena. You couldn’t even send every Pokemon to those arenas, since 3D models weren’t made for every Pokemon. If the Wii U’s console concept actually works, then Nintendo better get on in there and ask one of their developers of Pokemon (preferably Game Freak of course) to make a proper Pokemon console game. I actually came up with a format that could see the franchise flourish onto consoles that will actually make the other regions more fun.
First of all, Nintendo should publish a game called “Pokemon Kanto” for the Wii U, where it has all 151 Kanto Pokemon, all 8 gym leaders, and where everything has 3D models. On the TV, you could have your Pokemon fighting in an environment, whilst on the handheld screen controller, you have all your options; Fight, Run, Items and Pokemon. It would work perfectly. It’s almost like the Wii U is built for a Pokemon game. Rather than in a DS game, where you move one square at a time, “Pokemon Kanto” would be like any other Third-Person RPG, where you run around the environment freely. The story doesn’t have to be related to Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow or the TV series. Instead, Nintendo should start the story from scratch, with it’s own unique story, but keeping iconic people like the gym leaders and “Team Rocket”. Nintendo could also include monthly tournaments, where people don’t have to leave their own home to win cool in-game prizes, like “Rare Candies” for runners up, a super rare Pokemon like Mew for the tournament winner and so forth. You could even have close relationships with your Pokemon, where feeding them nice treats shows their affection to you.
Then after 2 years of the game being released, Nintendo could release “Pokemon Johto”. Here, the story of your game could work two ways:
1. If you played Pokemon Kanto, your story choices carry through and so do your Pokemon, just like a game like Mass Effect does.
2. New players who start at Pokemon Johto will begin their own story that will carry on through “Pokemon Hoenn”, “Pokemon Sinnoh” and “Pokemon Unova”.
As I just mentioned, Nintendo could go through the full works, releasing each region as a Pokemon game every 2-3 years, rather than a Pokemon game every year that releases with a bunch of unnecessary versions.What could also be done throughout all games is that every game’s region can be linked together. Say you bought Pokemon Kanto, Johto and Hoenn, and you’re playing on Pokemon Hoenn. You should be allowed to go back into Kanto with your Pokemon through the use of your saved data. Sure, it might mean a bit of disc swapping, but that should be fine considering the Wii U’s supposed power. Each region in Pokemon would also have their own stories too. You could also go as far as to do quests in the game, for example: “Go catch me a Pidgey” or “I lost my glasses. Find them will you?”, such as the ones you get in the DS games, except they’re more rewarding and they actually appear as quests.
And heck, why not throw in 2-4 player co-op, where you can invite your friends into your game world and you can explore the regions and catch Pokemon together?
If Nintendo did all of this, then they could save Pokemon, because it would be a nice fresh start to the series for the console side, and would be a game that I’m sure all ages would enjoy.

Source

Reactions: 2 people

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who the fuck is charlie? sounds so random... besides I aint gonna read that wall! :lol:
I laugh at "save the franchise"... It needs to be saved? I think not... still sells like no other

Someday we will get the MMORPG that everyone is dreaming.... we just have to wait

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
A Pokemon game with real time movement and control for the battles would be interesting. You know, actually CONTROLLING the Pokemon for once? It wouldn't be too hard, either. The control scheme could even take a page from the original Pokemon Stadium, where the 4 moves were each assigned to a different button.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say: Seeing nerdy teen bloggers complain about a game that is unreleased solely based off the title is incredibly amusing to me. More so than I thought it would be.

D

Deleted User

Wait, Something that sells millions and has high ratings needs saving?

The only problem with Pokemon was its horrible anime.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
haha, no arguing there. I basically completely dropped out of the whole franchise (unless you want to be technical and count Super Smash Bros.) the moment G2 came out (except for occasionally playing around with ROMs of newer games, just to see what they're like).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The franchise definitely needs be saved from a constant string of high sales and relatively highish review scores.

Also there's a reason Pokemon does well as a portable RPG and not as a console RPG. Plus all the console RPG games are bogged down with really cut down gameplay mechanics and really stupid storylines.

Blasphemy! Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome!

They were pretty shit.

I enjoyed them as a kid but when you're a kid you're basically classifiable as mentally challenged. Watch it again and try telling me it has genuinely good animation, characters, plots, and humor in a way that doesn't use the word "nostalgic".

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The franchise definitely needs be saved from a constant string of high sales and relatively highish review scores.

Also there's a reason Pokemon does well as a portable RPG and not as a console RPG. Plus all the console RPG games are bogged down with really cut down gameplay mechanics and really stupid storylines.

Blasphemy! Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome!

They were pretty shit.

I enjoyed them as a kid but when you're a kid you're basically classifiable as mentally challenged. Watch it again and try telling me it has genuinely good animation, characters, plots, and humor in a way that doesn't use the word "nostalgic".

Well it is designed for kids and obviously now it doesnt look appealing because season 1 came out like what 1998? For 1998 times, yeah it had good graphics and a good storyline and funny humour. If the plots, animation and humour were on par with programmes now. It'd mean no progress has been made in over a decade and i'd be worried.
Its almost like saying the ps1 is a crappy console. It was the boss in its days, Everyone took their memory cards and games to others houses to play some tekken 3 and crash bandicoot.

