1. NR74W

NR74W Member
    Newcomer

France
    Nowadays WipEout could perhaps be considered "not so remembered" games, but they were popular games back in the day.
    WO aside, Kurukuru Kururin (for GBA) means a lot to me, so simple and at the same time I don't know how to describe why it's special to me. It's too bad that it was a very short lived series, with 3 games and only the game I mentionned got localized, in Europe only.

Live-A-Live, for the SFC/SNES. Years ago I discovered this game, recommended on the forums here. It was quite original and the music is excellent too, the different scenarios makes the game varied and unique (although I could never finish the true last chapter as I didn't know where to go). Definitely worth checking out : https://www.romhacking.net/translations/381/

Lagrange Point, for the Famicom. It has a somewhat generic RPG feel to it, but the music and the overall ambiance really stands out, and the gameplay is very similar to Mother 1/EB0. Unsurprisingly, it's also Nintendo hard (for real; the random encounters can be very bothersome, using the fast-forward option on an emulator is a must), with a very steep difficulty curve toward the end.
    A friendly advice: you should read this (spoiler-free) FAQ after you reached the second half part of the game (or any time, really) : https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/570557-lagrange-point/faqs/56320

If you wonder what exactly I'm talking about, there's an (optional, IIRC) item which can be obtained somewhere in the game, called "Kazu's Defense" which stops random encounters for a limited time, that's pretty nice. But guess what, this item is unique.
    Use it only at the very last place (when you get there, read the FAQ before doing so!) in the game... Or you will regret it.

Past that point the enemies (several at once!) for the random encounters are so powerful (Bosses-like with thousands of HP), you won't ever survive after a few fights to get to the end unless you avoid the battles with the precious item.
    A semi-spoiler, maybe but absolutely nothing in the game will tell you how vital this item is. Now you know, it can kill your playthrough if you were not prepared for this as the enemies will wear out your team in no time before you get to the final boss (it's even more complicated than that, actually). An example of bad video game design, I guess.

Although, with an emulator cheats can be used at any time, so there's always a way to finish the game... Save states will be useful too, some health status are quite lethal, the RNG tends to be merciless.

Another useful tip, after a certain point (when you get to Satellite Base) you will be able to use the weapon combinations feature (buy weapons in shops, then fuse them at the place I mentionned. In other words, crafting).
    The weapons available at shops won't be enough so you must use this feature, but it's costly (and ineffective) to randomly test combinations... This post may be the only place on the Internet with the list of all weapons : https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/570557-lagrange-point/75160146

If you are curious about the VRC7 sounds (the only game with music made for this chip) and if you liked the original Mother, you won't be disappointed : https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2294/
    I can't help but think it may have influenced Policenauts - mostly the space colony setting, both games were developed by Konami. This game seems almost completely unknown. I hope more people will discover it.

Policenauts, well-known but still somewhat obscure. I wanted to love this game but I don't know, so many good ideas and elements yet I was disappointed until the end. If only it was... different. I preferred Snatcher a lot more.
    Old L.A. 2040 was everything I wanted Policenauts to be, that music alone is worth checking out.
    At the time there was only the translation of the PSOne version available, since then the (superior) Saturn version translation has been released, if you want to check them out :
    PS : https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1422/
    Saturn :https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2744/

And a last one, Rareware games are quite popular but for some reasons Blast Corps (N64) never seems to get much love. That game is plain crazy, destroy everything to make a path for the red truck (SCAL, based on a real brand isn't it?). Not just any truck, mind you, it's actually one carrying damaged nukes for a safe detonation site and must not ever be touched, and cannot even stop. You can use a varied set of vehicles (a buggy, a motorcycle with rocket launchers, a flying mech, a van, a robot prototype, a truck and even special ones: boat, crane, train...)
    Cool musics composed by Graeme Norgate, known for his work on GE007 and the TimeSplitters series. The theme of BC (Glory Crossing, also used for the level of the same name) is simply epic, perfect for the emergency situation at hand.
    Overall an original game with plenty of contents (and post-game contents), one of those which are easy to play but (very) difficult to master. Getting the Platinum medals is just way too hard however, but that's only if you want to 100% the game. Good memories :)

I much prefer the SFA version of the blue vixen, so I'm glad we got StarFox Adventures. Although I wish Dinosaur Planet was released too, but that's wishful thinking.
    By the way, thanks for creating the Krystal mod for SSBB!

the_randomizer likes this.
  2. LolcatPlays

LolcatPlays GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    There's a decent 60fps patch for the PSP one

3. StarveBread

StarveBread Newbie
    Newcomer

Philippines
    Chicken Invaders, the first PC game I played.

Remember getting my first laptop and it had it installed. It ran like crap but boy was it a lot fun.

osm70 likes this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States

You mean Krystal? Who doesn't like that character? :creep:

NR74W likes this.
  5. LolcatPlays

LolcatPlays GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

6. Superdopper

Superdopper Newbie
    Newcomer

Ireland
    From the spectrum and Amiga generation it has to be manic miner and Cannon fodder... still classics

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Not so well remember but loved would have to be nifty lifty on the spectrum and scorched tanks on Amiga

7. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

United Kingdom
    Bounty Bob Strikes Back!! Atari 800XL, back in the 80's i got my first, although unknown to me at the time, experience of piracy involving this game.
    I must of been 8 or 9 years old, My parents had a salesman of some sort who had come to the house to measure up or whatever. When he noticed we had the 800xl he was immediately forgot he was working and started talking to my dad about the computer. Turns out he had one himself and was very into it. Anyway he ended up leaving with my disk copy of Spy Hunter, which he would return the next evening with Bounty Bob and another game copied on to the B side of my Spy Hunter disk.

It was only years later when i was heavily into the amiga copying craze at my school, that i realised Bounty Bob was my first pirated game.

Its still a great game to play now, i give it a go through emulation every now and then. Its was also on the C64.

8. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox fox-ott

United States
    Shining Soul II was a lot of fun for me on the GBA.

[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Soul_II

The story was terrible lol. But it for some reason the gameplay loop really held me. Sort of a Diablo-lite experience with a good amount of different characters to try, loads of gear and effects for them, neat levels with interesting art and sprite work, plus lots of secrets. Multiplayer over those old Game Link cables is a cherry on top.

9. UltraDolphinRevolution

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    All pointer-based Wii (U) games mean a lot to me because the industry has gone in the wrong direction and won´t correct its mistake.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Breath Of Fire to on the Game Boy Advance breath-of-fire_5d1b97d20318e.jpeg

11. Vovajka

Vovajka Banned
    Banned

Ukraine
    Chrono Trigger

osm70 likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Sims 2 (Nintendo DS)

Boxart:
    [​IMG]
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_2_(Nintendo_DS)

I just love this game and its soundtracks! I just feel like the version of Sims 2 for the Nintendo DS is never mentioned.
    (Here are ALMOST all of the Sims 2 soundtracks for the Nintendo DS: )

~ PKG :discuss:

13. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    I was umming and ahhing at having a bit of a dig for someone mentioning WipEout (although he himself questioned that one). But Chrono Trigger? I'm not questioning the quality of that game, but 'not-so-remembered'??
    (Really though, I wonder if your average, snotty nosed, 10yo Roblox/Fortnite gamer knows about it...)

Mr Nutz (SNES) for me! Ocean SNES platformers usually ranged from 'okay' to fukkin trash, but this, coming in at a bit of a quiet time in the SNES release list - magical! Played it many times since, will continue to do so, and the flaws are myriad, but I just love it.

Mystaria/Blazing Heroes (Saturn) I'll admit to being late to the party with S-RPGs, usually ignoring them all the way till I picked up a 3DO with Powers Kingdom. Loved that game! And played it since via emulation too (Christ it's old now haha), but Mystaria was a sort of sequel, certainly much improved that again I really loved! No FF Tactics, or Vandal Hearts (oooh does that one qualify?! Who remembers the blood fountains haha) though

14. Anon_Cypher_

Anon_Cypher_ Member
    Newcomer

Lebanon
    Socket and Chiki Chiki Boys for the SEGA Genesis. Totally underated, but freaking fun to play.

15. Sk17

Sk17 Member
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    This:

And this:

Last edited by Sk17, Oct 18, 2020
    osm70 likes this.
  16. Hambrew

Hambrew not your therapist

United States
    Phineas and Ferb: Ride Again for the DS.

This one was great, even though we barely ever watched the show until Disney+ decided to be better than Netflix 2 seconds after it came out. You collect parts to make contraptions, like the show, but then you get to play minigames with them! There are about 5 things to build, but they take forever to get, making it feel like going through a world in Super Mario Bros. 3D Land, and the minigames, while clunky, are still fun. Like, in the first build, a really fast skateboard, you get to race everybody with identical skateboards!

17. HCartin

HCartin Member
    Newcomer

Oh man I loved to play Goof Troop with my cousin when we were lads... I'm from 1993, and I remember owning a SNES, but with limited cartridges. So, for the rest of the games, we tried to emulate them over the Intel Pentium with Windows XP PC of my house. Excellent memories.

[​IMG]

18. PvD79

PvD79 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Forgot to add on my earlier post... Wing Commander 2 on PC. Set the standard for modern gaming imho...

19. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA President Elect of the United States of Reality

United States
    Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

osm70 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  20. Ottoclav

Ottoclav Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    [​IMG]This game is awesome. I wish that it had been a series. It came out pretty close to SNK pulling out from Nintendo software development. Such a fun game that my brothers and I spent many hours playing through many times.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - remembered, means,