But i have to admit a good console free roam would be awesome for pokemon. If done right, it could be epic, but obviously pocket monsters belong in your pocket.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure Pokemon is solely a kids show. What I mean is, unlike in America, there is no need to create extensive love stories, long overdrawn plots, or anything of that nature. In Japan, there is anime for practically every age group, and it's only viewed as a weak show by us, in our 20s, because we don't share the same interests in shows as their target demographic.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure Pokemon is solely a kids show. What I mean is, unlike in America, there is no need to create extensive love stories, long overdrawn plots, or anything of that nature. In Japan, there is anime for practically every age group, and it's only viewed as a weak show by us, in our 20s, because we don't share the same interests in shows as their target demographic.
Exactly. Their target audience wasn't adults that play Pokemon, unfortunately.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, "designed for kids" is not an excuse for lousy quality.

Let's look at Avatar: The Last Airbender. It was marketed at kids and shown on a kid's network. But it's a good show, period. Characters develop, plots are interesting, animation is fantastic (NO MOTHERFUCKING SPEED LINES), and it's able to weave such an interesting universe and story that it's uncanny.

EDIT: Thought I'd specify I'm talking about the show and not that shit live action garbage. Wasted fifteen fucking dollars on that lousy piece of ass backwash.

It's what sets Pixar films aside from, I don't know, Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: Chipwrecked. Pixar films are enjoyable to all audiences. If you're an adult and you're enjoying Alvin and the Chipmunks then you must be buzzed out of your mind or mentally challenged.

So no, "designed for children" is not an excuse for lousy television. It's a shit show with shit characters, shit plot, and shit animation. It's a terrible marketing tool to expand the Pokemon brand and essentially hypnotize kids into buying merchandise. If you were a 90's kid who watched Pokemon, you didn't just watch Pokemon. You bought the games. You saw the movies. You bought the cards. You bought the toys. It's one piece of a giant marketing puzzle, and that piece is also covered in poo.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Let's look at Avatar: The Last Airbender. It was marketed at kids and shown on a kid's network. But it's a good show, period. Characters develop, plots are interesting, animation is fantastic (NO MOTHERFUCKING SPEED LINES), and it's able to weave such an interesting universe and story that it's uncanny.

EDIT: Thought I'd specify I'm talking about the show and not that shit live action garbage. Wasted fifteen fucking dollars on that lousy piece of ass backwash.

It's what sets Pixar films aside from, I don't know, Alvin and the Chipmunks 2: Chipwrecked. Pixar films are enjoyable to all audiences. If you're an adult and you're enjoying Alvin and the Chipmunks then you must be buzzed out of your mind or mentally challenged.

So no, "designed for children" is not an excuse for lousy television. It's a shit show with shit characters, shit plot, and shit animation. It's a terrible marketing tool to expand the Pokemon brand and essentially hypnotize kids into buying merchandise. If you were a 90's kid who watched Pokemon, you didn't just watch Pokemon. You bought the games. You saw the movies. You bought the cards. You bought the toys. It's one piece of a giant marketing puzzle, and that piece is also covered in poo.
You are comparing American animation to Japanese anime. Neither of the things you listed are solely for kids. Pokemon was made with the intent of only kids watching it.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
They were pretty shit.

No you aren't. you don't give kids enough credit. :-p

And I have quite a few times (though not in the past year and a half or so). I do agree that the animation bit. It was choppy, even compared to most anime. But it used traditional animation for (to my memory) the vast majority of the original series without resorting to unsightly random CGI models, and I'm really happy for that since modern kids' animes resort to that SO much (Sonic X and Kirby: Right Back at Ya, anyone?).

Is it nostalgic for me? yeah, of course. If I hadn't grown up with it I almost certainly would have dismissed it as just another kids show today. But that's just it: It's a kid show. viewing it not through nostalgic lenses, but "It's a show for kids" lens, it's written out pretty well, I believe.

PS: Team Rocket Jessie/James/Meowth still rank in my favorite villains of all time. lol

With respect, it sounds to me like you're taking the "markertng tool" aspect and trying to use that to justify your demonization of it in every other respect. And Avatar, like Pokemon, was designed for kids. But just because a kids show is enjoyable/unenjoyable to adults doesn't determine whether it's a good show or not. The whole "nostalgia" example could easily be applied to the likes of Bugs bunny and any other cartoon one may have grown up with. Is Bugs Bunny entertaining? Sure, it's hilarious, but the only thing that truly differentiates it from other shows for me is the fact that I grew up with it. There's nothing particular fantastic about it, except the outstanding animation and voice acting.

And the "speed lines" bit really proves nothing. You're taking an artistic style choice (that many animes use) and appying it as a reason why an "Western Anime" is better. It's just a difference of cultural artistic preference.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are comparing American animation to Japanese anime. Neither of the thing you listed as solely for kids. Pokemon was made with the intent of only kids watching it.

Avatar was designed for kids too. But it ended up being good enough to be enjoyable for both children and adults. Same can be said for other particularly good animated series (the 90's Batman stuff If I recall correctly, Gargoyles is apparently excellent as well although I haven't seen it in years).

Pokemon is not getting a pass because it's Japanese or its target audience is children. It's a shit show that's only viewed by its former fans as "nostalgic" or from adults as "that painful experience you sit through because your kid dragged you into it".

There is literally nothing good about the show, it is simply inexcusable. I watched the show hardcore as a kid. I waited every Saturday morning for it to come on and I couldn't wait for the next episode. But I've grown up now. I can view things objectively, and through terms of plot, characters, and animation, compared to other children's shows, it does not hold up at all nor did it hold up when it was created.

EDIT: I realize animation at the time wasn't as advanced as Avatar but c'mon. It'd basically just be a static image of a Pokemon drifting across the screen with speedlines. For every attack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm